User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Hateful, Vindictive Psalms?

  1. #1
    Original Ranter
    Points: 139,538, Level: 90
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 3,512
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Mister D's Avatar Unenlightened
    Karma
    23216
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    41,491
    Points
    139,538
    Level
    90
    Thanks Given
    5,504
    Thanked 7,210x in 5,715 Posts
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    277

    Hateful, Vindictive Psalms?

    O daughter of Babylon, you devastated one,
    How blessed will be the one who repays you
    With the recompense with which you have repaid us.
    How blessed will be the one who seizes and dashes your little ones
    Against the rock! (Ps. 137:8–9)2

    What nasty person would say such things? Well—a pretty angry psalmist! This portion of Psalm 137 is one of various “imprecatory psalms” (Pss. 7, 12, 35, 55, 58, 59, 69, 79, 83, 109, 137, 139). “Imprecation” is the calling down of curses or divine judgments on someone. Imprecatory passages have shocked some modern editors into performing “psalmectomies” on psalter hymnals, excising these verses altogether!3 Biblical poetry contains prayers that God break the arm of the wicked (10:15), scatter their bones (53:5), or slay His enemies (139:19). C. S. Lewis calls them “terrible,” “contemptible,” “devilish,” “profoundly wrong,” and “sinful” prayers.4 Shouldn’t we love and pray for our enemies (Matt. 5:43–48)? How can we make sense of these harsh-sounding passages? Perhaps the following acrostic (I-M-P-R-E-C-A-T-I-O-N) can offer guidance.

    http://www.equip.org/articles/hatefu...ctive-psalms-/
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.


    ~Alain de Benoist


  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

    Calypso Jones (11-14-2012),KC (11-14-2012)

  3. #2
    Points: 16,023, Level: 30
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 427
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Calypso Jones's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    3523
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Posts
    3,293
    Points
    16,023
    Level
    30
    Thanks Given
    662
    Thanked 917x in 684 Posts
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    41
    very good.

  4. #3
    Original Ranter
    Points: 139,538, Level: 90
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 3,512
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Mister D's Avatar Unenlightened
    Karma
    23216
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    41,491
    Points
    139,538
    Level
    90
    Thanks Given
    5,504
    Thanked 7,210x in 5,715 Posts
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    277
    Quote Originally Posted by Calypso Jones View Post
    very good.
    Paul Copan's website a lot of good material.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.


    ~Alain de Benoist


  5. #4
    tPF Moderator
    V.I.P
    Points: 59,791, Level: 59
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 559
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First Class1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    KC's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Karma
    18449
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    8,474
    Points
    59,791
    Level
    59
    Thanks Given
    4,026
    Thanked 3,631x in 2,581 Posts
    Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    194
    Interesting read.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

  6. #5
    Points: 25,433, Level: 38
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 217
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassRecommendation Second Class25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Deadwood's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    6488
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, BC - dual citizen
    Posts
    3,472
    Points
    25,433
    Level
    38
    Thanks Given
    2,585
    Thanked 1,750x in 1,197 Posts
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    O daughter of Babylon, you devastated one,
    How blessed will be the one who repays you
    With the recompense with which you have repaid us.
    How blessed will be the one who seizes and dashes your little ones
    Against the rock! (Ps. 137:8–9)2

    What nasty person would say such things? Well—a pretty angry psalmist! This portion of Psalm 137 is one of various “imprecatory psalms” (Pss. 7, 12, 35, 55, 58, 59, 69, 79, 83, 109, 137, 139). “Imprecation” is the calling down of curses or divine judgments on someone. Imprecatory passages have shocked some modern editors into performing “psalmectomies” on psalter hymnals, excising these verses altogether!3 Biblical poetry contains prayers that God break the arm of the wicked (10:15), scatter their bones (53:5), or slay His enemies (139:19). C. S. Lewis calls them “terrible,” “contemptible,” “devilish,” “profoundly wrong,” and “sinful” prayers.4 Shouldn’t we love and pray for our enemies (Matt. 5:43–48)? How can we make sense of these harsh-sounding passages? Perhaps the following acrostic (I-M-P-R-E-C-A-T-I-O-N) can offer guidance.

    http://www.equip.org/articles/hatefu...ctive-psalms-/


    You know, that's what I like about Psalms. You don't have to 'pray" them all, or any for that matter.

    For me they are poetry about emotions felt as a people and, perhaps, reflect more the social maturity of the Hebrew nation than the spiritual development.

    There's a lot of stuff like that in the Bible, probably the whole book of Leviticus, that calls into question whether the Bible is to be taken figuratively in many places. Was there really an Adam and Eve, or is Genesis a metaphor of a kind of "Birth of a Nation."

    So, no. I don't have a problem with them, I can ignore them just like I ignore the law in Leviticus that you have to burn down your house if you get mildew.


  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Deadwood For This Useful Post:

    Chris (11-14-2012)

  8. #6
    Points: 169,855, Level: 98
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 3,795
    Overall activity: 80.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive1 year registered50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    24873
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    50,704
    Points
    169,855
    Level
    98
    Thanks Given
    3,606
    Thanked 9,089x in 7,122 Posts
    Mentioned
    491 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    301
    Have to agree, the Jewish Bible is much broader in scope than the Christian.

  9. #7
    Points: 25,433, Level: 38
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 217
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassRecommendation Second Class25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Deadwood's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    6488
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, BC - dual citizen
    Posts
    3,472
    Points
    25,433
    Level
    38
    Thanks Given
    2,585
    Thanked 1,750x in 1,197 Posts
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Have to agree, the Jewish Bible is much broader in scope than the Christian.
    And much better written. The Proverbs, for instance, are examples of early Hebrew poetry. When examined through that light they become much deeper and richer, often comparing opposites for effect sometimes striking a synonymous tone.

    But again, much of it is as much about day to day life as it is The Story of God. If anything, most of the old testament is reflective of how deep was the faith of the people in the every aspect of their lives.

    The New Testament, though is The Story of God. While some of the letters talk about selective issues of the day, the Gospels have on subject....a Jewish Carpenter and his posse.

    Having said that, there is no better prose than the book of John. His scenic comparisons spanning years is rich, although most of us need them pointed out to us. The others reflect the occupations of the authors and their intended audiences. James is a work of grand prose and a remarkably well written with a strong voice as opposed to overbearing like Paul.

    And, it took 10,000 years to refine and embellish the old testament. The New has been around 2,000 and it presents a huge challenge as it was told in Aramaic, written first in Greek, then Latin then translated into English about the time the printing press was invented.


  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Deadwood For This Useful Post:

    Chris (11-14-2012)

  11. #8
    Original Ranter
    Points: 139,538, Level: 90
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 3,512
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Mister D's Avatar Unenlightened
    Karma
    23216
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    41,491
    Points
    139,538
    Level
    90
    Thanks Given
    5,504
    Thanked 7,210x in 5,715 Posts
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    277
    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    And much better written. The Proverbs, for instance, are examples of early Hebrew poetry. When examined through that light they become much deeper and richer, often comparing opposites for effect sometimes striking a synonymous tone.

    But again, much of it is as much about day to day life as it is The Story of God. If anything, most of the old testament is reflective of how deep was the faith of the people in the every aspect of their lives.

    The New Testament, though is The Story of God. While some of the letters talk about selective issues of the day, the Gospels have on subject....a Jewish Carpenter and his posse.

    Having said that, there is no better prose than the book of John. His scenic comparisons spanning years is rich, although most of us need them pointed out to us. The others reflect the occupations of the authors and their intended audiences. James is a work of grand prose and a remarkably well written with a strong voice as opposed to overbearing like Paul.

    And, it took 10,000 years to refine and embellish the old testament. The New has been around 2,000 and it presents a huge challenge as it was told in Aramaic, written first in Greek, then Latin then translated into English about the time the printing press was invented.
    The Johannine literature was directed toward a particular audience as well.

    It appears that James was written in part to counter Pauline theology or rather a misunderstood Pauline theology (see James 2 specifically) regarding the dichotomy faith and works.
    Last edited by Mister D; 11-14-2012 at 06:51 PM.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.


    ~Alain de Benoist


+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts


Forum Topsite Critical Acclaim
Top Ron Paul Sites - Ranking the best Ron Paul related Freedom and Liberty Websites
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO