Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,510x in 14,774 Posts
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JVV View Post
    Three varieties of tomato (two small and one big), strawberries, cilantro, basil, radishes, squash, carrots, lettuce, onions, kohlrabi, cucumber. Have some watermelon out there which is still trying to decide if it's going to grow. I started late in planting and Fall has started early up here in Wisconsin, so we shall see.

Around 100 square feet ... probably a little more with the containers.

Oh yes, I started some asparagus ... after deciding I probably didn't have room for it ... but I had a seed packet ... I put some in an out of the way, grassy spot, where the internet says it won't grow well ... on the theory that it couldn't hurt ... and sure enough we have some promising looking sprouts. Have to wait a couple of years to see if that comes to anything. THAT puts me over 100 square feet.
    Sounds prety successful especially for a first try in a small plot. Our soil is so bad I had to build a raised bed garden and "make" my own soil . Never tried Asparagus, does it need to over winter before producing?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

JVV (09-17-2017)

Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 391
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    JVV's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 686x in 388 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Supposedly asparagus takes two years to start producing. So some people will start their gardens with one-year-old crowns, as they are called. (Supposedly two-year-old crowns aren't as successful.)

Then when they start producing, you harvest them sparingly for the first couple of years. But somewhere around year 5, you can start taking more, and the plants keep producing for about 15 or 20 years.

I transported a lot of compost and some manure into our backyard. Our house used to be beachfront property ... a few thousand years ago. Lake Michigan is now about half a mile away but we still have a lot of sand. We have a nice compost site about a mile away though which we can use for free, so that helped.
    If you're a racist, I probably have you on ignore.

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 744
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,510x in 14,774 Posts
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JVV View Post
    Supposedly asparagus takes two years to start producing. So some people will start their gardens with one-year-old crowns, as they are called. (Supposedly two-year-old crowns aren't as successful.)

Then when they start producing, you harvest them sparingly for the first couple of years. But somewhere around year 5, you can start taking more, and the plants keep producing for about 15 or 20 years.

I transported a lot of compost and some manure into our backyard. Our house used to be beachfront property ... a few thousand years ago. Lake Michigan is now about half a mile away but we still have a lot of sand. We have a nice compost site about a mile away though which we can use for free, so that helped.
    Nice job.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

JVV (09-18-2017)

+ Reply to Thread