Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,721x in 4,392 Posts
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kevin Spacey Case Shows Male Privilege

As you've probably heard, the popular program House of Cards was recently cancelled when one Anthony Rapp accused Kevin Spacey of sexually harassing him when he was just 14 years old. Good! There should be consequences! But I want to point out something funny about that real quick today: Let's imagine for a moment if Anthony Rapp had been female. Would the same consequences have resulted?

Many very powerful men have been brought down by accusations of sexual harassment, assault, and rape lately. But there is a gendered difference here. Typically, it takes dozens of women coming forward before the accusations begin to be taken seriously. Woody Allen and Roman Polanski still have careers after facing far more serious allegations than those leveled against Kevin Spacey. The latter, in fact, was not only accused, but actually convicted of child rape, and yet still has a career! Or take the case of Bill Cosby, for instance. It took 35 women coming forward before the media began to realize that the allegations being leveled against Mr. Cosby were credible. Doing the math on that indicates that each woman's word was valued at 2.8% that of Bill Cosby's. But Anthony Rapp's word was valued at 100% that of the man who apparently preyed on him. You see the difference? ONE accusation from ONE man and House of Cards is done, kaput, game over, no continues!

I'm just using these as examples. The principle applies far more broadly. This is my answer to those who respond to every single allegation of sexual harassment, assault, or rape case that they hear of wherein a woman was on the receiving end with "but what about men?! Men face this stuff too!" Yes, boys and men do face these things as well. Far more rarely than girls and women. You know why? Because they are a lot more likely to be believed than we are. Maybe if people trusted us as much as they do our male counterparts, these things would not be so pervasive in general. Maybe movements like #MeToo wouldn't be so necessary. Just thoughts!
    Last edited by IMPress Polly; 11-03-2017 at 07:04 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IMPress Polly For This Useful Post:

Green Arrow (11-03-2017)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,323x in 10,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After the rapp accusation there have been more pedophile accusations against spacey, he has entered a rehab program, the usual move by celebrities to shed guilt, like it absolves them
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

DGUtley (11-03-2017),IMPress Polly (11-03-2017)

Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,489x in 55,026 Posts
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    One, unless Spacey has admitted it, it's alleged, and there shouldn't be consequences for allegations.

Two, you speculate it's different for women, based on a few examples--what about Dustin Hoffman?
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Cthulhu (11-03-2017)

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,639x in 14,854 Posts
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    As you've probably heard, the popular program House of Cards was recently cancelled when one Anthony Rapp accused Kevin Spacey of sexually harassing him when he was just 14 years old. Good! There should be consequences! But I want to point out something funny about that real quick today: Let's imagine for a moment if Anthony Rapp had been female. Would the same consequences have resulted?

Many very powerful men have been brought down by accusations of sexual harassment, assault, and rape lately. But there is a gendered difference here. Typically, it takes dozens of women coming forward before the accusations begin to be taken seriously. Woody Allen and Roman Polanski still have careers after facing far more serious allegations than those leveled against Kevin Spacey. The latter, in fact, was not only accused, but actually convicted of child rape, and yet still has a career! Or take the case of Bill Cosby, for instance. It took 35 women coming forward before the media began to realize that the allegations being leveled against Mr. Cosby were credible. Doing the math on that indicates that each woman's word was valued at 2.8% that of Bill Cosby's. But Anthony Rapp's word was valued at 100% that of the man who apparently preyed on him. You see the difference? ONE accusation from ONE man and House of Cards is done, kaput, game over, no continues!

