Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,534x in 1,379 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Social Justice

From Wikipedia:

Social justice is the concept of fair and just relation between the individual and society.

Social justice assigns rights and duties in the institutions of society, which enables people to receive the basic benefits and burdens of cooperation. The relevant institutions often include taxation, social insurance, public health, public school, public services, labor law and regulation of markets, to ensure fair distribution of wealth, and equal opportunity.
    If this is an accurate description of social justice, do we need more or less social justice?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Perianne For This Useful Post:

stjames1_53 (09-07-2017)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,532x in 55,048 Posts
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    "Justice is an attribute of individual action. I can be just or unjust towards my fellow men. But the conception of a social justice; to expect from an impersonal process – which nobody can control – to bring about a just result is not only a meaningless conception, it’s completely impossible." --F. A. Hayek
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Kacper (09-08-2017),MisterVeritis (09-07-2017),stjames1_53 (09-07-2017)

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,470
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Perianne's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    "Justice is an attribute of individual action. I can be just or unjust towards my fellow men. But the conception of a social justice; to expect from an impersonal process – which nobody can control – to bring about a just result is not only a meaningless conception, it’s completely impossible." --F. A. Hayek
    I agree with that quote, but society, or at least some of society, is trying to force social justice upon us.

To be honest, I am not sure what the boundaries are when speaking of social justice.

Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 2,162
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,266x in 12,389 Posts
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The Hayak quote may not be as nonsensical as it first appears - I'd have to read it in context to know for certain. He appears to be saying that a society's institutions cannot ever be expected to act justly, which of course is patent nonsense. Justice, in the true and traditional sense of that term, is the ultimate aim of any responsible governmental body, and of the human beings who constitute its leadership. Whence some folks have derived the idea that "justice" is a dirty word or an impossible goal - I can't imagine.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

IMPress Polly (09-07-2017),William (09-08-2017)

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 1,156
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Crepitus's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,440x in 9,812 Posts
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Social justice used to just mean "the common good" until the conservatives decided to use it as an insult. These days it is a dog whistle term for bigots of all stripes. They use it to denigrate every minority as well as poor people and anyone who supports them.
    People who think a movie about plastic dolls is trying to turn their kids gay or trans are now officially known as

Barbie Q’s

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Crepitus For This Useful Post:

AZ Jim (09-09-2017),IMPress Polly (09-07-2017),Safety (09-07-2017),William (09-08-2017)

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Perianne View Post
    I agree with that quote, but society, or at least some of society, is trying to force social justice upon us.

To be honest, I am not sure what the boundaries are when speaking of social justice.
    Then that's not justice. How is awarding some group some special treatment at the expense of others just? It is imposing the values and virtues of some onto others and violating their rights--actually, it's usually some third group imposing their values and virtues to the benefit of one group and the detriment of other groups.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Kacper (09-08-2017)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    The Hayak quote may not be as nonsensical as it first appears - I'd have to read it in context to know for certain. He appears to be saying that a society's institutions cannot ever be expected to act justly, which of course is patent nonsense. Justice, in the true and traditional sense of that term, is the ultimate aim of any responsible governmental body, and of the human beings who constitute its leadership. Whence some folks have derived the idea that "justice" is a dirty word or an impossible goal - I can't imagine.
    Because you skip right passed "Justice is an attribute of individual action." If I wrong you, do you harm, then you have a right to justice to right the wrong. The purpose of government, be it society or the state, is to protect you and provide justice. All that exists at the level of the individual in society/state.

BTW, here is the full context:

Last edited by Chris; 09-07-2017 at 09:04 AM.

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,470
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Perianne's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Then that's not justice. How is awarding some group some special treatment at the expense of others just? It is imposing the values and virtues of some onto others and violating their rights--actually, it's usually some third group imposing their values and virtues to the benefit of one group and the detriment of other groups.
    I totally agree.

Thomas Sowell had a great quote:

"Since this is an era when many people are concerned about 'fairness' and 'social justice,' what is your 'fair share' of what someone else has worked for?"

We at work sometimes complain about the large amount of taxes stolen from our paychecks by those who have power over us. The consensus is that the government feels that other people need and deserve what we have worked for more than we do, that is the people who actually worked for it.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crepitus View Post
    Social justice used to just mean "the common good" until the conservatives decided to use it as an insult. These days it is a dog whistle term for bigots of all stripes. They use it to denigrate every minority as well as poor people and anyone who supports them.

I think if justice serve the common good then it is good. Example, SCOTUS decide marriage is a fundamental right, based on more fundamental rights of free association etc, for a single individual case in Kentucky. By rule of law and precedence that single, individual finding extends to everyone.

But social justice is not that. Social justice is an abstraction that sees a wrong supposedly committed against an identity group and fixes it by imposing restrictions on the rights of another identity group. Example, university admissions quotas.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Perianne View Post
    I totally agree.

Thomas Sowell had a great quote:

"Since this is an era when many people are concerned about 'fairness' and 'social justice,' what is your 'fair share' of what someone else has worked for?"

We at work sometimes complain about the large amount of taxes stolen from our paychecks by those who have power over us. The consensus is that the government feels that other people need and deserve what we have worked for more than we do, that is the people who actually worked for it.
    I watched this just yesterday.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

AeonPax (09-07-2017)

+ Reply to Thread