User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32

Thread: Mysteries

  1. #1
    Points: 5,398, Level: 17
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 352
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Jets's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    3579
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    557
    Points
    5,398
    Level
    17
    Thanks Given
    335
    Thanked 317x in 230 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Mysteries

    Recent reads:

    Raymond Chandler- Lady In The Lake

    Rex Stout- The League Of Frightened Men

    Ed McBain- Cop Hater

    Colin Dexter- Last Bus To Woodstock
    Always agree to disagree.

    Always give the other poster the last word, whether correct or not.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jets For This Useful Post:

    pragmatic (08-12-2017)

  3. #2
    Points: 32,821, Level: 44
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,129
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    303627
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    11,879
    Points
    32,821
    Level
    44
    Thanks Given
    1,987
    Thanked 9,731x in 5,619 Posts
    Mentioned
    286 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets View Post
    Recent reads:

    Raymond Chandler- Lady In The Lake

    Rex Stout- The League Of Frightened Men

    Ed McBain- Cop Hater

    Colin Dexter- Last Bus To Woodstock
    I discovered Chandler almost forty years ago, and read everything of his that I could find shortly thereafter. I should re-read the Marlowe novels sometime in the near future. With the exception of Ross McDonald, no one has come close to doing the hardboiled detective as well as Raymond Chandler.

    I tried to read a Nero Wolfe book the other day - the first one, 'Fer-de-lance' - and I couldn't do it. Some popular writing from the thirties holds up, and some of it just doesn't. I knew after twenty pages that I was not going to enjoy it.

    Been meaning to get into McBain's stuff for years, but have never gotten around to it.
    "It is a foolish man who believes that he possesses all of the answers unless he is absolutely certain that he has heard all of the questions." - me

    "All three of my kids are adopted, and I'm always telling them, 'Don't ever get high and sign things'." - Paula Poundstone

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

    Jets (08-03-2017)

  5. #3
    Points: 5,398, Level: 17
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 352
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Jets's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    3579
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    557
    Points
    5,398
    Level
    17
    Thanks Given
    335
    Thanked 317x in 230 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    I discovered Chandler almost forty years ago, and read everything of his that I could find shortly thereafter. I should re-read the Marlowe novels sometime in the near future. With the exception of Ross McDonald, no one has come close to doing the hardboiled detective as well as Raymond Chandler.

    I tried to read a Nero Wolfe book the other day - the first one, 'Fer-de-lance' - and I couldn't do it. Some popular writing from the thirties holds up, and some of it just doesn't. I knew after twenty pages that I was not going to enjoy it.

    Been meaning to get into McBain's stuff for years, but have never gotten around to it.
    It's funny you mention Fer-de-lance. That wasn't one of my favorites either. You may feel differently with League of Frightened Men.
    Always agree to disagree.

    Always give the other poster the last word, whether correct or not.

  6. #4
    Points: 32,821, Level: 44
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,129
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    303627
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    11,879
    Points
    32,821
    Level
    44
    Thanks Given
    1,987
    Thanked 9,731x in 5,619 Posts
    Mentioned
    286 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets View Post
    It's funny you mention Fer-de-lance. That wasn't one of my favorites either. You may feel differently with League of Frightened Men.
    I'm pretty sure I have a copy of that stuck back somewhere. I know that I've picked up a number of them over the years, with the intention of checking out the character...especially after reading William S. Baring-Gould's 'Sherlock Holmes of Baker Street' and finding out that Nero Wolfe is supposed to be Holmes' son by Irene Adler. (His physical and dispositional similarities to Mycroft being the big clue.)
    "It is a foolish man who believes that he possesses all of the answers unless he is absolutely certain that he has heard all of the questions." - me

    "All three of my kids are adopted, and I'm always telling them, 'Don't ever get high and sign things'." - Paula Poundstone

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

    Jets (08-03-2017)

  8. #5
    Points: 5,398, Level: 17
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 352
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Jets's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    3579
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    557
    Points
    5,398
    Level
    17
    Thanks Given
    335
    Thanked 317x in 230 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    I'm pretty sure I have a copy of that stuck back somewhere. I know that I've picked up a number of them over the years, with the intention of checking out the character...especially after reading William S. Baring-Gould's 'Sherlock Holmes of Baker Street' and finding out that Nero Wolfe is supposed to be Holmes' son by Irene Adler. (His physical and dispositional similarities to Mycroft being the big clue.)
    By the way, I read all the Lee Archer books from the Galton Case to the Blue Hammer. Great stuff.
    Always agree to disagree.

    Always give the other poster the last word, whether correct or not.

  9. #6
    Points: 32,821, Level: 44
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,129
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    303627
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    11,879
    Points
    32,821
    Level
    44
    Thanks Given
    1,987
    Thanked 9,731x in 5,619 Posts
    Mentioned
    286 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets View Post
    By the way, I read all the Lee Archer books from the Galton Case to the Blue Hammer. Great stuff.
    You mean Lew Archer, of course. 'The Underground Man' is my favorite of his.

    Speaking of favorites, check out Jeffrey Deaver's 'Garden of Beasts' some time. (Not to be confused with 'In the Garden of Beasts' by Erik Larson.) Unforgettable, and with a twist near the end that you will not see coming. JD told me that it's the book he's most proud of, and he's written about forty.
    "It is a foolish man who believes that he possesses all of the answers unless he is absolutely certain that he has heard all of the questions." - me

    "All three of my kids are adopted, and I'm always telling them, 'Don't ever get high and sign things'." - Paula Poundstone

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

    Jets (08-03-2017)

  11. #7
    Points: 5,398, Level: 17
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 352
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Jets's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    3579
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    557
    Points
    5,398
    Level
    17
    Thanks Given
    335
    Thanked 317x in 230 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    You mean Lew Archer, of course. 'The Underground Man' is my favorite of his.

