User Tag List

View Poll Results: Leading cause of failure in black communities?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lack of educational application

1 25.00%
  • Peer enabling

1 25.00%
  • Establishment enslavement

1 25.00%
  • A fucking brown sugar pop janitor

1 25.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What is the black communities greatest challenge?

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    Ethereal's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 41,580x in 26,042 Posts
    Mentioned
    1175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Perianne View Post
    Are all races equal?
    This question presupposes the legitimacy of "race" as a concept when there is a strong argument to be made that it is really just a social construct.

In any case, even if we presuppose the existence and the legitimacy of race as a concept, the evidence shows that average differences in IQ between nominally "black" and "white" races are of no real significance. Not only is there greater variation in intelligence WITHIN a racial group than between them, but average values tell us nothing about an INDIVIDUAL who may belong to one of those groups.
    Power always thinks it has a great soul, and vast views, beyond the comprehension of the weak. And that it is doing God service when it is violating all His laws.
    --John Adams

Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 3,963
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,647x in 14,858 Posts
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Perianne View Post
    Are all races equal?

Not according to IQ test. Certain Jewish populations and Asians rule, regular old whites are next and well you can take it from there. I'm not convinced that needle can't be moved, but the number of blacks with sub 85 IQ's is higher that the precentage of whites with sub 85 IQ's . I'm not and expert but I believe that IQ level presents problems being successful in the real world.
    Let me be clear , I do say this to be racist and most blacks are still well above that line . But somehow facts have to enter into this debate so we can find a way to remedy the situation.
    Last edited by donttread; 10-28-2017 at 07:53 AM.

Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,531x in 55,047 Posts
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    This question presupposes the legitimacy of "race" as a concept when there is a strong argument to be made that it is really just a social construct.

In any case, even if we presuppose the existence and the legitimacy of race as a concept, the evidence shows that average differences in IQ between nominally "black" and "white" races are of no real significance. Not only is there greater variation in intelligence WITHIN a racial group than between them, but average values tell us nothing about an INDIVIDUAL who may belong to one of those groups.

Some interesting findings not so much discussed...

African immigrant blacks do better on IQ tests than other blacks, some whites

The fact that black immigrants to the United States have shown achievements that are superior to native black Americans has been a phenomenon studied since at least the 1970′s. At first it was just the Caribbean blacks who were a subject of this unexpected outcome. As black Africans kept immigrating into the US, they showed even higher levels of achievement than the native blacks. Many scholars theorized on the reasons for these differences, from Thomas Sowell’s proposal that this disproved the validity of discrimination against native blacks as an explanation for their underachievement (Sowell, 1978), to other scholars who suggested that these immigrants were just the most highly driven members of their home countries as evidenced by their willingness to migrate to a foreign country (Butcher, 1990).
    Here is Sowell, Race and IQ

Years ago, while doing research on education and IQ, I happened to be in the principal's office at a black school in Cincinnati, as he was preparing to open a large brown envelope containing the results of IQ tests that his students had taken. Before he opened the envelope, I offered to bet him that a large majority of the students with IQs over 110 would be girls.

He was too smart to take the bet. Studies had shown that females predominated among high-IQ blacks. One study of blacks whose IQs were 140 and up found that there were more than five times as many females as males at these levels.

This is hard to explain by either heredity or environment, as those terms are usually defined, since black males and black females have the same ancestors and grow up in the same homes. Meanwhile, white males and white females have the same average IQs, with slightly more males at both the highest and lowest IQs.
    And on the "gap" Sowell writes...

As it turned out, the research showed that the average IQ difference between black and white Americans -- 15 points -- was nothing unusual. Similar IQ differences could be found between various culturally isolated white communities and the general society, both in the United States and in Britain. Among various groups in India, mental test differences were slightly greater than those between blacks and whites in the United States.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Some interesting findings not so much discussed...

African immigrant blacks do better on IQ tests than other blacks, some whites

Here is Sowell, Race and IQ

And on the "gap" Sowell writes...

Chris the measure of research is statistical significance not how badly Sowell wanted to avoid the racist label. And 15% lower is statistically significant no matter how you slice it. IQ's in parts of Africa are even lower! I would like to see race IQ compared along socioeconomic lines and I would expect less difference, but still a meaningful difference.
    We can never solve a real world problem by ignoring facts to avoid the dreaded racist tag.
    My theory is that it all has something to do with when your ancestors came out of my beloved H&G tribes. They had the skills for that world and those with 10,000 years of so called civilization have better skills for this world than say my poor Pygmies who were still in tribal groups to an extent half way through the last century . We can't fix problems by ignoring facts just because they are not PC

