Ethereal's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 41,580x in 26,042 Posts
    Mentioned
    1175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Democrats, by and large, profit off of tax dollars. Many of them work for the government or for businesses that are heavily dependent on government contracts, subsidies, and regulations. So of course they are big fans of taxation and raising taxes because they are profiting off of the arrangement. Probably every hardcore Democrat on this forum depends in some way on tax money for their livelihood. Naturally, they cannot frame their support for taxation as a mercenary lust for money, so they must dress up their profit motive in socially benevolent rhetoric about "health", "safety", "welfare", etc. This is fundamentally no different than how every ruling class in history dating back to the Pharaohs attempted to frame their taxation policies. Nothing has changed in that regard. The state still operates on the same basic premises and narratives that it always has.
    Power always thinks it has a great soul, and vast views, beyond the comprehension of the weak. And that it is doing God service when it is violating all His laws.
    --John Adams

Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 549
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Docthehun's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,497x in 2,935 Posts
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Democrats, by and large, profit off of tax dollars. Many of them work for the government or for businesses that are heavily dependent on government contracts, subsidies, and regulations. So of course they are big fans of taxation and raising taxes because they are profiting off of the arrangement. Probably every hardcore Democrat on this forum depends in some way on tax money for their livelihood. Naturally, they cannot frame their support for taxation as a mercenary lust for money, so they must dress up their profit motive in socially benevolent rhetoric about "health", "safety", "welfare", etc. This is fundamentally no different than how every ruling class in history dating back to the Pharaohs attempted to frame their taxation policies. Nothing has changed in that regard. The state still operates on the same basic premises and narratives that it always has.
    Everybody profits off tax dollars. Rich Republicans do.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    Ethereal's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 41,580x in 26,042 Posts
    Mentioned
    1175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Docthehun View Post
    Everybody profits off tax dollars. Rich Republicans do.
    Not everybody. The middle class may get some return on their investment in the form of infrastructure and the like, but it is not accurate to characterize that as "profit" in the same way that being on the government payroll is. That said, you are absolutely right that many rich Republicans profit off of tax dollars which is why you will never see me defending Republicans as an organization or as a general principle. For whatever reason, some people choose to interpret my criticisms of Democrats as an endorsement of Republicans. This is simply not accurate. Indeed, my strident and frequent criticisms of the Republican party are on record for all to see. But as the old saying goes, none are so blind as those who will not see.
    Power always thinks it has a great soul, and vast views, beyond the comprehension of the weak. And that it is doing God service when it is violating all His laws.
    --John Adams

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ethereal For This Useful Post:

Docthehun (10-25-2017)

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,470
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Perianne's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,534x in 1,379 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose someone could say I profit from taxes. The government steals thousands of dollars from my pay, turns around and gives my money to the hospital for someone's hospitalization, and in turn I get paid from my own dollars that I paid in.

+ Reply to Thread