Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,140x in 1,616 Posts
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

ADHD Drug Tied to Heart Defects in Babies...

ADHD Drug Tied to Heart Defects in Babies
    January 11, 2018 - Pregnant women who take drugs like Ritalin and Concerta for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) are more likely than those who don't to have babies with heart deformities and other birth defects, a recent study suggests.
    Researchers examined data on more than 1.8 million pregnancies in the U.S., including 2,072 women who used methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta, Daytrana) and 5,571 who took an amphetamine (Adderall) during their first trimester. Overall, women who took methylphenidate were 11 percent more likely to have a baby with birth defects and 28 percent more likely to have infants with heart malformations than women who didn't take stimulants for ADHD during pregnancy. There was no increased risk of birth defects in general or heart malformations specifically with amphetamines like Adderall, the researchers found. "Our findings suggest that there might be a small increase in the risk of cardiac malformations associated with intrauterine exposure to methylphenidate," said lead study author Krista Huybrechts of Harvard Medical School and Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston. "Although the absolute risk is small, it is nevertheless important evidence to consider when weighing the potential risks and benefits of different treatment strategies for ADHD in young women of reproductive age and in pregnant women," Huybrechts said by email.

A study has found that pregnant women who take drugs such as Ritalin and Concerta for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder are more likely to have babies with heart deformities and other birth defects.

An estimated 3 percent of children, teens and adults have ADHD, researchers note in JAMA Psychiatry. Stimulants like Adderall and Ritalin are among the most commonly prescribed medications for the condition, and these drugs are increasingly being used by women of childbearing age. All of the women in the current study had health insurance through Medicaid, the U.S. benefits program for the poor. Among children of women who were not taking stimulants for ADHD, 35 out of every 1,000 babies had birth defects, compared with 46 out of every 1,000 infants born to women using drugs like Ritalin. To assess whether these results were unique to the U.S. or to women on Medicaid, researchers also examined health registry data for more than 2.5 million pregnancies in Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden. In the Nordic data, drugs like Ritalin were also associated with a 28 percent higher risk of heart malformations in babies. The study wasn't a controlled experiment designed to prove whether or how specific ADHD drugs might cause birth defects.

Because the study only included live births, it didn't explore whether the drugs might increase the risks of severe birth defects that lead to miscarriage or stillbirths or that prompt women to terminate pregnancies, the authors note. "If a woman has mild symptoms, it might be possible to avoid use of the medicine during pregnancy," said Dr. William Cooper, a researcher at Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville, Tennessee, who wasn't involved in the study but wrote an accompanying editorial. "However, if the woman has severe symptoms that interfere with her daily function, the results of this study can help to guide decisions on whether to continue," Cooper said by email. It may also make sense for some women with ADHD to consider stopping or changing medications when they're trying to conceive, Huybrechts said. "Considering the high rate of unplanned pregnancies among young women, the potential for accidental exposure is also very high,"Huybrechts said. "Although the absolute risk is small, it is nevertheless important evidence to consider when weighing the potential risks and benefits of different treatment strategies for ADHD in young women of reproductive age and in pregnant
    women.

https://www.voanews.com/a/adhd-drug-...s/4203918.html

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,837x in 10,134 Posts
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
    Do you find that symptoms reappear during high stress times? Wouldn't surprise me if it was a misdiagnosis, but it could also be that you grew out of it - which happens.

The odds are that many children up until fairly recently were misdiagnosed with ADD/ADHD. I would think/hope that this trend would be reduced now that developmental/behavioural psychologists and physicians understand the disorders better. The research study that concluded most individuals diagnosed with the disorder were born in the later months was really interesting - they were less mature than their classmates and automatically given the label. I should go find it...

