User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: More Americans Killed by Guns Since 1968 Than in All U.S. Wars — Combined

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 2,257
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,050x in 8,898 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More Americans Killed by Guns Since 1968 Than in All U.S. Wars — Combined

More Americans have died from gunshots in the last 50 years than in all of the wars in American history.
    Since 1968, more than 1.5 million Americans have died in gun-related incidents, according to data from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. By comparison, approximately 1.2 million service members have been killed in every war in U.S. history, according to estimates from the Department of Veterans Affairs and iCasualties.org, a website that maintains an ongoing database of casualties from the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Sunday's massacre in Las Vegas — which left 59 dead and 530 others injured — is the deadliest mass shooting in modern American history. And such attacks are becoming more common.

Attachment 20291
    https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/la...mbined-n807156

Pretty sobering statistics. Now I'm sure that suicides by gun are part of those statistics, however, that shouldn't make you feel better. Many of those suicides would not have happened if a gun were not readily available since suicidal thoughts, absent a gun, make it more difficult to kill oneself in the moment and suicidal ideation often passes after a time. Gun suicides are often impulsive actions. Taking pills often doesn't work or is discovered before death occurs.

There is a proven correlation between the availability of guns and deaths by gunshot. The current lack of consistency between jurisdictions make it very easy for criminals to acquire weapons.

While the right to own weapons is Constitutionally recognized it is not unlimited. No right is absolute. Freedom of speech is vigorously protected by the Constitution, but still restricted when it comes to falsely damaging someone's reputation, shouting fire in a crowded theater, counselling people to commit a crime, threatening violence, harassing etc. You have a right to practice your religion, you don't have a right to make others practice your religion or damage others through your practice of said religion. Your protected rights end where they infringe on someone else's rights. If that requires sensible federal regulations, then so be it. You have a right to self-defense and to hunt. That doesn't necessarily imply that you have an unlimited right to own an arsenal, for example. It doesn't mean that you have a right to leave your gun laying around where children may find it and fire it. With all rights come responsibilities and not all people are responsible. To that end, it is prudent to create restrictions such as banning private weapon sales, gun shows etc or requiring all buyers of weapons to undergo a background check, restricting the number of weapons, types of weapons and quantity of ammunition that you can possess or purchase without a special license.

We have a lot of technology today. It would not be impossible to create a registry of retinal patterns and a special ID with said retinal pattern that would be required for purchasing weapons. Without private sales, this would make straw man purchases, much more difficult, particularly if you couldn't own multiple weapons without a special license.

Millions of people should not have to die to protect a right.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Agent Zero (10-04-2017)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 40,087x in 27,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    my junk is ugly

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So further break those down.

How many were caused by illegal gun ownership, that mountains of regs, background checks, waiting periods, whatever wouldn't stop?

How many were by angry white guys shooting up movie theaters?

Bull$#@! called.
    my junk is ugly

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,586x in 36,517 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The fact that an easy majority of those deaths are suicides destroys your intended argument. Besides, what happened to my body my choice? Sorry, Who, this is the sort of emotionalism that, if it makes a good argument for anything, it's for getting rid of female suffrage.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

Chris (10-04-2017),Peter1469 (10-04-2017)

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,470
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Perianne's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,534x in 1,379 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    ... Without private sales, this would make straw man purchases, much more difficult, particularly if you couldn't own multiple weapons without a special license....
    If I have a right to own a gun, why does anyone care how many guns I have?

I have a couple of shotguns for home defense. I have several handguns for home defense, placed at different areas around my home. I have several guns my husband owned, but are too big for me to handle easily. I have a couple of .22 rifles that I like to shoot.

Why does it matter how many times I exercise my right guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution?

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,586x in 36,517 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    BTW, yes, "suicide ideation" also fades among those with serious illnesses once treated for depression but we don't care about that do we...
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

Captain Obvious (10-04-2017)

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    The fact that an easy majority of those deaths are suicides destroys your intended argument. Besides, what happened to my body my choice? Sorry, Who, this is the sort of emotionalism that, if it makes a good argument for anything, it's for getting rid of female suffrage.
    I didn't know what the proportion of those deaths were suicide, I didn't feel like doing everyone's homework, I just knew that those stats were... on the surface as presented not really honest.

But that's how the left's approach is - purely on raw emotion, not on honest statistics or data.

Making decisions or taking positions on raw emotion solely is grossly irresponsible.
    my junk is ugly

Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Perianne View Post
    If I have a right to own a gun, why does anyone care how many guns I have?

I have a couple of shotguns for home defense. I have several handguns for home defense, placed at different areas around my home. I have several guns my husband owned, but are too big for me to handle easily. I have a couple of .22 rifles that I like to shoot.

Why does it matter how many times I exercise my right guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution?
    For one thing, it sounds as though your weapons are unsecured (unless they are all in gun safes), so anytime you leave your house those weapons are at risk of being stolen by an intruder and ending up in the hands of criminals. Additionally, if you ever have other people in your home, including children, you have multiple loaded weapons that any one of them could pick up and discharge. Clearly, you are worried about intruders. For the cost of all of those weapons, a good security system would let you know the minute anyone steps on your property, nevermind in your house, so then you only need one handgun that you are very adept at using, as opposed to having many loaded weapons that could be found by an intruder and used against you. If you are a hunter, then you should have those rifles appropriate to what you hunt. They should be secured as well as the ammunition.

I have already explained that no right is absolute.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,532x in 55,048 Posts
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    I was about to get the violin out.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    So further break those down.

How many were caused by illegal gun ownership, that mountains of regs, background checks, waiting periods, whatever wouldn't stop?

How many were by angry white guys shooting up movie theaters?

Bull$#@! called.
    Deaths are deaths. Is inconvenience a good reason to make guns as easy to purchase as a can of soup? There is a reason why criminals have such easy access to weapons.

Mahatma Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread