Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,474x in 36,449 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    So is Polly going to tell us who these guys were that were having concerns about Wonder Woman being too sexy? Or is she just imagining things?
    Polly has an unfortunate habit of believing everything she reads.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 317
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Devil'sAdvocate's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 87x in 71 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Well, we aren't talking about Jennifer Lopez. We're talking about Gal Gadot. Anyway, you've managed to find possibly the most unflattering picture of Jennifer Lopez in existence, yet upon careful examination, one can still see that she exhibits the classical characteristics of physical attractiveness, i.e., symmetric features, large, almond-shaped eyes, clear complexion, straight, evenly spaced teeth, etc.
    Yeah but who honestly does 'examinations' like that other than morticians or the guys from the Big Bang theory? Neither of whom are generally regarded as 'sex symbols' to my knowledge?

When people find a man or woman attractive, they're reacting based on their immediate emotions, not checking of some mental list of all the "perfect" phenotypical features.

Even without makeup, under terrible lighting, and with a weird facial expression, she is still far more attractive than most women out there.
    "Attractiveness" is fluid, constantly changing from instance to instance, perception to perception. It has no inherent existence, and in practice "theories" about general rules of attractiveness never accurately describe how people react in practice, so they don't really amount to more than mental masturbation, or fodder for "PUA" literature which never works out in practice as it should in pure theory.

If you're talking purely about 'phenotype', then yes I could go out to a local bar on a Friday night and spot women who are nearly as "phenotypically" attractive, but due to the lack of "celebrity" status or media presence, people wouldn't react the same to them as they would Gal Gadot. "Branding" has a lot to do with how people perceive things.

The reverse likely applies to, if someone perceives that another person resembles a "celebrity" then they might find them more attractive than they otherwise would.

As far as objective beauty standards, this seems to be more a thing of metaphysics, not something reducible to mere "biology".
    Last edited by Devil'sAdvocate; 10-22-2017 at 05:08 AM.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 87x in 71 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    "Marxist"..."carbon emissions"..."fast food"..."not worth responding to"...

It's always fascinating - in a bad accident by the side of the road sort of way - to watch some people tying themselves up into logical and rhetorical knots attempting to avoid a simple truth or two.
    The truth is that no one I'm aware of has ever argued that "sex in media" only originated in existence in the 1960s.

The argument is that not all "sex" or deceptions thereof are of equal quality. Many depictions of sex in the media are reductive and gratuitous.

The problem I see is the 'sex negative' types like @Crepitus (who admitted to being a fan of "domination/rape" fantasies) who advocate nihilistic forms of sex and expression thereof.
    Last edited by Devil'sAdvocate; 10-22-2017 at 05:10 AM.

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 1,156
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Crepitus's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,440x in 9,812 Posts
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil'sAdvocate View Post
    The truth is that no one I'm aware of has ever argued that "sex in media" only originated in existence in the 1960s.

The argument is that not all "sex" or deceptions thereof are of equal quality. Many depictions of sex in the media are reductive and gratuitous.

The problem I see is the 'sex negative' types like @Crepitus (who admitted to being a fan of "domination/rape" fantasies) who advocate nihilistic forms of sex and expression thereof.
    Stop making things up.
    People who think a movie about plastic dolls is trying to turn their kids gay or trans are now officially known as

Barbie Q’s

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Crepitus For This Useful Post:

Standing Wolf (10-22-2017)

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 839
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,088x in 12,283 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Culturally deviant sex depictions have established a hegemony in the entertainment industry (not just film, but corporate music and other entertainment as well) due to consumer capitalism; many cultures and nations with standards, having seen the problems that wastrel Americans have wrought themselves with their filthy diets likewise don't wish to embrace the mental rot propagated by their filthy media.
    Yes, we know. Some of those people hijacked jumbo jets and flew them into some buildings awhile back - maybe you heard about it.

"Culturally deviant sex depictions"? What kind of movies are you reading about these days, D.A.? (I'm assuming you're not paying money to actually see them...?)

Actually, I have to take back something I wrote earlier, when I said that Wonder Woman contained the most graphic depiction of sex of any movie I'd seen in the past year; there was a brutal depiction of rape in Wind River, and I will confess to that being "culturally deviant" - but I don't believe it was done to titillate anyone, and somehow I don't think that's the kind of thing you were referring to.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,820
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    The Xl's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 19,792x in 11,974 Posts
    Mentioned
    433 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If anything, these superheros and their actor/actress depictions, should motivate people to stay active and fit so they can look better.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to The Xl For This Useful Post:

Standing Wolf (10-22-2017)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 87x in 71 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, we know. Some of those people hijacked jumbo jets and flew them into some buildings awhile back - maybe you heard about it.
    So?

"Culturally deviant sex depictions"? What kind of movies are you reading about these days, D.A.? (I'm assuming you're not paying money to actually see them...?)
    Actually, I have to take back something I wrote earlier, when I said that Wonder Woman contained the most graphic depiction of sex of any movie I'd seen in the past year; there was a brutal depiction of rape in Wind River, and I will confess to that being "culturally deviant" - but I don't believe it was done to titillate anyone, and somehow I don't think that's the kind of thing you were referring to.
    Culturally deviant has nothing to do with the "instance" of sex, nudity, etc itself - rather then philosophy by which it is portrayed.

Your focus on the "graphicness" of sex in art and entertainment shows an excessive fixation on "sex" in some kind of abstract vacuum, rather than the meaning of the entirety of the content.
    Last edited by Devil'sAdvocate; 10-22-2017 at 09:24 PM.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 87x in 71 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (I'm assuming you're not paying money to actually see them...?)
    I find most films and TV to be cheap entertainment or a guilty pleasure at best, very few strike me as profound, especially given how formulaic the industries are and how "critics" today are more often than not just sales pitchmen who have no real knowlege or expertise of their subject matter.

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 839
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,088x in 12,283 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So?

Culturally deviant has nothing to do with the "instance" of sex, nudity, etc itself - rather then philosophy by which it is portrayed.

Your focus on the "graphicness" of sex in art and entertainment shows an excessive fixation on "sex" in some kind of abstract vacuum, rather than the meaning of the entirety of the content.
    Were you somehow under the impression that just stringing random words together automatically came out to be a pertinent response?
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 40,087x in 27,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Xl View Post
    If anything, these superheros and their actor/actress depictions, should motivate people to stay active and fit so they can look better.
    Like through anorexia?
    my junk is ugly

+ Reply to Thread