User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: True Story and Description of a Country of Wild, Naked, Grim, Man-eating People...

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 413
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Lummy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,307x in 4,359 Posts
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah, I forgot about the Aztecs. Ritual sacrifice was practiced, as they themselves recorded. But even in your article, what actually took place in those Mezo American cultures is disputed.

Consider Spanish accounts of cannibalism near and around the Caribbean, as per your maps.

And consider cannibalism in Africa, which has been ongoing for millenia and continues to this day, a fact in which some Africans take great pride. To make a long argument short, the Spanish brought African slaves with them to the New World. Some of those slaves escaped and sought refuge among Native Americans.

Ba- da -boom. I think that's when you begin to read accounts of cannibalism by the supposed native population.

As for the OP, if that reading is authentic, and the incidental map illustrations are authentic, I would suggest that it was a lie perpetrated mainly by Christian leaders, especially by The Church, (but not by the Faith) to incite new comers and settlers to slaughter the Natives wherever they came across them in order to make way for Christianity, especially the power of its political organizations.
    Last edited by Lummy; 05-09-2018 at 12:56 PM.

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,470x in 36,445 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lummy View Post
    Oh yeah, I forgot about the Aztecs. Ritual sacrifice was practiced, as they themselves recorded. But even in your article, what actually took place in those Mezo American cultures is disputed.

Consider Spanish accounts of cannibalism near and around the Caribbean, as per your maps.

And consider cannibalism in Africa, which has been ongoing for millenia and continues to this day, a fact in which some Africans take great pride. To make a long argument short, the Spanish brought African slaves with them to the New World. Some of those slaves escaped and sought refuge among Native Americans.

Ba- da -boom. I think that's when you begin to read accounts of cannibalism by the supposed native population.

As for the OP, if that reading is authentic, and the incidental map illustrations are authentic, I would suggest that it was a lie perpetrated mainly by Christian leaders, especially by The Church, (but not by the Faith) to incite new comers and settlers to slaughter the Natives wherever they came across them in order to make way for Christianity, especially the power of its political organizations.
    Cannibalism was practiced too. Only the extent and purpose is disputed.

What exactly am I to consider about any of this?

Um...no. In any case, cannibalism among native peoples is well attested and supported by archaeological evidence. We know it happened. We know it was ritualistic (i.e not the result of starvation). We see it in the southwest of what is now the US too, BTW. It seems the Anasazi had a hankering for forbidden morsels but that may have been impacted by changing climate and famine.

Well over 90% of New World population decline was the result of disease. I don't think your evaluation is particularly plausible.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Also, both Staden and Lery were Protestants.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

tPF Moderator
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,036x in 24,874 Posts
    Mentioned
    886 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    THE CORRECT WAY TO BE A CANNIBAL: Eat a rich or powerful person, a review of Hans Staden's 1557 True Story and Description of a Country of Wild, Naked, Grim, Man-eating People in the New World
    I pulled this book from the library after you posted this last fall. Tough read.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

Chris (05-09-2018)

Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,272
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    jimmyz's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,315x in 4,381 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't the cooking technique BBQ directly related to Barbacoa (sp?) used by indigenous Central, South Americans and Caribbean islanders back then? IIRC I saw woodcut prints depicting it. BBQing slaughtered human that is.
    Last edited by jimmyz; 05-09-2018 at 02:22 PM.
    " I'm old-fashioned. I like two sexes! And another thing, all of a sudden I don't like being married to what is known as a 'new woman'. I want a wife, not a competitor. Competitor! Competitor!" - Spencer Tracy in 'Adam's Rib' (1949)

Art thou every retard among us related to thine uncle or mistress by way of moral or illegitimate rendezvous? Thus, we are one side of the other's coin by luck or pluck. - Jimmyz

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That reminds me. There was (note tense) also a lot of skepticism regarding Roman accounts of Celtic cannibalism but that too has now been laid to rest. Archaeological evidence shows that ritual cannibalism occurred in Celtic Britain.

~Alain de Benoist

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like this

" I'm old-fashioned. I like two sexes! And another thing, all of a sudden I don't like being married to what is known as a 'new woman'. I want a wife, not a competitor. Competitor! Competitor!" - Spencer Tracy in 'Adam's Rib' (1949)

Art thou every retard among us related to thine uncle or mistress by way of moral or illegitimate rendezvous? Thus, we are one side of the other's coin by luck or pluck. - Jimmyz

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jimmyz For This Useful Post:

Chris (05-09-2018)

Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,898x in 54,716 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyz View Post
    Isn't the cooking technique BBQ directly related to Barbacoa (sp?) used by indigenous Central, South Americans and Caribbean islanders back then? IIRC I saw woodcut prints depicting it. BBQing slaughtered human that is.
    As depicted in "A Tupinamban Cannibal Feast" by Theodor De Bry from 1592:

Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,898x in 54,716 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyz View Post
    Like this

Yes, like that. :P

Also, in finding that I came across some European mixing of barbacoa (barbeque) with barbarian.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Yes, like that. :P

Also, in finding that I came across some European mixing of barbacoa (barbeque) with barbarian.
    It is recorded that human hands were considered a delicacy among cannibals. I'd like to think on their menu it read Human Fingers ten to an order in mild, medium and hot.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jimmyz For This Useful Post:

Chris (05-09-2018)

+ Reply to Thread