User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Snowflakes Triggered Over Clothes

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 40,087x in 27,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Your "My Junk Is Ugly" sig is gone. Did you lose it? Nothing to hide now?
    It vanished. I posted a thread in technical issues but nobody could figure out why.

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 40,087x in 27,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyz View Post
    Do not bully this guy for your own good.

Why?

Will he carry my trees away?

Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,272
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    jimmyz's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,315x in 4,381 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    Why?

Will he carry my trees away?
    Arnold says, "Dats a goot one!"
    " I'm old-fashioned. I like two sexes! And another thing, all of a sudden I don't like being married to what is known as a 'new woman'. I want a wife, not a competitor. Competitor! Competitor!" - Spencer Tracy in 'Adam's Rib' (1949)

Art thou every retard among us related to thine uncle or mistress by way of moral or illegitimate rendezvous? Thus, we are one side of the other's coin by luck or pluck. - Jimmyz

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 2,012
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,449x in 11,739 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Regardless of what they do in Scotland or how I feel about gender politics, I would not send my son to school in a dress or skirt because I would not want him to be bullied because of my own thoughts.

I see no problem dressing a son in pinks or for girls to have shirts with cars or dinosaurs or whatever on them. I don't think young children really pay that much attention or if they do it is not usually negative. Nor do I have a problem with them playing with whatever toys they like. But I will draw the line at putting my kid in a position to be bullied because of my personal beliefs.

Overall activity: 85.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,905x in 54,720 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
    Regardless of what they do in Scotland or how I feel about gender politics, I would not send my son to school in a dress or skirt because I would not want him to be bullied because of my own thoughts.

I see no problem dressing a son in pinks or for girls to have shirts with cars or dinosaurs or whatever on them. I don't think young children really pay that much attention or if they do it is not usually negative. Nor do I have a problem with them playing with whatever toys they like. But I will draw the line at putting my kid in a position to be bullied because of my personal beliefs.

Oh, no, not boys in pink!
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 317
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Devil'sAdvocate's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 87x in 71 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post

Scottish kilts are not synonymous with "dresses" either, female dresses and skirts are designed to highlight the female anatomy (e.x. the hips), as men and women have a different physical anatomy and structure, so they were specifically designed with the female body in mind; kilts and other garments such as robes for men were not.

Kilts are also ceremonial wear, not "everyday casual wear" in Scotland, so wearing a kilt to the grocery store would be like the equivalent of dressing up like an orchestra conductor on a trip to the beach.

Even female jeans have a completely different design and form than male jeans.

Likewise, comparing dresses to pants is a silly analogy - pants were adopted by women primarily for functional reasons (it's much easier and practical to do physical work in pants than in a skirt), women didn't start wearing pants because they "wanted to look like men".

Dresses on the other hand, have very little functional use and are designed primarily for fashion, so there's no reason for a man to wear one unless he just wants to look like a woman, which is why people (rightfully) view it as different.

Truth is most of these arguments and comparisons are laughable, and just the result of people not knowing basic sartorial history (much like the "boys used to wear pink, girls used to wear blue" myth, which is also false and has been debunked).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Devil'sAdvocate For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (09-23-2017)

+ Reply to Thread