User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Never Taught In Our Pubic Schools. A Time When More Slaves In The Americas Were White

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,474x in 36,449 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Slavery, generally speaking, was always a much smaller enterprise in North America than it was in the sugar growing regions.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,627
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    KC's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,042x in 2,810 Posts
    Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    Americans assumed the same thing prior to the invention of the cotton gin. The fact is that it took a major war and the utter devestation of the southern USA to achieve what northern capitalists desired.
    That's true, but that doesn't mean the demand for slaves wouldn't have dried up eventually, does it? Obviously we didn't end slavery until after the Civil War, and even then it was over in name only. By that I mean blacks in the south were still treated harshly and still usually worked for their former masters. But eventually I think the rise of the green revolution and other technologies that drastically simplified farming would have brought down the demand. Then again, Hispanic immigrants are still exploited on farms today. I concede the point.

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kathaariancode View Post
    That's true, but that doesn't mean the demand for slaves wouldn't have dried up eventually, does it? Obviously we didn't end slavery until after the Civil War, and even then it was over in name only. By that I mean blacks in the south were still treated harshly and still usually worked for their former masters. But eventually I think the rise of the green revolution and other technologies that drastically simplified farming would have brought down the demand. Then again, Hispanic immigrants are still exploited on farms today. I concede the point.
    I'm only disagreeing with the claim of inevitability. I just don't think that's true. The economic benefits of a slave labor system could have had ups and downs just like it has had in the past. American intellectuals thought slavery was on the ropes in the late 18th Century but boy were they wrong. It came back with a vengeance.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,627
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    KC's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,042x in 2,810 Posts
    Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm only disagreeing with the claim of inevitability. I just don't think that's true. The economic benefits of a slave labor system could have had ups and downs just like it has had in the past. American intellectuals thought slavery was on the ropes in the late 18th Century but boy were they wrong. It came back with a vengeance.
    This is true. That's why the founders didn't think it was important to do anything about slavery at the time. You'd think I would be more keen on all of this, given that my high school history teacher was a Marxist by the name of Che. Not even joking, that was his name.

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kathaariancode View Post
    This is true. That's why the founders didn't think it was important to do anything about slavery at the time. You'd think I would be more keen on all of this, given that my high school history teacher was a Marxist by the name of Che. Not even joking, that was his name.

There is soooooo much to know. We NEVER stop learning.

~Alain de Benoist

Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 220
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran5000 Experience Points
    LiarSOB's Avatar Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13x in 9 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoons View Post
    Anything goes here, this board doesn't have the sense to toss the real trolls. It does, however, have an excellent ignore feature.

Nothing outspoken about your first thread, however. You do know I was being facetious? You're absolutely right that indentured service was a form of slavery.

Maybe we white folks should be asking for reparations too.
    Isn't indentured service still alive and well? For example, any mortgage application demands your committment for up to 30 years, but what job/business situation can be guaranteed to keep pumping uninterrupted for 30 years? At least 100 years ago, you didn't need a mortgage to get a house, and you didn't need to pay astronomical permit/inspection/license fees to get a plot to build on. And not your every step was constantly tracked by a centralized credit monitor or a centralized other monitor.

Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 442
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    shaarona's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 444x in 384 Posts
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsouth View Post
    As I have mentioned; the documented fact, there was a time in the Americas when most slaves were white; but a fact that our public schools avoid teaching. Any comments? I'm guessing if it were taught, it may somehow level the field; and we know that's something our liberals avoid like the plague. Just my opinion. Please, not the indentured servant reply. That got very old a long long time ago. They were slaves.
    Because its untrue.

Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 442
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    shaarona's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 444x in 384 Posts
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slavery, generally speaking, was always a much smaller enterprise in North America than it was in the sugar growing regions.
    Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, the Carolinas, Georgia all had large plantations growing everything from cotton to rice.

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaarona View Post
    Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, the Carolinas, Georgia all had large plantations growing everything from cotton to rice.
    I know that. Slavery, generally speaking, was always a much smaller enterprise in North America than it was in the sugar growing regions. The VAST majority of slaves were sold in the Carribean and in South American sugar regions.
    Last edited by Mister D; 11-20-2012 at 04:21 PM.

~Alain de Benoist

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In fact, there was not just a quantitative difference but a qualitative difference as well. Africans were often worked until they died on the large sugar estates and were then simply replaced. The institution was quite different in the sugar growing regions of Latin America.

~Alain de Benoist

+ Reply to Thread