Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,261x in 12,384 Posts
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Lock Up Your Spam!

Spam, A Lot Of It, Stolen to Feed Hawaii’s Black Market

EWA BEACH, HI — Hawaiians like Spam a lot, consuming more than five cans per person per year, and officials across the Pacific island chain are reporting that a thieves in an organized retail crime network are stealing cartloads of the mealtime favorite, becoming more brazen as they feed the Spam black market. The latest in a spate of Spam heists, both attempted and successful, occurred Wednesday at a drug store in Ewa Beach, where three women are accused of trying to steal 18 cases of the canned ham product from a drug store.

Some stores, like the Ewa Beach Long’s Drugs on the island of Oahu, where the attempted theft took place, are now locking down their supplies and Spam is only available by request, like expensive liquors and luxury items. Thieves are also stealing designer clothing, electronics, power tools and canned corned beef, which is also popular in Hawaii, according to the Hawaii Retail Association.

The stolen Spam and other items are sold at swap meets and, sometimes, from the back of cars, according to media reports.

I actually used to live in Eva Beach. Not exactly a crime-ridden den of iniquity, but then that was more than thirty years ago.

I wasn't aware of the grab-and-dash problem they're apparently having now, but I've long known how popular Spam is in Hawaii. Because so many things, including meat, have to be imported by ship from the mainland, the cost of those things is much higher than elsewhere. Spam is relatively cheap, so they've been including it in local recipes since at least the '40s.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,323x in 10,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ate spam once in the military and ive never put it in my mouth again, its on the same level as vienna sausage in a jar to me
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

AZ Jim (10-20-2017)

Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 747
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Abby08's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 30,328x in 18,861 Posts
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If fried until crispy, it's not too bad. I haven't eaten spam since I was a teenager.

+ Reply to Thread