User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223 LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 225

Thread: What Is An Acceptable Amount of Gun Homicides?

  1. #211
    Points: 65,673, Level: 62
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 877
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Common Sense's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    927050
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    31,032
    Points
    65,673
    Level
    62
    Thanks Given
    11,845
    Thanked 11,971x in 8,399 Posts
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahuyaman View Post
    I never said anything about gang members. That was your assumption.
    Oh that's right...it was Democrats. All the Democrats shooting up everyone.

  2. #212
    Points: 107,444, Level: 79
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 506
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Ethereal's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    449693
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    38,523
    Points
    107,444
    Level
    79
    Thanks Given
    6,879
    Thanked 22,417x in 14,182 Posts
    Mentioned
    865 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to data compiled by FiveThirtyEight, black males are responsible for about 52% of gun homicides in America despite being less than 5% of the population. Black males between 15 and 34 years of age have a gun homicide rate of 73.5 per 100,000. By comparison, white males in the same age range have a gun homicide rate of 3.7 per 100,000. By all means, let's talk about the cause of gun violence in America.
    Two things awe me most, the starry sky above me and the moral law within me.
    --Immanuel Kant

  3. #213
    Points: 65,673, Level: 62
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 877
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Common Sense's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    927050
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    31,032
    Points
    65,673
    Level
    62
    Thanks Given
    11,845
    Thanked 11,971x in 8,399 Posts
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    According to data compiled by FiveThirtyEight, black males are responsible for about 52% of gun homicides in America despite being less than 5% of the population. Black males between 15 and 34 years of age have a gun homicide rate of 73.5 per 100,000. By comparison, white males in the same age range have a gun homicide rate of 3.7 per 100,000. By all means, let's talk about the cause of gun violence in America.
    Why do you think that is?

    At the same time, why does that mean we can't discuss gun regulations? Are they not citizens? Do they get these guns out of thin air? Before you say they steal them, they don't. They get them through straw buyers and gun shows in states with more lax regulations.

    But again, why do you think the homicide rate is so high in the black community?

    I've heard the argument that they are prone to violence. I vehemently disagree with that, but I'm curious to know what people think.

  4. #214
    Points: 107,444, Level: 79
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 506
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Ethereal's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    449693
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    38,523
    Points
    107,444
    Level
    79
    Thanks Given
    6,879
    Thanked 22,417x in 14,182 Posts
    Mentioned
    865 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common Sense View Post
    Why do you think that is?
    Like most social phenomena, the cause is multivariate. Specifically, I would cite drug prohibition, poverty, familial dysfunction, and lack of education as significant causes.

    At the same time, why does that mean we can't discuss gun regulations? Are they not citizens? Do they get these guns out of thin air? Before you say they steal them, they don't. They get them through straw buyers and gun shows in states with more lax regulations.
    Because gun regulations will not solve the problem, obviously. And because Americans like me refuse to surrender our rights simply because Democrats are terrible at governing their urban fiefdoms.
    Two things awe me most, the starry sky above me and the moral law within me.
    --Immanuel Kant

  5. #215
    Points: 124,755, Level: 85
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 1,295
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    247856
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Bremerton Washington or Sayulita Mexico depending on the time of year.
    Posts
    54,781
    Points
    124,755
    Level
    85
    Thanks Given
    6,313
    Thanked 16,816x in 12,945 Posts
    Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common Sense View Post
    Oh that's right...it was Democrats. All the Democrats shooting up everyone.
    where did I say " all the Democrats " were shooting up the place?

  6. #216
    Points: 65,673, Level: 62
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 877
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Common Sense's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    927050
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    31,032
    Points
    65,673
    Level
    62
    Thanks Given
    11,845
    Thanked 11,971x in 8,399 Posts
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Like most social phenomena, the cause is multivariate. Specifically, I would cite drug prohibition, poverty, familial dysfunction, and lack of education as significant causes.



    Because gun regulations will not solve the problem, obviously. And because Americans like me refuse to surrender our rights simply because Democrats are terrible at governing their urban fiefdoms.
    I agree with most of the first part. I'd add a $#@!ed up judicial system, cycles of poverty and yes...even racism. Yeah, I know.

    In regards to the second point, I often see this argument that urban gun violence is somehow removed from the gun debate as an outlier. The fact is, the ease of which guns are acquired and the lack of accountability is a huge factor. These guns don't appear out of the ether. They are a result of ineffective legislation intended to protect gun owners rights that may well protect people's rights, but also make it very easy for guns to make their way into the hands of criminals.

  7. #217
    Points: 65,673, Level: 62
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 877
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Common Sense's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    927050
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    31,032
    Points
    65,673
    Level
    62
    Thanks Given
    11,845
    Thanked 11,971x in 8,399 Posts
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahuyaman View Post
    where did I say " all the Democrats " were shooting up the place?
    Sorry I should have said those...not the.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tahuyaman View Post
    How would the stats on violent acts committed with firearms change if Democrats quit shooting people?
    What Democrats are shooting people?

  8. #218
    Points: 124,755, Level: 85
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 1,295
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    247856
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Bremerton Washington or Sayulita Mexico depending on the time of year.
    Posts
    54,781
    Points
    124,755
    Level
    85
    Thanks Given
    6,313
    Thanked 16,816x in 12,945 Posts
    Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really? Show me where I said "all the Democrats" are shooting people?

    But go ahead and view it with the other question about how would violence with firearms look like if you discounted the violence committed in the major cities ci trolled by Democrats who enact their policy ideas?

    Why not concentrate your efforts on those policies and ineffective law enforcement in those specific areas instead of going after those who are not a part of the problem?
    Last edited by Tahuyaman; 10-12-2017 at 02:09 PM.

  9. #219
    Points: 75,850, Level: 67
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,900
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    resister's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    152706
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Arcadia Fl
    Posts
    26,918
    Points
    75,850
    Level
    67
    Thanks Given
    20,816
    Thanked 8,687x in 6,660 Posts
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common Sense View Post
    Sorry I should have said those...not the.



    What Democrats are shooting people?
    Ask Scalise.
    I believe in the Sun, even at night. I believe in love, even when I am alone. I believe in God, even when He is silent. (Especially , then)




  10. #220
    Points: 107,444, Level: 79
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 506
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Ethereal's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    449693
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    38,523
    Points
    107,444
    Level
    79
    Thanks Given
    6,879
    Thanked 22,417x in 14,182 Posts
    Mentioned
    865 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common Sense View Post
    I agree with most of the first part. I'd add a $#@!ed up judicial system, cycles of poverty and yes...even racism. Yeah, I know.

    In regards to the second point, I often see this argument that urban gun violence is somehow removed from the gun debate as an outlier. The fact is, the ease of which guns are acquired and the lack of accountability is a huge factor. These guns don't appear out of the ether. They are a result of ineffective legislation intended to protect gun owners rights that may well protect people's rights, but also make it very easy for guns to make their way into the hands of criminals.
    No, it is not a huge factor. If it were a huge factor, then the entire country would be experiencing similar rates of gun violence to cities like Chicago. And I absolutely refuse to limit or surrender my right because other individuals are abusing that right.
    Two things awe me most, the starry sky above me and the moral law within me.
    --Immanuel Kant

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts


Critical Acclaim
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO