User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The lost Democrats

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,900x in 54,717 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    That's a pretty common theme in politics, hence all of the attack ads, mores the pity. I think people are getting really sick of it.
    That sort of whataboutism misses the point. As the OP say, we know how Reps define themselves: "Republicans, for good or ill, know what they stand for: on economic issues, an interminable litany of libertarian lite clichés; in foreign affairs, recklessness and posturing adventurism; on the so-called social issues, a holding pattern in which something is opposed half-heartedly until it's inexorable." Dems define themselves in terms of their opposition to opponents and little else, thus few can say what they stand for.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 220
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Trish's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,754x in 2,330 Posts
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    It's always a mistake to hit people over the head with things and then tell them to just suck it up. It's basically saying, you aren't going to vote for me anyway, so too bad for you. The Democrats got too arrogant and this was their election to lose, to begin with. Their biggest mistake was running Hillary. She has way too much baggage to win a majority and she didn't really try to appeal to the working class.
    I also think that this past election really wasn't about the economy or global affairs or really about healthcare but about race. Early into the campaign me and several friends and colleagues could see quite clearly that the PC that had taken over the country was a driving force in the election and that race was also a major factor. Whether people want to believe it or not, partly why the democrats lost was the rise of BLM. That was the straw that broke the camels back.

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trish View Post
    I also think that this past election really wasn't about the economy or global affairs or really about healthcare but about race. Early into the campaign me and several friends and colleagues could see quite clearly that the PC that had taken over the country was a driving force in the election and that race was also a major factor. Whether people want to believe it or not, partly why the democrats lost was the rise of BLM. That was the straw that broke the camels back.
    PC, BLM, etc, all part of divisive identity politics, each also defined more or less in terms of opposition. Trump played that like a fiddle and it worked because people are tired of it.

At least Sanders, much as I oppose his ideas, stands up for something.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 220
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Trish's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,754x in 2,330 Posts
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    PC, BLM, etc, all part of divisive identity politics, each also defined more or less in terms of opposition. Trump played that like a fiddle and it worked because people are tired of it.

At least Sanders, much as I oppose his ideas, stands up for something.
    I agree completely. I am NOT a Sanders fan at all. His politics scare the bajeebus out of me. I will say this. With all the anti identity rhetoric being thrown out there, Trump supporters sure like to make sure they're identified as the white working class. just saying...... it seems they have adopted the very thing they claim to despise.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trish View Post
    I agree completely. I am NOT a Sanders fan at all. His politics scare the bajeebus out of me. I will say this. With all the anti identity rhetoric being thrown out there, Trump supporters sure like to make sure they're identified as the white working class. just saying...... it seems they have adopted the very thing they claim to despise.
    True, the right is often as guilty of playing identity politics as the left. Charlottesville was to me a clash between the two.

Did the right adopt the left's identity politics. In a way, yes, but if you think about it, the KKK and neo-Nazis have been playing it longer and it may be the left adopted from them.

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,471x in 36,446 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How are we defining identity politics?
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    How are we defining identity politics?
    I would simplifiy it to any politics that pits races, sexes, sexual orientations against each other. The goals differ. The KKK and neo-Nazis want seperation, the alt-left wants unification, equality, acceptance of everything they can imagine.

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,471x in 36,446 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would simplifiy it to any politics that pits races, sexes, sexual orientations against each other. The goals differ. The KKK and neo-Nazis want seperation, the alt-left wants unification, equality, acceptance of everything they can imagine.
    If the alt-left wants unification wouldn't they be attacking identity? Your first comment clarifies things though.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,470
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Perianne's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,534x in 1,379 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The leftists want unification under their rules, which is different from "let's all come together".

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perianne For This Useful Post:

Chris (09-20-2017),resister (09-20-2017)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    If the alt-left wants unification wouldn't they be attacking identity? Your first comment clarifies things though.
    It's all very contradictory, and intolerant while demanding tolerance. Consider the whole gender bifurcation to where we have untold variations of it. Thus division that demands equality and unification. The objective is to tear down culture and traditions and social institutions, all the thngs that give people identity, and replace it with abstractions.

+ Reply to Thread