There is also a book on bipolar disorder that I had to read a few years back by Demitri and Janice Papolos that had an entire portion of the book dedicated to the differential diagnosis of ADHD for bipolar disorder. So, children who are actualy exhibiting signs of a mood disorder are diagnosed with ADHD and then you've got children exhibiting signs of a behavioural/developmental disorder being diagnosed as bipolar. The medications for these disorders are entirely different classifications of drugs so it's a pretty big clinical error to make and could deeply worsen the outcomes in the long-term, especially given that reversing a diagnosis can often take years of observation, multiple failed therapy models, multiple physicians/therapists, and so on.
    You never grow out of ADD. You make go arounds to hide it. This just shows waht a little information does.
    I'm ADD and not misdiagnosed.I have trouble remembering names so i don't address people by name. I have trouble thinking quickly so I always hesitate before answering even if I have the answer right in front of me.I'm terrible at math( usually true with ADD) so I consider the calculator as a God send. Doctors know less about ADD that they do the common cold.

People with ADD tend to be very blunt. They don't have a real trigger guard when they think. What I think is what i say too many times. What I think sometimes needs better wording that most people do naturally.

Go find an ADD group and see how mistaken you are. No one who really has ADD would recognize what you posted.
    Last edited by Captdon; 01-13-2018 at 10:29 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Captdon For This Useful Post:

waltky (05-15-2018)

Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 496
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsSocial
    waltky's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,140x in 1,616 Posts
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Kids antibiotic use is down...

Kids Are Taking Fewer Antibiotics, More ADHD Meds
    May 15, 2018 • Doctors are prescribing fewer drugs to children, especially antibiotics. But use of certain drugs, including ADHD medications, has increased.
    Children and adolescents are getting fewer prescription drugs than they did in years past, according to a study that looks at a cross-section of the American population. "The decrease in antibiotic use is really what's driving this overall decline in prescription medication use that we're seeing in children and adolescents," says Craig Hales, a preventive medicine physician at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's National Center for Health Statistics and lead author of a study published Tuesday in JAMA. Hales says that's a good thing. "Thirty percent of antibiotic prescriptions are unnecessary and potentially dangerous," he says. They're often given for colds and other viral infections, where they are useless. And they may have side effects. Antibiotic overuse also increases the risk that these drugs lose their curative powers.

The study is based on data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Study, which included more than 38,000 children and adolescents. The study compared prescription drug use from 1999 to 2002 with prescriptions given in 2011 to 2014, the last period for which data were available. Overall, the proportion of children and teenagers getting prescriptions dropped from about 25 percent to 22 percent. Prescriptions for some drugs increased, such as for treatments for asthma, contraception and attention-deficit and hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). The survey also noted a large gap in prescription use among children and adolescents who were insured versus those who weren't. Some 23 percent of insured youth had recently taken a prescription of some sort, compared with 10 percent of those who were uninsured.

It's hard to know how exactly to interpret many of the findings, says Gary Freed, a pediatrician and researcher at the University of Michigan Medical School, who was not involved with the research. That gap could be a sign of overuse among the insured or underuse in the uninsured. "It's very common for people who don't need things but want to pay for them, to be able to get them," Freed says. "It's also possible that some children who really need medications, if they're uninsured, don't get them." The study doesn't provide information that can address key questions like that. For example, antihistamines are widely overused or inappropriately used in children, Freed says. The study shows a decline in prescriptions for antihistamines, but that may simply be because many of these drugs came available without a prescription during the study period. "So the fact that the prescribing went down may mean something good or it may simply mean that people are going to the drugstore and buying those same medications," Freed says.

Freed says he can't even say whether the overall use of prescription drugs in children and teen-agers, at 22 percent in a typical 30-day period, is a sign of overuse or underuse. "The danger is thinking 'oh my goodness that's so many kids getting medications,' " he says. "But at the same time, before we make that conclusion we have to know whether those were appropriate or not appropriate. "More children than ever are alive today because they've survived diseases that require medical treatment, he notes. Yet certain drugs are still overused. And in other instances, such as ADHD drugs, there's disagreement about when treatment is appropriate. Those questions require more directed – and more expensive – studies. Hales hopes that his broad-brush findings will stimulate that further research.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...more-adhd-meds

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 413
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Lummy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,307x in 4,359 Posts
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged