Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,315x in 1,041 Posts
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What Happens After You Finish Talking Is Up To Your Audience

"The Constitution guarantees content-neutral access to the marketplace of ideas: You can say whatever you please without fear of violent retribution, no matter how repugnant the beliefs you express may be. What happens after you're finished talking, though, is up to your audience! If they determine that your ideas are good, then good things will happen to you. But the people in your audience also have First Amendment rights, and they are perfectly within those rights to look at the evidence and determine that your freely and publicly professed opinions make you a morally and intellectually bankrupt cretin with whom they have no interest in associating any further. If you lose your fast-food job, or your post-grad employment prospects, or even your invitation to the family reunion as a result, that is no "free-speech violation." That is simply the universe frantically trying to signal to you that perhaps you shouldn’t harbor such $#@!ty opinions in the first place."

https://www.gq.com/story/nazis-free-speech-problem

View image on Twitter

Follow
    NBC Bay Area @nbcbayarea

Top Dog posts message on East Bay store in response to firing of employee reported to have attended Virginia rally. http://nbcbay.com/QEiQBO1
    9:20 AM - Aug 14, 2017

TRUMP 2020

Because Abuse Of Power Is Not An Impeachable Offense

Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mark III's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "
    Cole is not the only stars-and-bars enthusiast who has spent the past 48 hours learning the hard way that actions have consequences. College students James Allsup and Pete Cvjetanovic are frantically disavowing racism in interviews and dealing with a deluge of indignant calls to their respective universities urging that administrators take disciplinary action. (You'll never believe this, but Allsup is the president of his school's College Republicans student group.) For God's sake, one Pete Tefft has already seen his father write to the local newspaper to publicly disown him.

These developments have elicited predictable spates of hand-wringing from some of the loudest and dumbest corners of Pepe Twitter, whose denizens bemoan this as a cruel incursion upon free-speech rights by a militant, intolerant, balaclava-clad left-wing conspiracy that they imagine exists."
    TRUMP 2020

Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mark III's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Asssholeness has consequences.
    TRUMP 2020

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark III For This Useful Post:

Bethere (08-15-2017)

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 1,327
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    resister's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,122x in 7,595 Posts
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A thread celebrating the Death of free speech in America. Bought to us by a "tolerant" liberal. Thread title should read "Bigot fires racist" These were the same people telling us Kapernack "had every right"
    There is no God but Resister and Refugee is his messenger’.

Book of Democrat Things, Chapter 1:1

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,038x in 24,874 Posts
    Mentioned
    886 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, it would be ok for me to fire anybody that attends pro-choice rallies? You're ok with that? I mean, there are consequences to one's actions and as a pro-life advocate I might not want to employ one.

So, it would be ok for me to fire anybody that attends a BLM rally? You're ok with that? I mean, there are consequences to one's actions and as a pro-police advocate I might not want to employ one.

So, it would be ok for me to fire anybody that attends pro-gun-control rallies? You're ok with that? I mean, there are consequences to one's actions and as a pro-2nd Amend advocate I might not want to employ one.

So, it would be ok for me to fire anybody that attends pro-Illegal immigrant rallies? You're ok with that? I mean, there are consequences to one's actions and as a virulent pro-law advocate I might not want to employ one.

I'm just curious. You may be perfectly fine with the above.

[Fair reporting -- I would probably fire someone that was employed by me that went and attended one of those KKK-type rallies. Political affiliation is not a protected class. It is not who we are as a firm and not who we want to be.]
    Last edited by DGUtley; 08-15-2017 at 12:01 PM.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

resister (08-15-2017),Tahuyaman (08-15-2017)

Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 76,962x in 55,590 Posts
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    So, it would be ok for me to fire anybody that attends pro-choice rallies? You're ok with that? I mean, there are consequences to one's actions and as a pro-life advocate I might not want to employ one.

So, it would be ok for me to fire anybody that attends a BLM rally? You're ok with that? I mean, there are consequences to one's actions and as a pro-police advocate I might not want to employ one.

So, it would be ok for me to fire anybody that attends pro-gun-control rallies? You're ok with that? I mean, there are consequences to one's actions and as a pro-2nd Amend advocate I might not want to employ one.

So, it would be ok for me to fire anybody that attends pro-Illegal immigrant rallies? You're ok with that? I mean, there are consequences to one's actions and as a virulent pro-law advocate I might not want to employ one.

[Fair reporting -- I would probably fire someone that was employed by me that went and attended one of those rallies. Political affiliation is not a protected class.]
    I'd be surprised if you got a valid response to that.

Overall activity: 91.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,899x in 54,716 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark III View Post
    Asssholeness has consequences.
    You betcha. Cole is right. But he doesn't say those consequences include violent reactions, or even the full coercive force of the government, only the reactions of the marketplace of ideas.

Overall activity: 91.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,899x in 54,716 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

[Fair reporting -- I would probably fire someone that was employed by me that went and attended one of those KKK-type rallies. Political affiliation is not a protected class. It is not who we are as a firm and not who we want to be.]

I would answer in the affirmative and add all sort of reasons and excuses whatsoever. You should be perfectly free to hire and fire people as you wish within the confines of any contract you make. You should also be open to face any consequences society in the marketplace of ideas and economy impose on you by their choices.

OTOH, the government should not have such freedom, it must follow rule of law and treat all equally.
    Last edited by Chris; 08-15-2017 at 12:27 PM.

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 1,327
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    resister's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,122x in 7,595 Posts
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Evidently, true!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahuyaman View Post
    I'd be surprised if you got a valid response to that.
    There is no God but Resister and Refugee is his messenger’.

Book of Democrat Things, Chapter 1:1

Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 2,545
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Bethere's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,107x in 4,132 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most of my republican friends at tPF think employers should be able to fire for any reason at all that we should have nothing but AT WILL employment.

To hear said AT WILL supporters complain about AT WILL separation would make your mighty bethere laugh.

Hypocrisy is a hoot.

I appreciate the final paragraph. It's inclusion reminds me why you are my friend and gives me hope for the future of this forum.
    Last edited by Bethere; 08-15-2017 at 06:01 PM.

+ Reply to Thread