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    Chris the measure of research is statistical significance not how badly Sowell wanted to avoid the racist label. And 15% lower is statistically significant no matter how you slice it. IQ's in parts of Africa are even lower! I would like to see race IQ compared along socioeconomic lines and I would expect less difference, but still a meaningful difference.
    We can never solve a real world problem by ignoring facts to avoid the dreaded racist tag.
    My theory is that it all has something to do with when your ancestors came out of my beloved H&G tribes. They had the skills for that world and those with 10,000 years of so called civilization have better skills for this world than say my poor Pygmies who were still in tribal groups to an extent half way through the last century . We can't fix problems by ignoring facts just because they are not PC

The data he presented is what should be paid attention to. It defies the simple conclusion that race and IQ are related.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The data he presented is what should be paid attention to. It defies the simple conclusion that race and IQ are related.
    That's crap and you know it. You can't just expalin one race having an average IQ almost 18% higher than another . I mean c'mom man. "Similar differences could be shown between certain isolated white segments" might mean something if the studies had only measured IQ among "isolated black segments" As I said though I think socio-economics is a large factor . I noticed he avoided calling those similar differences "statistically significant" . I wonder why? He's grasping at straws and again the data would only be relevent if all the blacks in the IQ studies were from isolated groups. You know how to evaluate research better than this, you just can't admit the truth. While as I have always assumed that Asians were smarter than whites on average and have no problem with that
    Last edited by donttread; 10-28-2017 at 10:21 AM.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    That's crap and you know it. You can't just expalin one race having an average IQ almost 18% higher than another . I meam c'mom man. "Similar differences could be shown between certain isolated white segments" might mean something if the studies had only measured IQ among "isolated black segments" As I sid though I think socio-economics is a large factor . I noticed he avoded calling those similar differences "statistically significant" . I wonder why? He's grasping at straws and again the data would only be relevent if all the blacks in the IQ studies were from isolated groups. You know how to evaluate research better than this, you just can't admit the truth. While as I have always assumed that Asians were smarter than whites on average and have no problem with that

Slow down. It is a fact that "females predominated among high-IQ blacks". That alone defies the simple assertion that IQ is race-based. The fact the gap is normal across even non-racially distinguished groups also defies the contention. And the fact that some immigrant blacks score high also defines it. Those are facts. If the claim is at all scientific then it must account for all the facts.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    There's also this: Race, Intelligence and IQ: Are Blacks Smarter than Whites? which points out that immigrants from some places in Africa have on average higher IQs than whites.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slow down. It is a fact that "females predominated among high-IQ blacks". That alone defies the simple assertion that IQ is race-based. The fact the gap is normal across even non-racially distinguished groups also defies the contention. And the fact that some immigrant blacks score high also defines it. Those are facts. If the claim is at all scientific then it must account for all the facts.
    1) It is entirely possible for a factor to be partially racial and partiallty gender specific and partly based upon other factors . For example black women out live black men and live about as long as white men but white women out live us all.
    2) Studies ELIMINATE differences in distinquished groups by something called "random sampling"
    3) Which immigrants ? The ones we admit to keep skilled labor prices down? Or on acadmic visas? Shocker. Meanwhile some parts of Africa boast a 70 average IQ! Seventy, they probably have to wear flip flops for want of the ability to tie their shoes! Proving that race is not the only factor but certainly helping to prove that it is A factor.
    4) The science in question accounts for averages and means , like most science. The fact that outliers exist in absolutely meaningless.
    5) Chris, you know this in your heart and you know that I've got the guts to say it and risk the "racism label" even though I am not racist.
    6) Your turn are you going to keep hiding behind unscientifuic excuses or admit the truth so we can start to try to fix those truths?

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    1) It is entirely possible for a factor to be partially racial and partiallty gender specific and partly based upon other factors . For example black women out live black men and live about as long as white men but white women out live us all.
    2) Studies ELIMINATE differences in distinquished groups by something called "random sampling"
    3) Which immigrants ? The ones we admit to keep skilled labor prices down? Or on acadmic visas? Shocker. Meanwhile some parts of Africa boast a 70 average IQ! Seventy, they probably have to wear flip flops for want of the ability to tie their shoes! Proving that race is not the only factor but certainly helping to prove that it is A factor.
    4) The science in question accounts for averages and means , like most science. The fact that outliers exist in absolutely meaningless.
    5) Chris, you know this in your heart and you know that I've got the guts to say it and risk the "racism label" even though I am not racist.
    6) Your turn are you going to keep hiding behind unscientifuic excuses or admit the truth so we can start to try to fix those truths?

It's not about me.

It is entirely possible for a factor to be partially racial and partiallty gender specific and partly based upon other factors . For example black women out live black men and live about as long as white men but white women out live us all.
    Your example suggests it's not race at all but something else. For in fact women generally live longer than men: https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...expectancy-lo/.

+ Reply to Thread