User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why does mass culture pretend to care about marriage?

Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 317
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Devil'sAdvocate's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 87x in 71 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why does mass culture pretend to care about marriage?

"Marriage" (or "relationships in general") to the vast majority doesn't have much to do with 'love, commitment', or more esoteric things - it's primarily simply about economic convenience and expedience, akin to a having a roommate or "kept woman".

For some it's also just a refuge of insecure souls who try to seek some type of lasting happiness solely from the external or material (physical companionship) rather than developing themselves inwardly.

In other words, it's only "sacred" to those who have an appreciation of higher things than mass society offers, while to the rest it's simply mercenary and transactionary, and even those who 'stay married' or together for long periods of time usually just do so for pragmatic reasons (e.x. loneliness, money, believe that it's 'better than nothing', etc).

So why does mass society tend to pretend to view it as 'sacred' and feign political outrage over 'infidelity' (e.x. Trump's '$#@!' comments), when to them it's really not much different than a mating ritual practiced by any other creature? Only someone truly naive would buy into their act.

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,487x in 94,934 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is mass culture / society?

"Marriage" (or "relationships in general") to the vast majority doesn't have much to do with 'love, commitment', or more esoteric things - it's primarily simply about economic convenience and expedience, akin to a having a roommate or "kept woman".
    I think that is an insane comment.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,323x in 10,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is not what marriage was when I was a very young man. We viewed marriage as a mutual committment for life between a man and woman who loved each other and wanted to have a family. It remained that until not too long ago when people decided they wanted to shred that institution to benefit themselves or justify their behavior.

They have since moved on to shred other segments of our lives
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 87x in 71 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    What is mass culture / society?
    Hard to define, I'd say the general views of American culture as reflected on media at large.
    I think that is an insane comment

I'd disagree, I do believe that couples exist who have a higher level of companionship; at the same time there are many more selfish reasons to "find a partner", such as desire purely for physical companionship, financial convenience, simply wanting some 'status' associated with the title, etc.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 87x in 71 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    That is not what marriage was when I was a very young man. We viewed marriage as a mutual committment for life between a man and woman who loved each other and wanted to have a family. It remained that until not too long ago when people decided they wanted to shred that institution to benefit themselves or justify their behavior.

They have since moved on to shred other segments of our lives
    This might be true to some extent, the Frankfurt school of Marxism (which influenced the 60s counter-culture) basically viewed the invention of the nuclear family and inheritance as what capitalism and private property originated from, and believed that they could create an egalitarian 'classless' society where all children were collectively owned, so they encouraged single motherhood and promiscuity to this end.

At the same time I believe these problems have existed in some form or another historically, since human nature hasn't changed; in eras past some people may have married for selfish reasons such as inheritance or greed.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil'sAdvocate View Post
    This might be true to some extent, the Frankfurt school of Marxism (which influenced the 60s counter-culture) basically viewed the invention of the nuclear family and inheritance as what capitalism and private property originated from, and believed that they could create an egalitarian 'classless' society where all children were collectively owned, so they encouraged single motherhood and promiscuity to this end.

At the same time I believe these problems have existed in some form or another historically, since human nature hasn't changed; in eras past some people may have married for selfish reasons such as inheritance or greed.
    I was raised in the tail end of industrial family age, where family members all lived in close proximity to each other. Mine was a bit different my father and I lived in another part of the city due to our economic standard being below most of the rest of the family.

Industrial families were closer tighter knit and marriage meant something to them and that was instilled in their children but we were the last generation to have morals instilled in us. Today having morals is a bad thing it means you are one thing or another it seems

We were raised never to make fun of anyone handicapped, to help elderly people and carry packages for women and open doors for them, that was all taught to us as being respectful.

They even passed common law to protect women that never married or from men who wouldnt marry them.

Today there is less respect for everything
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

Devil'sAdvocate (10-19-2017)

Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 192
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesYour first GroupTagger First ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Downloads
    Refugee's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,259x in 1,583 Posts
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, we’ll abolish traditional marriage and replace it with one parent welfare dependent families, abortion, illegitimacy and ‘gay’ weddings. Better now?
    The cultural Marxists still believe, even as society is collapsing around their ears. Traditions evolved over centuries, take them away, substitute the beliefs of a utopia and we shouldn’t be too surprised at what happens next.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 87x in 71 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    I was raised in the tail end of industrial family age, where family members all lived in close proximity to each other. Mine was a bit different my father and I lived in another part of the city due to our economic standard being below most of the rest of the family.

Industrial families were closer tighter knit and marriage meant something to them and that was instilled in their children but we were the last generation to have morals instilled in us. Today having morals is a bad thing it means you are one thing or another it seems

We were raised never to make fun of anyone handicapped, to help elderly people and carry packages for women and open doors for them, that was all taught to us as being respectful.

They even passed common law to protect women that never married or from men who wouldnt marry them.

Today there is less respect for everything
    I believe experiments in 'diversity' and 'multiculturalism' have influenced this, it's societies which have the most 'diversity' which are the most violent, while those which are culturally homogeneous like Japan have low rates of crime and high levels of respect.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Devil'sAdvocate For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe experiments in 'diversity' and 'multiculturalism' have influenced this, it's societies which have the most 'diversity' which are the most violent, while those which are culturally homogeneous like Japan have low rates of crime and high levels of respect.
    I agree
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 2,237
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,261x in 12,384 Posts
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Where did you get that idea? "Vast majority"? Ridiculous assertion on its face.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

Captain Obvious (10-19-2017)

+ Reply to Thread