User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wound Healing

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 2,023
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,449x in 11,739 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Wound Healing

Sweat Glands Play Major Role in Healing Human Wounds

ScienceDaily (Nov. 20, 2012) — As poor wound healing from diabetic ulcers and other ailments takes heavy toll on healthcare costs, U-M findings pave way for new efficient therapies.

It turns out the same glands that make you sweat are responsible for another job vital to your health: they help heal wounds.

Human skin is rich with millions of eccrine sweat glands that help your body cool down after a trip to the gym or on a warm day. These same glands, new University of Michigan Health System research shows, also happen to play a key role in providing cells for recovering skin wounds -- such as scrapes, burns and ulcers.

The findings were released online ahead of print in the American Journal of Pathology.
    Sweat Glands Play Major Role in Healing Human Wounds - Science Daily

This is a pretty neat thing to discover. At my work, diabetic ulcers and other wounds can take years to heal properly, if they ever do. It's amazing even the politics surrounding wound healing - recently the HEAL protocol was stopped because it required the use of a certain corporation's supplies, in favour of a best practice protocol. Constantly changing!

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 931
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsYour first GroupVeteran
    Conley's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,511x in 2,019 Posts
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Do you work in a hospital? I didn't know they had those at the North Pole, but I guess it makes sense with Santa being kind of elderly and all the manufacturing accidents with unskilled elf labor

Diabetic ulcers are really nasty...people dont seem to get or dont seem to care much about the obesity epidemic compared to other health issues and so much of it is preventable. There are a lot more complications than just looking bad in jeans.

So the sweat glands supply stem cells...very interesting:

The U-M findings demonstrate that cells arise from beneath the wound, and suggest that human eccrine sweat glands also store an important reservoir of adult stem cells that can quickly be recruited to aid wound healing.

tPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conley View Post
    Do you work in a hospital? I didn't know they had those at the North Pole, but I guess it makes sense with Santa being kind of elderly and all the manufacturing accidents with unskilled elf labor

Diabetic ulcers are really nasty...people dont seem to get or dont seem to care much about the obesity epidemic compared to other health issues and so much of it is preventable. There are a lot more complications than just looking bad in jeans.
    I work in the private health care industry.

It's amazing how many people with diabetes don't take their wounds seriously. Then they have to lose a toe, or a foot, or an entire leg... it's pretty sad. You can provide all the education, teaching and support in the world but at the end of the day it's the person with the disease that needs to take control of their life and take care of their bodies.

So the sweat glands supply stem cells...very interesting:
    Totally neat, right? Stem cells and associated research is absolutely fascinating.

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 931
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsYour first GroupVeteran
    Conley's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,511x in 2,019 Posts
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I agree ultimately it's the person who is responsible but I think it's weird how society (at least American) has become so accepting of obesity. Drunks and smokers are socially ostracized but people who eat themselves to death and drain our health resources through entirely preventable lifestyle choices are given a pass, relatively speaking

tPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conley View Post
    I agree ultimately it's the person who is responsible but I think it's weird how society (at least American) has become so accepting of obesity. Drunks and smokers are socially ostracized but people who eat themselves to death and drain our health resources through entirely preventable lifestyle choices are given a pass, relatively speaking
    Well, to some degree people are disapproving enough to let it effect their decisions and thoughts, consciously and subconsciously. A healthy sized person is more likely to get the job over an obese person, for example. Also, I think there are some people who absolutely won't judge the way they do with drunks or smokers because it is medically possible to have legitimate reasons why a person would be overweight or obese.

+ Reply to Thread