Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 22,806x in 15,377 Posts
    Mentioned
    549 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Jim View Post
    If I live long enough I want to try a deep fried Turkey!
    They are great. Meat and flavor pretty much the same, just crispy skin like chicken. (did i just say that).
    It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right.

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,246x in 12,372 Posts
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    That ends up being a lot of turkey for two people. Perhaps if you have some relatives who are interested, provide the turkey, oil and means of deep frying (usually a rather large pot and heat source outdoors) and let the young ones do the heavy lifting. Personally, I prefer a smoked turkey and the leftovers are amazing.
    Sometime before Thanksgiving, I will share my wife's recipe (inherited from her mother) for turkey casserole. It is simple to make and so good that you will never want to do anything else with the leftovers. As for smoked turkey, the wife always buys a big chunk of that and we will make smoked turkey pate; it's just very finely ground smoked turkey, mayo and garlic salt, but the trick is getting the proportions exactly right.

When my sister, mother and grandfather were the last surviving relatives in their small town in Indiana, they made a group decision that they were tired of traditional Holiday meals and they were going to start a new tradition within the family; they would go out for pizza for Thanksgiving and Chinese food for Christmas. Whatever works.

One of my personal all-time best Thanksgivings was when I was living alone with my two cats, Herschell and E.T., in an L.A. suburb called Bellflower. On Thanksgiving Day I went out driving, looking for a diner where I could have a meal and maybe see a friendly face, and I passed a KFC. Decided to just drive through there and bring home a box of chicken, which I did. The furniture in my apartment consisted of a mattress on the floor and one chair with the t.v. on it, so I spread newspapers on the floor and the cats and I shared that chicken and then took a nap together.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,723
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    gamewell45's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,568x in 4,623 Posts
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anything but my mother-in-laws meatloaf.
    God Bless America, God Bless our Military and God Bless the Police who defended the country against the insurgents on January 6, 2021

Think 3rd party for 2024 folks. Clean up America.

Once I tell you that we agree to disagree there will be no more discussion between us in the thread so please don't waste your time continuing to argue your points because I will not respond.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to gamewell45 For This Useful Post:

hanger4 (11-12-2017)

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 2,316
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,043x in 8,892 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    Sometime before Thanksgiving, I will share my wife's recipe (inherited from her mother) for turkey casserole. It is simple to make and so good that you will never want to do anything else with the leftovers. As for smoked turkey, the wife always buys a big chunk of that and we will make smoked turkey pate; it's just very finely ground smoked turkey, mayo and garlic salt, but the trick is getting the proportions exactly right.

When my sister, mother and grandfather were the last surviving relatives in their small town in Indiana, they made a group decision that they were tired of traditional Holiday meals and they were going to start a new tradition within the family; they would go out for pizza for Thanksgiving and Chinese food for Christmas. Whatever works.

One of my personal all-time best Thanksgivings was when I was living alone with my two cats, Herschell and E.T., in an L.A. suburb called Bellflower. On Thanksgiving Day I went out driving, looking for a diner where I could have a meal and maybe see a friendly face, and I passed a KFC. Decided to just drive through there and bring home a box of chicken, which I did. The furniture in my apartment consisted of a mattress on the floor and one chair with the t.v. on it, so I spread newspapers on the floor and the cats and I shared that chicken and then took a nap together.
    One Christmas my oven died just in time to cook the turkey. So the only alternative was to put it on the bbq, which happens to have one of those little boxes for wood chips. We decided to smoke the turkey. It was fantastic - a little well done on the bottom, but really tasty. The leftovers made great sandwiches and the carcass made an amazing smoked turkey soup.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (11-12-2017)

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,246x in 12,372 Posts
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    One Christmas my oven died just in time to cook the turkey. So the only alternative was to put it on the bbq, which happens to have one of those little boxes for wood chips. We decided to smoke the turkey. It was fantastic - a little well done on the bottom, but really tasty. The leftovers made great sandwiches and the carcass made an amazing smoked turkey soup.
    We borrowed someone's smoker once and tried to smoke a turkey. I don't know what we did wrong, but it must have been something serious, because the turkey sort of liquefied in a very ugly and dramatic fashion. Never tried that again.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 496
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsSocial
    waltky's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,140x in 1,616 Posts
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AZ Jim wrote: Ahhhh Waltky our forum archive raider...Good evening.

Granny says, "Hidy".

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 2,316
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,043x in 8,892 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    We borrowed someone's smoker once and tried to smoke a turkey. I don't know what we did wrong, but it must have been something serious, because the turkey sort of liquefied in a very ugly and dramatic fashion. Never tried that again.
    Yuck. Perhaps you had it in there too long. Just a thought though, was it a "butterball" and was it frozen?

My turkey was not heavily smoked and it really doesn't take much to impart a smokey flavor to poultry, so it's actually easy to over smoke them. People do put them in dedicated smokers, but it takes practice using those things.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 72
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsSocial
    jigglepete's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,775x in 2,258 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My brother in law has got the smoked turkey down to a science, he has soaked wood chips (he tries different woods each season) and as the turkey roasts on the bbq, he slowly feeds the moist chips in, I think he keeps the fire not directly underneath the bird but to the sides...I'll pay more attention this year and see if I can share some of his tips. What I am really looking forward to are the desserts, my sister's specialty, although I will have to fight off my nieces and nephew if I want to get any

Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 72
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsSocial
    jigglepete's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,775x in 2,258 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Jim View Post
    We'll get invitations (from our neighbors) and there are many fine eating spots serving thanksgiving dinners but my wife is so crippled up with Arthritis she has a very hard time getting around even just here in our home.
    CBD's man, CBD's! try this link https://apothecanna.com/products/ext...elieving-spray this is a good place to start, but they have many, many products...I put some of the extra strength spray on a friend's arthritic hand, five minutes later he was asking where to get some!!

Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 2,069
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    AZ Jim's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,319x in 2,953 Posts
    Mentioned
    344 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jigglepete View Post
    My brother in law has got the smoked turkey down to a science, he has soaked wood chips (he tries different woods each season) and as the turkey roasts on the bbq, he slowly feeds the moist chips in, I think he keeps the fire not directly underneath the bird but to the sides...I'll pay more attention this year and see if I can share some of his tips. What I am really looking forward to are the desserts, my sister's specialty, although I will have to fight off my nieces and nephew if I want to get any
    Pay attention Pete and tell us how he smokes those birds! Who knows I may be alive next season and be able to try one.
    Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I digress....

+ Reply to Thread