User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 46

Thread: Federal Cover-Up of Barbaric Factory Farms

  1. #1
    Points: 102,765, Level: 78
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 2,485
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Ethereal's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    448540
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    36,735
    Points
    102,765
    Level
    78
    Thanks Given
    6,602
    Thanked 21,264x in 13,455 Posts
    Mentioned
    843 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Federal Cover-Up of Barbaric Factory Farms

    The FBI’s Hunt for Two Missing Piglets Reveals the Federal Cover-Up of Barbaric Factory Farms

    Glenn Greenwald | October 5 2017, 1:05 p.m.

    FBI AGENTS ARE devoting substantial resources to a multistate hunt for two baby piglets that the bureau believes are named Lucy and Ethel. The two piglets were removed over the summer from the Circle Four Farm in Utah by animal rights activists who had entered the Smithfield Foods-owned factory farm to film the brutal, torturous conditions in which the pigs are bred in order to be slaughtered.

    [...]

    Female pigs give birth in this condition. They are put in so-called farrowing crates when they give birth, and their piglets run underneath them to suckle and are often trampled to death. The sows are bred repeatedly this way until their fertility declines, at which point they are slaughtered and turned into meat. The pigs are so desperate to get out of their crates that they often spend weeks trying to bite through the iron bars until their gums gush blood, bash their heads against the walls, and suffer a disease in which their organs end up mangled in the wrong places, from the sheer physical trauma of trying to escape from a tiny space or from acute anxiety (called “organ torsion”).

    [...]

    Retaliation for exposing cruel treatment

    What has vested these two piglets with such importance to the FBI is that their rescue is now part of what has become an increasingly visible public campaign by DxE and other activists to highlight the barbaric suffering and abuse that animals endure on farms like Circle Four. Obviously, the FBI and Smithfield — the nation’s largest industrial farm corporation — don’t really care about the missing piglets they are searching for. What they care about is the efficacy of a political campaign intent on showing the public how animals are abused at factory farms, and they are determined to intimidate those responsible.

    [...]

    Government power abused to intimidate and punish activists

    The Justice Department’s grave attention to a case of two missing piglets reflects how vigilantly the U.S. government uses extreme measures to protect the agricultural industry — not from unjust economic loss, violent crime, or theft, but from political embarrassment and accurate reporting that damages the industry’s reputation. A sweeping framework of draconian laws — designed to shield the industry from criticism and deter and punish its critics — has been enacted across the country by federal and state legislatures that are captive to the industry’s high-paid lobbyists. The most notorious of these measures are the “ag-gag” laws, which make publishing videos of farm conditions taken as part of undercover operations a felony, punishable by years in prison.

    [...]
    Quick summary: Activists went inside an industrial pig farming operation in order to film the cruel treatment and deplorable conditions that these animals are subjected to as a matter of course and rescued two dying piglets in the process. What ensued was a multistate "pighunt" by the FBI.

    You might be wondering why, in a time of actual terrorist threats, natural disasters, and generalized social unrest, the FBI would be committing any resources at all, let alone a substantial amount of them, trying to find two two piglets who would have been unceremoniously discarded by the factory farm from which they were rescued. The answer is quite simple: The US government is acting on behalf of massive agricultural corporations who are desperate to hide the systematic torture and maltreatment of farm animals from public view. That's it.

    For my own part, I've always found industrialized farming operations cruel and backwards, but I've never really done anything about it except object to it in the abstract. That ends now. I refuse to continue mindlessly supporting this industry with my money. I will commit to being more consciousness about the animal products I consume. I cannot promise I will stop supporting them 100%, since I, like most middle class Americans, operate under certain economic constraints that makes it somewhat difficult to only consume humanely raised animals, but I will DEFINITELY be reducing my consumption of these products and making a sincere effort to stop consuming them entirely in the coming years. And this change of heart is precisely why the US government, which is nothing more than the armed wing of a corporate oligarchy, wants to silence animal welfare activism, because it is so effective.
    Two things awe me most, the starry sky above me and the moral law within me.
    --Immanuel Kant

  2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ethereal For This Useful Post:

    Common Sense (10-12-2017),Devil'sAdvocate (10-12-2017),Green Arrow (10-12-2017),Mister D (10-12-2017),Peter1469 (10-12-2017),Standing Wolf (10-12-2017)

  3. #2
    Points: 129,788, Level: 87
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 2,862
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdrive50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupVeteran
    Green Arrow's Avatar Overlord
    Karma
    617516
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Posts
    43,220
    Points
    129,788
    Level
    87
    Thanks Given
    49,369
    Thanked 22,265x in 14,613 Posts
    Mentioned
    1598 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It might be useful to see if Sessions ever got any money from Smithfield.
    "We were taught under the old ethic that man's business on this earth was to look out for himself. That was the ethic of the jungle; the ethic of the wild beast. Take care of yourself, no matter what may become of your fellow man. Yes, I am my brother's keeper. I am under a moral obligation to him that is inspired, not by any maudlin sentimentality, but by the higher duty I owe to myself."
    - Eugene V. Debs (1855-1926), American labor leader

  4. #3
    Points: 102,765, Level: 78
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 2,485
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Ethereal's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    448540
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    36,735
    Points
    102,765
    Level
    78
    Thanks Given
    6,602
    Thanked 21,264x in 13,455 Posts
    Mentioned
    843 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Arrow View Post
    It might be useful to see if Sessions ever got any money from Smithfield.
    Wouldn't be surprised. I'm sure he has received a goodly amount from the agricultural industry.
    Two things awe me most, the starry sky above me and the moral law within me.
    --Immanuel Kant

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ethereal For This Useful Post:

    Green Arrow (10-12-2017)

  6. #4
    Original Ranter
    Points: 200,237, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    388107
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    78,289
    Points
    200,237
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    15,207
    Thanked 25,049x in 18,166 Posts
    Mentioned
    820 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Quick summary: Activists went inside an industrial pig farming operation in order to film the cruel treatment and deplorable conditions that these animals are subjected to as a matter of course and rescued two dying piglets in the process. What ensued was a multistate "pighunt" by the FBI.

