User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Sexism" in sexual assault research

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 2,023
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,449x in 11,739 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

"Sexism" in sexual assault research

Sexism is alive and well in sexual assault research, but this time men are the target. A new study conducted by researchers at Florida Atlantic University and Sam Houston State University debunks a long-standing theory that sexual assault isn't as emotionally traumatizing for men as it is for women and that it doesn't result in similar emotional impacts, especially when it comes to depression.

Sexual assault is unwanted sexual contact -- including rape -- and is a traumatizing event linked to numerous mental health consequences associated with negative outcomes such as depression, posttraumatic stress disorder, fear, anxiety, alcohol dependence, use of illicit substances, suicidal ideation, and attempted suicide. While there is extensive research on the collateral consequences experienced by females, almost no research exists on how sexual violence affects adult, non-incarcerated males or how it affects them as compared to females.

Using a sample size of 11,860 adults in the United States (5,922 men and 5,938 women) obtained from the National Violence Against Women Survey's database, the researchers sought to challenge a sociological theory that explains that men are more likely to respond to sexual assault with anger and by engaging in criminal activity, while women are more likely to respond with depression and sadness.
    "Sexism" in sexual assault research, but this time men are the target - ScienceDaily

This is interesting because almost all discussion on this forum about sexual assault or abuse is about females. Rarely does the topic of a male victim come up, and it often comes in the form of "I hope he gets raped in prison", or similar comments (which bothers me).

There definitely seems to be more stigma with males who have been assaulted and I would assume that men are probably less likely to seek help than a woman would be. That probably means that statistics for men are more skewed than they are for women.
    Last edited by Adelaide; 08-30-2017 at 10:32 AM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Adelaide For This Useful Post:

Chris (08-30-2017),Hal Jordan (09-04-2017),IMPress Polly (08-30-2017),Trish (09-04-2017)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,896x in 54,714 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Sexism, as argued by some, is a one-way street (part of group identity politics). It's definitely a two-way thing.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Trish (09-04-2017)

tPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Sexism, as argued by some, is a one-way street (part of group identity politics). It's definitely a two-way thing.
    That is part of why I posted this.

Just the stigma alone surrounding men who have been assaulted is astounding. Add to that, the research that has been done has almost always focused on female victims or on male perpetrators, as though those are the only kind of sexual assaults that happen.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Adelaide For This Useful Post:

Chris (08-30-2017),Hal Jordan (09-04-2017)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    umm, I dunno I dont any guys when I was growing up that would have their feelings hurt by the best looking teachers abusing them a little or alot.

Look at the sheer number of female teachers getting busted for sex with students.
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

tPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    umm, I dunno I dont any guys when I was growing up that would have their feelings hurt by the best looking teachers abusing them a little or alot.

Look at the sheer number of female teachers getting busted for sex with students.
    Male sexual assault is not just about teachers having sex with students. There are incidents in the military, prison, and elsewhere.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Adelaide For This Useful Post:

Trish (09-04-2017)

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,470
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Perianne's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,534x in 1,379 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It happens against males, too. I work in mostly female environment. Male employees suffer sexual abuse and harassment that would not be allowed if they were females in a male environment.

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,804
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,643x in 4,358 Posts
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adelaide:
    This is interesting because almost all discussion on this forum about sexual assault or abuse is about females.
    It's possible that that's because it's estimated that 90% of all rape victims are female.

Because the share of male rape victims is so small compared to females, we as a society unfortunately have developed a tendency to ignore and marginalize those boys and men who are sexually attacked and that's very, very wrong!

Common wrote:
    Actually, 93% of males who are raped are raped by men.

tPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    It's possible that that's because it's estimated that 90% of all rape victims are female.

Because the share of male rape victims is so small compared to females, we as a society unfortunately have developed a tendency to ignore and marginalize those boys and men who are sexually attacked and that's very, very wrong!

Actually, 93% of males who are raped are raped by men.
    It's not actually that small of a group. According to RAINN, 2.78 million males have been sexually assaulted or abused since 1998. 3% of men in the US have experienced sexual assault or abuse. That is more people than many medical studies that are aggressively pursued, and yet the research and literature on sexual assault focuses almost exclusively on female victims and male perpetrators. There may be a small chapter dedicated to males (I have quite a few books on the subject myself) but the entire work focuses on females. That can't be helpful towards the stigma males experience.

Also, and this is not an attack, you kind of legitimized the article by immediately pointing out females experience sexual assault/abuse more than males. I realize it will inevitably come up in this discussion, but it is kind of the point, also.

Something that really bothers me is those that advocate an eye for an eye and wish that people convicted of sex crimes will be raped in prison. No one should be raped. No one deserves to be raped. I do not care what the person may have done, but no one should experience it.

tPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Perianne View Post
    It happens against males, too. I work in mostly female environment. Male employees suffer sexual abuse and harassment that would not be allowed if they were females in a male environment.
    I think you and I worked in the same sector. All female nurses except maybe 3 men, and all female support staff. Also, all female administrative staff, including all supervisors. We had many one male support staff at any given time who was pretty aggressively harassed. The one male would be hired and quit and hired and quit, going through different men. The female staff would gather around the file room and talk about that person sexually. The only male that remained a constant was the head of the entire operation for the region.

No word of a lie, the girls held "3 o'clock $#@! talk" every Friday afternoon.

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,804
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,643x in 4,358 Posts
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adelaide wrote:
    It's not actually that small of a group. According to RAINN, 2.78 million males have been sexually assaulted or abused since 1998. 3% of men in the US have experienced sexual assault or abuse.

Something that really bothers me is those that advocate an eye for an eye and wish that people convicted of sex crimes will be raped in prison. No one should be raped. No one deserves to be raped. I do not care what the person may have done, but no one should experience it.
    I believe my wording was "small compared to females". It's 90% smaller than the number of female victims of those same things.

If you're critique me, please do so honestly. Your reply to me struck me as an attempt to create a disagreement on this topic where none exists. And please quit trying to imply that I'm a man-hater. You've been doing that for three weeks now ever since I answered your question about what social causes are most important to me by naming poverty and women's rights. I don't care for that inference.

I'm a feminist, therefore I must be a heartless $#@! who supports prison rape and thinks the victims of Jerry Sandusky and the Church priests can walk it off because they're male and thinks research should be biased in favor of women, right? Is that really what you think of me?
    Last edited by IMPress Polly; 09-03-2017 at 11:16 AM.

+ Reply to Thread