Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,440x in 9,812 Posts
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    You actually have greater standing regarding legal forum than the third party because of the location of the accident, but it would involve litigation that is worth more than the value of the truck. You would indeed have to sue him in his own jurisdiction and then have a court in your district take jurisdiction. By the time you did that, you would have spent more than the truck is worth.

The reason why you can't sue the driver's insurer is because you are not a party to his contract with his insurer. His insurer has a duty to defend him, but zero relationship with you.
    Yes, they have me over a barrel because it isn't worth the expense.

As far as not being able to sue the insurance company while I understand the legal reasoning I think it is ridiculous. The other driver has no say in their actions.
    People who think a movie about plastic dolls is trying to turn their kids gay or trans are now officially known as

Barbie Q’s

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,323x in 10,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Safety View Post
    It's all about how you submit the claim. For example, flood damage is usually classified as rising water, and not a leaking roof. Most insurance policies do not cover wind driven rain (..um, hurricane anyone), and some insurance companies say if it is not mentioned in the contract, then it is not covered, while others say if it isn't excluded, it's covered.

It's convoluted for a reason...
    If you have roof damage in fla from hurricane winds and subsequently get water damage from rain that is covered.]
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hurricane insurance deductibles used to be 1600.00 per year when I moved here, now I believe the deductible is 2% of your homes appraisal value.

We havent had a hurricane since 2005 in fla, yet two days after hurricane irma I got a notice of hurricane insurance premium increase from my hurricane insurer.

I know people who are self insured for hurricanes, which in most circumstances is totally foolish.
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

tPF Moderator
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,629x in 25,166 Posts
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crepitus View Post
    Some of you might have seen the thread on one of my trucks getting hit. The insurance company totaled it and offered a ridiculous amount in compensation. After weeks of back and forth I finally settled with them for less than the truck was worth but more than they wanted to pay.
    Worth per whom?

You can't sue the other guys insurance company, only the other guy. Why?
    Your claim is against their insured.

The guy was from out of town. I couldn't sue him here, I would have had to go there. Why?
    That is not true. You could've easily sued him where the accident took place, though he could've removed it to federal court if it was over $75,000.

There were very few lawyers willing to take the case because of the low amount and because property cases are hard to win. Why are they hard to win?
    Easy to win, too small to bother.

It seems it's all set up to make it easy for the insurance companies to pay out as little as possible, what happened to looking out for the little guy?
    Your premise is faulty. You could've sued locally, easily.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got $2,500 for a truck that cost me $5000 to replace. The damage was due to no fault mine. The ruck was sitting still at a stoplight and struck from behind.

But I lose, not the guy who hit my truck. I guarantee they paid to fix his truck (minus deductible of course).
    Insurance companies do not pay market value for a vehicle. For example if you have a automobile thats selling for 15000 because its HOT and the book says its work 9 you are getting 9 and thats that.
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 1,156
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Crepitus's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,440x in 9,812 Posts
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    Worth per whom?

Your claim is against their insured.

That is not true. You could've easily sued him where the accident took place, though he could've removed it to federal court if it was over $75,000.

Easy to win, too small to bother.

Your premise is faulty. You could've sued locally, easily.
    I was told by multiple people I couldn't sue him locally.
    People who think a movie about plastic dolls is trying to turn their kids gay or trans are now officially known as

Barbie Q’s

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,723
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    gamewell45's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,568x in 4,623 Posts
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of you might have seen the thread on one of my trucks getting hit. The insurance company totaled it and offered a ridiculous amount in compensation. After weeks of back and forth I finally settled with them for less than the truck was worth but more than they wanted to pay.

The guy was from out of town. I couldn't sue him here, I would have had to go there. Why?

There were very few lawyers willing to take the case because of the low amount and because property cases are hard to win. Why are they hard to win?

It seems it's all set up to make it easy for the insurance companies to pay out as little as possible, what happened to looking out for the little guy?
    Insurance companies are nothing more then money collecting machines; they rip-off more American's then you can believe. I had lighting hit my well head and it blew out the pump; I had it replaced; it was supposed to be covered and they rejected it because it didn't "look" like it was a lightning strike according agent the paid us a visit. Any excuse they can use to not pay a claim they'll use it.
    God Bless America, God Bless our Military and God Bless the Police who defended the country against the insurgents on January 6, 2021

Think 3rd party for 2024 folks. Clean up America.

Once I tell you that we agree to disagree there will be no more discussion between us in the thread so please don't waste your time continuing to argue your points because I will not respond.

Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 3,963
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,646x in 14,858 Posts
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because through our herd mentaility, inaction and sheer lazyiness over the past decades we have put megacorps in charge of our country. That's the answer to your question Why?

tPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was told by multiple people I couldn't sue him locally.
    You were told wrong.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

tPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got $2,500 for a truck that cost me $5000 to replace. The damage was due to no fault mine. The truck was sitting still at a stoplight and struck from behind. But I lose, not the guy who hit my truck. I guarantee they paid to fix his truck (minus deductible of course).
    Yes, it sucks. Insurers don't pay replacement cost. They pay fair market value based on one of several different options. Yes, they paid to fix his truck b/c he paid for that coverage -- he took the same hit you did if it was totaled. If yours was economically fixable (see note), they'd have fixed it. (Note: Constructive total means that if the cost of repair exceeds 80% of FMV [or for some insurers, the current value], they'd total it.)

+ Reply to Thread