    You might be wondering why, in a time of actual terrorist threats, natural disasters, and generalized social unrest, the FBI would be committing any resources at all, let alone a substantial amount of them, trying to find two two piglets who would have been unceremoniously discarded by the factory farm from which they were rescued. The answer is quite simple: The US government is acting on behalf of massive agricultural corporations who are desperate to hide the systematic torture and maltreatment of farm animals from public view. That's it.

    For my own part, I've always found industrialized farming operations cruel and backwards, but I've never really done anything about it except object to it in the abstract. That ends now. I refuse to continue mindlessly supporting this industry with my money. I will commit to being more consciousness about the animal products I consume. I cannot promise I will stop supporting them 100%, since I, like most middle class Americans, operate under certain economic constraints that makes it somewhat difficult to only consume humanely raised animals, but I will DEFINITELY be reducing my consumption of these products and making a sincere effort to stop consuming them entirely in the coming years. And this change of heart is precisely why the US government, which is nothing more than the armed wing of a corporate oligarchy, wants to silence animal welfare activism, because it is so effective.
    Animal welfare activism ranges from reasonable to insane but I hear you. Regarding your personal economic situation, there is a much bigger market now for ethical meat products. It's really not that expensive anymore.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.


    ~Alain de Benoist


  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

    Ethereal (10-12-2017)

  8. #5
    Points: 129,788, Level: 87
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 2,862
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdrive50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupVeteran
    Green Arrow's Avatar Overlord
    Karma
    617516
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Posts
    43,220
    Points
    129,788
    Level
    87
    Thanks Given
    49,369
    Thanked 22,265x in 14,613 Posts
    Mentioned
    1598 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Wouldn't be surprised. I'm sure he has received a goodly amount from the agricultural industry.
    So far OpenSecrets is showing his top donors as the defense industry and oil and gas, but that won't prevent him for doing favors for big agriculture.
    "We were taught under the old ethic that man's business on this earth was to look out for himself. That was the ethic of the jungle; the ethic of the wild beast. Take care of yourself, no matter what may become of your fellow man. Yes, I am my brother's keeper. I am under a moral obligation to him that is inspired, not by any maudlin sentimentality, but by the higher duty I owe to myself."
    - Eugene V. Debs (1855-1926), American labor leader

  9. #6
    Points: 102,765, Level: 78
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 2,485
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Ethereal's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    448540
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    36,735
    Points
    102,765
    Level
    78
    Thanks Given
    6,602
    Thanked 21,264x in 13,455 Posts
    Mentioned
    843 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    Animal welfare activism ranges from reasonable to insane but I hear you. Regarding your personal economic situation, there is a much bigger market now for ethical meat products. It's really not that expensive anymore.
    That's good to know. I'd appreciate any recommendations you might have.
    Two things awe me most, the starry sky above me and the moral law within me.
    --Immanuel Kant

  10. #7
    Points: 93,347, Level: 74
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,403
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Private Pickle's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    176791
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Rocky Mountain High
    Posts
    28,567
    Points
    93,347
    Level
    74
    Thanks Given
    5,740
    Thanked 8,252x in 6,052 Posts
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did the farm break any laws?
    I find your lack of faith...disturbing...

    -Darth Vader

  11. #8
    Points: 102,765, Level: 78
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 2,485
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Ethereal's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    448540
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    36,735
    Points
    102,765
    Level
    78
    Thanks Given
    6,602
    Thanked 21,264x in 13,455 Posts
    Mentioned
    843 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Private Pickle View Post
    Did the farm break any laws?
    I don't see how that's at issue here.
    Two things awe me most, the starry sky above me and the moral law within me.
    --Immanuel Kant

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ethereal For This Useful Post:

    Green Arrow (10-12-2017),Peter1469 (10-12-2017)

  13. #9
    Original Ranter
    Points: 200,237, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    388107
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    78,289
    Points
    200,237
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    15,207
    Thanked 25,049x in 18,166 Posts
    Mentioned
    820 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    That's good to know. I'd appreciate any recommendations you might have.
    There are some companies I buy from that you most likely have access to but it tends to be more localized than Perdue etc.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.


    ~Alain de Benoist


  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

    Green Arrow (10-12-2017)

  15. #10
    Points: 102,765, Level: 78
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 2,485
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Ethereal's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    448540
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    36,735
    Points
    102,765
    Level
    78
    Thanks Given
    6,602
    Thanked 21,264x in 13,455 Posts
    Mentioned
    843 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    There are some companies I buy from that you most likely have access to but it tends to be more localized than Perdue etc.
    Localized is what it's all about!

    Two things awe me most, the starry sky above me and the moral law within me.
    --Immanuel Kant

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Ethereal For This Useful Post:

    Green Arrow (10-12-2017)

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts


Critical Acclaim
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO