User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Law grapples with case of autistic man who asks women if he can touch belly buttons

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 2,023
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,449x in 11,739 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kacper View Post
    It should concern you. A lot of mentally ill people are crazy like a fox.
    But most are no threat to society. Important to note that; a majority of criminals may have some degree of mental illness or personality disorder, but most people with mental illness are not going to commit crimes.

Ideally, there would be more residential treatment programs and more affordable residential treatment programs but I have no clue where that funding could come from.

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,820
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    The Xl's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 19,792x in 11,974 Posts
    Mentioned
    433 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't really see how one can prosecute and imprison someone with this tier of autism. He shouldn't be walking around in society though, at least not by himself.

Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 333
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Kacper's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,017x in 747 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
    But most are no threat to society. Important to note that; a majority of criminals may have some degree of mental illness or personality disorder, but most people with mental illness are not going to commit crimes.

Ideally, there would be more residential treatment programs and more affordable residential treatment programs but I have no clue where that funding could come from.
    Some studies indicate that there are more than 10 times the number of people with serious mental illness behind bars than in treatment, so you are talking about around 300K more in-patient psychiatric beds. As far as threat to society, that may depend on how you define threat. If an aggressive panhandler comes up and you feel scared, is that a threat to society in your mind? One of the more nebular issue deals with medication. Mentally ill people feel good so they stop taking it, and they end up in a worse place before they started, or they decide that they would rather spend their disability check on X instead of medication, and end up in cycles of self-medicating with street drugs when they run out of money before they run out of month. I have encountered some ,mentally ill criminals who had such profound senses of entitlement because they had the MI as an excuse that they did some pretty serious crimes thinking they could get away with a slap on the wrist. Anyway, don't always think that "well most likely they are not a danger" or anything like that because you just never know.

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 2,875
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,930x in 8,808 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    I have an autistic nephew and my cousin has a severely autistic son. Neither appear to be dangerous though my cousin's boy fixated on my youngest for a long while. The sexual battery conviction concerns me. We are definitely lagging in mental health treatment. Wouldn't it be nice if we didn't have to pay all that interest on the debt and we could use it or part of it on treatment?
    There is no cure for autism any more than there is a cure for not having a leg. There are only coping strategies and early training. Autistics who did not receive early training are far more at risk for ending up in the criminal justice system. It's not where they belong, but society doesn't really know what to do with them. Adult autistics may or may not benefit from focused therapy unless they have a personal goal. The autism spectrum is really pretty wide and may be combined with learning disabilities. There is just no one size fits all solution. The individual in the OP is likely not someone who can really be helped at this point. He will never understand why he can't touch belly buttons nor is he intelligent enough to simply put it on a list of mustn't do's in order to be free to do other things. We need structured live/work environments for such people, that are not prisons, but well supervised.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread