Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,050x in 8,898 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyS View Post
    To clarify, the pigs in general or those in charge? IMO, there will never be a Utopian society, no matter how much we long for such a thing to happen. Human nature and all that.
    The pigs are generally in charge one way or another.

I don't expect that there will ever be Utopia, but we can do a great deal better than we do now. We currently live in the equivalent of an Amway plan which is a pyramidal system that depends upon a glut of poor people being suckered into paying to support the rich.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,532x in 55,048 Posts
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyS View Post
    In Utopia, that could happen. Unfortunately, there will always be a pig who feels "all pigs are equal, but some are more equal than others."
    It's that and any given utopia while it looks good on paper never works in reality.

The government is just such a utopia. People tend to like the idea of it, just not the reality.

Instead of changing and perfecting society, why not change yourself, and then a few people around you. Let others do the same. See what emerges bottom up instead of top down. Trust the people, not gradiose ideas of a perfect society.

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    All cultures have evolved. There has never been a point in history where cultures have not added aspects from interactions from foreigners one way or another. What has changed is the ease at which cultures meet. You no longer have to spend several months in a caravan to bring new ideas, foods, spices, recipes or products to another nation. It now happens in an instant. There is a growth in fusion foods and fusion music. It is moving exponentially as are ideas, politics, and information.

Also, FYI, I don't feel compelled to attend festivals or play at any culture. I have friends from many cultures and I enjoy that diversity, but I don't play dress up or intrude on other people's festivals. I also don't embrace all aspects of other cultures. I find other cultures interesting and I do like to understand them as well as the food and music, but I don't condone anything that involves subjugation or violence. You misconstrue my tolerance and interest in difference with some kind of elitist patronage. I don't fear different cultures or people who don't look like me. I find commonality in humanity and enjoy our inventive differences born of our locations on the planet. However we are affecting one and other at an exponential rate. Is that a bad thing? Not really. We are developing more interesting foods and more interesting music and art through our contact with one and other. Cultures that are static become stale.
    And let's remember that evolution does not imply progress, it implies only change, mutations selected for inheritance.

(Also that evolution, while a useful metaphor, operates at the level of genes. No design, no plan, no progress.)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Perhaps the idea of true democracy is that those pigs lose their voice in favor of the whole. We are going through a seriously selfish phase, but it will be followed by a particularly bad phase where people will be disabused of their senses of entitlement. There are tough times ahead that will change the way people think and what they will tolerate.
    You just flipflopped form "My hope is for a global society that values its people and sees the success of humanity as more important the success of individuals" to "Perhaps the idea of true democracy is that those pigs lose their voice in favor of the whole."

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 2,257
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,050x in 8,898 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    You just flipflopped form "My hope is for a global society that values its people and sees the success of humanity as more important the success of individuals" to "Perhaps the idea of true democracy is that those pigs lose their voice in favor of the whole."
    There is no contradiction there, although I note that the word "than" is missing in the sentence: "My hope is for a global society that values its people and sees the success of humanity as more important than the success of individuals"
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    There is no contradiction there, although I note that the word "than" is missing in the sentence: "My hope is for a global society that values its people and sees the success of humanity as more important than the success of individuals"
    OK, yes, that's more consistent with your desire to perfect society through the government.

+ Reply to Thread