I'm just using these as examples. The principle applies far more broadly. This is my answer to those who respond to every single allegation of sexual harassment, assault, or rape case that they hear of wherein a woman was on the receiving end with "but what about men?! Men face this stuff too!" Yes, boys and men do face these things as well. Far more rarely than girls and women. You know why? Because they are a lot more likely to be believed than we are. Maybe if people trusted us as much as they do our male counterparts, these things would not be so pervasive in general. Maybe movements like #MeToo wouldn't be so necessary. Just thoughts!
    And my answer is still man or woman, deal with it within a reasonable time frame , ideally when evidence can be gathered and witness memories are fresh and people remember where they were on 11-3-10 or whatever date and time.
    If not at least deal with it within the stautute of limitations. If you don't do that I believe no civil remedy or "hush money" should be avalilable to you .
    If you wait longer than that we have no way except trial via public opinion to conclude what happened and what didn't. . I personally dismiss such claims based on the lack of ability to prove at this juncture and consider the " revaltions " meaningless decades after the fact. Remember we are typically talking about Hollywood or the entertainment industry. Attention $#@! heaven , so to speak.

tPF Moderator
    Overall activity: 65.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,614x in 25,159 Posts
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excuse me, IP, I am more likely to believe a woman that complains than a man -- I think there's a female privilege in that respect. You should know that I have, however, in 30 years of practicing law defended cases involving false allegations of sexual assault - on a civil side. Three of which I can think of off the top of my head. Blatant lying about being sexually assaulted. Two of which nothing happened and the other in which 7 years later she admitted that it was consensual - after the now-exonerated assaulter served 3 years in prison.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

Cthulhu (11-03-2017)

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    ONE accusation from ONE man and House of Cards is done, kaput, game over, no continues!
    It's 7 men now.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

DGUtley (11-03-2017),IMPress Polly (11-03-2017)

Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    Ethereal's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 41,580x in 26,042 Posts
    Mentioned
    1175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many very powerful men have been brought down by accusations of sexual harassment, assault, and rape lately. But there is a gendered difference here. Typically, it takes dozens of women coming forward before the accusations begin to be taken seriously. Woody Allen and Roman Polanski still have careers after facing far more serious allegations than those leveled against Kevin Spacey. The latter, in fact, was not only accused, but actually convicted of child rape, and yet still has a career! Or take the case of Bill Cosby, for instance. It took 35 women coming forward before the media began to realize that the allegations being leveled against Mr. Cosby were credible. Doing the math on that indicates that each woman's word was valued at 2.8% that of Bill Cosby's.
    And don't forget the multiple women who've accused Bill Clinton of raping or otherwise assaulting them.
    Power always thinks it has a great soul, and vast views, beyond the comprehension of the weak. And that it is doing God service when it is violating all His laws.
    --John Adams

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ethereal For This Useful Post:

Cthulhu (11-03-2017)

Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,323x in 10,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The number keeps rising now London Police are investigating child rape charges on Spacey, a british actor said he woke up to spacey performing a sex act on him
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 1,354
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,721x in 4,392 Posts
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris wrote:
    It's 7 men now.
    But it only took one. That's the point.

If these accusers were female, they'd still probably be about 20 or 30 short of being taken seriously.

DGUtley wrote:
    Excuse me, IP...
    You're excused.

I know exactly what the attitude of attorneys is toward these matters from first-hand experience. It's also easy to tell what your opinion of male innocence on these matters is by who you voted for. It's a very, very generous definition wherein someone can plainly, even proudly, admit to it and still somehow get your presumption of innocence.

Ethereal wrote:
    And don't forget the multiple women who've accused Bill Clinton of raping or otherwise assaulting them.
    I didn't, and have mentioned Mr. Clinton many times before in connection to these matters. But you know that.

I sought to keep this thread as non-partisan as possible was all. Hence why I didn't mention the more obvious case of Donald Trump either until just now.
    Last edited by IMPress Polly; 11-03-2017 at 01:57 PM.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    But it only took one. That's the point.

If these accusers were female, they'd still probably be about 20 or 30 short of being taken seriously.

You're excused.

I know exactly what the attitude of attorneys is toward these matters from first-hand experience. It's also easy to tell what your opinion of male innocence on these matters is by who you voted for. It's a very, very generous definition wherein someone can plainly, even proudly, admit to it and still somehow get your presumption of innocence.

I didn't, and have mentioned Mr. Clinton many times before in connection to these matters. But you know that.

I sought to keep this thread as non-partisan as possible was all. Hence why I didn't mention the more obvious case of Donald Trump either until just now.

With Weistein all it took was one and then others came out.

Sort of wishful thinking since you have no empirical basis for it.

+ Reply to Thread