    Speaking of favorites, check out Jeffrey Deaver's 'Garden of Beasts' some time. (Not to be confused with 'In the Garden of Beasts' by Erik Larson.) Unforgettable, and with a twist near the end that you will not see coming. JD told me that it's the book he's most proud of, and he's written about forty.
    Will do. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm sure you have checked out Robert Parkers Spenser novels and Robert Crais Elvis Cole novels. If not, I think you would like them.
    Always agree to disagree.

    Always give the other poster the last word, whether correct or not.

  12. #8
    Points: 32,821, Level: 44
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,129
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    303627
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    11,879
    Points
    32,821
    Level
    44
    Thanks Given
    1,987
    Thanked 9,731x in 5,619 Posts
    Mentioned
    286 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets View Post
    Will do. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm sure you have checked out Robert Parkers Spenser novels and Robert Crais Elvis Cole novels. If not, I think you would like them.
    I haven't read anything by Crais yet. I read a number of Spenser novels a long, long time ago, and remember them fondly. I'm re-reading them currently, as time allows; I think I've re-read the first six, between reading other things. I met Parker a couple of times in Scottsdale and got him to sign his last few Spensers and the Phillip Marlowe books he did (and a very cool advertising poster for 'Poodle Springs', the book by Chandler that he completed). Then five years ago, Ace Atkins was chosen by the publishers and Parker's widow to continue writing Spenser stories; he's done five so far, and they are more than worthy. Ace always comes to town to do a signing when he has a new book out, and I try to time it so that I can jump right into the new Spenser book right away.

    Other favorites: Craig Johnson's 'Longmire' books, Joe Lansdale's Hap and Leonard series (or anything else Joe has ever happened to write, particularly the epic western 'Paradise Sky'), Andrew Vachss' Burke series, Ed Kovacs' Cliff St. James trilogy, and Earl Emerson's Thomas Black series.
    "It is a foolish man who believes that he possesses all of the answers unless he is absolutely certain that he has heard all of the questions." - me

    "All three of my kids are adopted, and I'm always telling them, 'Don't ever get high and sign things'." - Paula Poundstone

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

    Jets (08-04-2017)

  14. #9
    Points: 4,308, Level: 15
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 242
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    jigglepete's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    548
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    981
    Points
    4,308
    Level
    15
    Thanks Given
    154
    Thanked 538x in 394 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    I haven't read anything by Crais yet. I read a number of Spenser novels a long, long time ago, and remember them fondly. I'm re-reading them currently, as time allows; I think I've re-read the first six, between reading other things. I met Parker a couple of times in Scottsdale and got him to sign his last few Spensers and the Phillip Marlowe books he did (and a very cool advertising poster for 'Poodle Springs', the book by Chandler that he completed). Then five years ago, Ace Atkins was chosen by the publishers and Parker's widow to continue writing Spenser stories; he's done five so far, and they are more than worthy. Ace always comes to town to do a signing when he has a new book out, and I try to time it so that I can jump right into the new Spenser book right away.

    Other favorites: Craig Johnson's 'Longmire' books, Joe Lansdale's Hap and Leonard series (or anything else Joe has ever happened to write, particularly the epic western 'Paradise Sky'), Andrew Vachss' Burke series, Ed Kovacs' Cliff St. James trilogy, and Earl Emerson's Thomas Black series.
    @Standing Wolf

    I have read (literally) every book by Robert Crais, I even researched and got his first couple that were out of print! You don't have to read them chronologically, but I would start with one of his earlier ones, I feel that you would really like his style...

    Btw have you checked out any of Ace Atkins non-Spencer novels? I just started The Fallen (a Quinn Colson novel) I think I found myself a new series

  15. #10
    Points: 32,821, Level: 44
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,129
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    303627
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    11,879
    Points
    32,821
    Level
    44
    Thanks Given
    1,987
    Thanked 9,731x in 5,619 Posts
    Mentioned
    286 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jigglepete View Post
    @Standing Wolf

    I have read (literally) every book by Robert Crais, I even researched and got his first couple that were out of print! You don't have to read them chronologically, but I would start with one of his earlier ones, I feel that you would really like his style...

    Btw have you checked out any of Ace Atkins non-Spencer novels? I just started The Fallen (a Quinn Colson novel) I think I found myself a new series
    I think Crais is one of those writers who come to Scottsdale for signings on a regular basis, which is always nice. I will definitely check out his stuff.

    I haven't read any of Ace's non-Spenser stuff, although I did pick up a copy of a book of his called 'The Wicked City' the other day. I've heard good things about the Quinn Colson series, but I'm so far behind on so many series now the last thing I need is to start another one. I thought at one time that I was going to be able to catch up on Lee Child's 'Reacher' books, but that's on the back burner now, along with Laurie King's 'Mary Russell' series, while I try to get current on Joe Lansdale's 'Hap and Leonard'. Too many good books - so little time.
    "It is a foolish man who believes that he possesses all of the answers unless he is absolutely certain that he has heard all of the questions." - me

    "All three of my kids are adopted, and I'm always telling them, 'Don't ever get high and sign things'." - Paula Poundstone

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts


Critical Acclaim
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO