Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 19,793x in 11,974 Posts
    Mentioned
    433 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    Well, as I pointed out in the OP, she has definitely contributed to gaming culture through the Tropes vs. Women series, and in a way that the Conference saw as positive. I think that was the point behind the award.
    Are opinions and whatnot standard for this sort of award, or this this a first time case? Genuinely curious, longtime gamer but never paid attention to that sort of thing.

Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 1,354
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,721x in 4,392 Posts
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The XL wrote:
    Are opinions and whatnot standard for this sort of award, or this this a first time case? Genuinely curious, longtime gamer but never paid attention to that sort of thing.
    Most often the award has gone to independent game developers (as there are no major studios headed by women), but they have diverged from that tradition before to highlight women who have contributed to gaming in other ways.

Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 317
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Devil'sAdvocate's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 87x in 71 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    What money? Feminist Frequency's annual balance sheet suggests that Anita barely makes more than I do in a given year.
    She gets to make a living working from home and making Youtube videos, she may not be a millionare but it's nice to be able to make a living entirely off of Youtube.

2) By your own admission elsewhere, you are not a gamer, and it has been demonstrated that you know basically nothing about gaming culture already.
    Gaming "culture" is an oxymoron. The demographic that attracts gaming as a "way of life" is inherently nasty, sexist, misogynistic, and nihilistic right down to the core, to the point that the only way to remove sexism from "gaming culture" would be to delete the whole thing and start over.

Take a look at the general quality of discussion on any "gaming website" to find proof of that - that's what happens when 13 year old boys and 30 year old single males try to base their entire identity or culture off of World of Warcraft or League of Legends.

Video games were never intended to be a "culture" to begin with, just a pastime. And weren't not talking about professional, competitive gaming like "esports" or Street Fighter tournaments.
    -
    I've been playing video games off-and-on since the early 90s, but I don't identify as a "gamer".

3) Regarding that last part, you see what I mean about incredulous detractors always attaching conspiracy theories to these things, XL?
    No conspiracy theory, I just shared proof that she has no "credentials" as is no different than any other person who's occasionally played Super Nintendo or Farmville on FB at some time in their life. And she apparently used to work for an internet marketing company which also promoted pick-up artist David DeAngelo's books.
    Last edited by Devil'sAdvocate; 09-27-2017 at 02:28 PM.

+ Reply to Thread