Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,511x in 14,775 Posts
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kacper View Post
    Plenty of people get prosecuted and the rationale is that it promotes feral cats, diseases and cat hoarding that represent public safety issues. Needless to say that this is a law brought to you by the local animal shelter that makes money selling cat carcasses to research supply companies. Anyway, I know when the dog catcher works so I just make sure I feed them before they come on duty or after they go off and my legion of striped minions aren't hanging about except during feeding time. Everybody in the neighborhood does it mostly because everybody knows that you call the dog catcher, they will be dead on arrival at the shelter.

Wow that sucks. Even the animal shelter sells out! Our ferral cat neighbors look too good to not be getting fed somewhere in addition to insects, mice , birds and chipmonks they can find . That's actually why we don't feed them. If they looked half starved we would feed them.
    But one fall everybody in town had a field mouse infestation and even a few critters that looked like small voles to me. The wife is the trapper and I am the disposal man as she won't touch the trap with the mouse in it. This is a women who runs codes in a hospital at times! Go figure. Anyway that year I would take the carcesses to the bushes out front and they would usually be gone the next day.
    I referred to it as "my sacrifice to the cat God's" LOL

2. The Following User Says Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

Kacper (11-11-2017)

Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 333
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Kacper's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,017x in 747 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    Wow that sucks. Even the animal shelter sells out! Our ferral cat neighbors look too good to not be getting fed somewhere in addition to insects, mice , birds and chipmonks they can find . That's actually why we don't feed them. If they looked half starved we would feed them.
    But one fall everybody in town had a field mouse infestation and even a few critters that looked like small voles to me. The wife is the trapper and I am the disposal man as she won't touch the trap with the mouse in it. This is a women who runs codes in a hospital at times! Go figure. Anyway that year I would take the carcesses to the bushes out front and they would usually be gone the next day.
    I referred to it as "my sacrifice to the cat God's" LOL
    My food is more supplemental at this point. I feed the exact same amount every day. If the population goes up, they will have less food per cat and will have to fair on their own. I don't change the quantity if more cats show up. It actually seems to have helped the ferals that more or less camp out on my lands keep their population at an even dozen over the last year and a half or so. I also feed them out in the field near the woodline so they don't develop the habit of sitting at my door looking for food. They are mostly Toms. I have appointments to get the 3 females who come and go that are friendly enough to handle fixed but they are spread out because my vet is a PITA to schedule fixins with because she is so cheap--$65/cat. First appointment which I made weeks ago is the week of Christmas if that gives you an idea of how hard it is to get in for that with her.

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 738
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My food is more supplemental at this point. I feed the exact same amount every day. If the population goes up, they will have less food per cat and will have to fair on their own. I don't change the quantity if more cats show up. It actually seems to have helped the ferals that more or less camp out on my lands keep their population at an even dozen over the last year and a half or so. I also feed them out in the field near the woodline so they don't develop the habit of sitting at my door looking for food. They are mostly Toms. I have appointments to get the 3 females who come and go that are friendly enough to handle fixed but they are spread out because my vet is a PITA to schedule fixins with because she is so cheap--$65/cat. First appointment which I made weeks ago is the week of Christmas if that gives you an idea of how hard it is to get in for that with her.

Here I think they stick in town for food and to avoid coydogs and coyotes. We have virtually no ferral cat population away from the center of town

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    Here I think they stick in town for food and to avoid coydogs and coyotes. We have virtually no ferral cat population away from the center of town
    I am in town, but yeah. We have a fairly robust coyote problem in our area too even on the fringes of the city. I can hear them pretty close by when the train is whistling and grinding up the grade into town at night. The people a couple streets over from report seeing them from time to time on the wooded side of their lands which are opposite me so fortunately they haven't crossed over into the lighted areas yet.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am in town, but yeah. We have a fairly robust coyote problem in our area too even on the fringes of the city. I can hear them pretty close by when the train is whistling and grinding up the grade into town at night. The people a couple streets over from report seeing them from time to time on the wooded side of their lands which are opposite me so fortunately they haven't crossed over into the lighted areas yet.
    We have lost some cats and small dogs to them in town , but rarely. After we had a major weather event called a microburst back in 95 foxes even moved into town. Now they are much rarer in town. I think all the downed trees upset the ecology and the coyotes took over the territory of the foxes forcing them into town. They were even common on our golf course for a few years.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

Kacper (11-11-2017)

Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,139
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cthulhu's Avatar Senior Member
    The spaces between cognitive thought and passive nightmares
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 8,079x in 5,392 Posts
    Mentioned
    577 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My city makes it a crime to feed feral animals period. When they first enacted it, they upset a lot of people because feeding birds was technically a crime, so they went back and changed it some. Of course, they really pile on if they catch you. They charge you with that, with the cats you are feeding not having vaccinations, and you letting an unvaccinated animal run free because they allege that it is under your dominion and control by you feeding it so you will be convicted either way.
    How is that even possible?

Where is the standing for a tort in such a case? Where is the corpus delicti?

Sent from my evil cell phone.
    "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."

Ephesians 6:12

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post

It is considered creating a public nuisance.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post

Municipalities can sometimes make the feds look non - controlling. Cut your grass at this height, park your car on this portion of your own land, you can't possess and have in your yard two vechiles you're trying to get running, don't feed the cats, you can't have a garden in your own damned yard, your must pay city water and sewer even if you don't hook up to it and oh yeah: Shovel the sidewalk in front of your house that you don't own. Even if you work half an hour away make sure it's shoveled. The list goes on. I've been waiting for someone to take some of this crap up the court chain , but those that need to typically lack the funds.
    Welcome to control central, the American town.

Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 1,056
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    stjames1_53's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,262x in 20,293 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Also, why ignore all the nominally "lawful" people throughout history who were complete monsters? Virtually every act of mass evil was perfectly legal according to the laws of the day. "The law" was firmly on the side of the Nazis, for example.
    amen. There is just law, then there is Just Law....................
    For waltky: http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" B. Franklin
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

+ Reply to Thread