Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,124x in 11,355 Posts
    Mentioned
    545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Government can be rules without rulers. There need not be a government over society.

With communism, however, as you scale it up the need for central planning increases. Marinaleda, a communist town in Spain, is run by the major who assigns work and you work or you take a hike. Scale that up more and you get your failed attempts at communism in Russian, China, Cuba.
    I certainly don't support or advocate for communist systems. They just don't work on a large scale. Neither does anarchy.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,507x in 55,036 Posts
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common Sense View Post
    I'm not trying to confront you with anything. I'm simply stating my opinion that an absence of government on any large scale results in chaos, violence and an ineffective economy.

Its just not a system that works on a large scale and there are historical examples of what happens when there is anarchy.
    By one example, the example so many toss at libertarians, by people who fail to understand libertarianism.

"Do we have a one-world government? Or do you want a larger scale?"

No, we do not have a one-world government. On a global scale we have anarchy, rules without rulers. So your contention that "an absence of government on any large scale results in chaos, violence and an ineffective economy."

You do know that modern government, which is what you are defending as a necessity, has only existed 1-2% of man's existence. How was man able to do what you claim impossible?
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I certainly don't support or advocate for communist systems. They just don't work on a large scale. Neither does anarchy.
    OK, where is the global government you insist is necessary? There is none. Globally we operate under anarchy. Your theory fails.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 2,009
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Common Sense's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, where is the global government you insist is necessary? There is none. Globally we operate under anarchy. Your theory fails.
    I didn't claim a global government is necessary. Your claim that there is global anarchy sort of proves my point. The result of that anarchy has been two major global conflicts with millions of casualties just within the last 100 years and a long history of literally thousands upon thousands of wars. As the world continues to come together with institutions like the world court and the UN, we have seen decreases in conflicts.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I didn't claim a global government is necessary. Your claim that there is global anarchy sort of proves my point. The result of that anarchy has been two major global conflicts with millions of casualties just within the last 100 years and a long history of literally thousands upon thousands of wars. As the world continues to come together with institutions like the world court and the UN, we have seen decreases in conflicts.
    No, you claimed a government is necessary and yet, counter to your claim, globally, there is none. Your hypothesis has been falsified.

What my point proves is that modern nation-states cannot keep from mayhem, violence, and chaos. We have not seen a decrease in conflicts. The purpose of modern nation-states is not peace but war.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, you claimed a government is necessary and yet, counter to your claim, globally, there is none. Your hypothesis has been falsified.

What my point proves is that modern nation-states cannot keep from mayhem, violence, and chaos. We have not seen a decrease in conflicts. The purpose of modern nation-states is not peace but war.
    It hasn't been falsified at all. It's been proven by history and your example of global anarchy and the resulting violence and conflict.

Yes, global conflicts and warefare are indeed decreasing and we are living in a time of unprecedented peace. Prior to global organizations and efforts to mitigate conflicts, war was far more common than it is now. War raged through Europe, Asia and Africa for hundreds of years.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...e-of-violence/

https://www.pri.org/stories/2014-10-...res-data-prove

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    It hasn't been falsified at all. It's been proven by history and your example of global anarchy and the resulting violence and conflict.

Yes, global conflicts and warefare are indeed decreasing and we are living in a time of unprecedented peace. Prior to global organizations and efforts to mitigate conflicts, war was far more common than it is now. War raged through Europe, Asia and Africa for hundreds of years.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...e-of-violence/

https://www.pri.org/stories/2014-10-...res-data-prove
    Your claim was that governments are necessary. We do not have a global govertment. Therefore your claim is falsified.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your claim was that governments are necessary. We do not have a global govertment. Therefore your claim is falsified.
    Ok Chris.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Ok Chris.
    Concede with some dignity at least.

What I find interesting here is this is a repeat of the thread asking is atheism rational. There, rather than address the question, and demonstrate its rationality, you all attack theism as if showing it irrational shows atheism rational. Here instead of arguing for communism you take stabs at free markets, libertarianism and anarchism as if showing them wrong shows communism right. There is was unicorns, here it's Somalia.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Concede with some dignity at least.

What I find interesting here is this is a repeat of the thread asking is atheism rational. There, rather than address the question, and demonstrate its rationality, you all attack theism as if showing it irrational shows atheism rational. Here instead of arguing for communism you take stabs at free markets, libertarianism and anarchism as if showing them wrong shows communism right. There is was unicorns, here it's Somalia.
    Lol...enjoy your fantasies.

I didn't take a stab at free markets, I criticized the delusion that anarchy wouldn't devolve into chaos. Nor did I support or claim communism is right. Try reading what I write rather than tilting at windmills. You are allowing your dislike of me to retard your reasoning skills once again.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Common Sense For This Useful Post:

Safety (11-10-2017)

+ Reply to Thread