Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,643x in 4,358 Posts
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go See Lady Bird Now!

I say without equivocation that Lady Bird is the best movie I've seen all year! It's not just my opinion that this is an outstanding picture though. According to leading review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, Lady Bird has an approval rating of 100% among its 115 reviewers, while rival review aggregator Metacritic has assigned the film a weighted average score of 94% based on the opinions of 40 critics. In other words, it seriously has the potential to win Best Picture. Having just seen it this weekend, I say that's for good reason!

Lady Bird is an indie comedy-drama set in the early 2000s. It follows the life of a high school senior living in Sacramento, California over the course of a year, as she navigates a difficult relationship with her mom. There's a rare level of authenticity to the way this film's characters are portrayed that I found to be highly refreshing! It presents the challenges of simply being that age (a subject near and dear to my heart, as I think many of you know) in a new light that everyone who has seen it has been able to appreciate.

You better see it soon though! This isn't a major corporate production, so it's unlikely to be at your local theater (if it's even shown there at all) for very long. That's why I insist you go see it right now, lest you have to wait until its video release! Here's a trailer:

Last edited by IMPress Polly; 11-13-2017 at 08:01 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IMPress Polly For This Useful Post:

Green Arrow (11-13-2017),midcan5 (11-13-2017)

Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 798
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    midcan5's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,497x in 1,841 Posts
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking this was about Lady Bird Johnson which reminded me of Civil Rights and the South. Not much has changed and yet lots has. The movie reminds me of a show my wife enjoys, Mom. A sorta dysfunctional but loving family, maybe we all err in thinking life makes sense or has order but these are deep places to enter.

off topic

This was prompted after watching a few minutes of LBJ's daughters on cspan on the 4th, How America has changed and yet....

August 06, 1965

We are driving through Charleston and they are yelling nig_ger lover and some are cheering or just gawking and mom looks anxious but defiant while the driver risks his life and tries to keep eyes on road and roofs and the truck in front of us is there only in case there is a bomb daddy called me into his den Luci Baines he always used those words when there was trouble he'd offer advice I was youngest a bit wily he told me things to keep me from trouble for he knew youth thinks of itself he told how people needed help lots of people so Luci Baines I want you always whomever you meet to ask three people three things that concern them the train ride across the south mommy said we cannot neglect the south the people they risked everything and along the train some shouted things we betrayed them daddy says some will lose their livelihood because they voted and mommy said but we can't forget the south even when we feared daddy took me with him that August day when they signed it and the people in the south shouted and all across the country as he ran I asked three people three things and he always wanted to know for on that August day he said this will change things for lots of people and in two thousand eight my daddy's....
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to midcan5 For This Useful Post:

IMPress Polly (11-13-2017),Safety (11-13-2017)

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 879
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,087x in 12,282 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I will have to see that. The trailer made me think very much of Juno, which is one of my all-time favorite movies. Laurie Metcalf is a very good actress.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

IMPress Polly (11-13-2017)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,033x in 24,872 Posts
    Mentioned
    886 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will have to see it.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

IMPress Polly (11-13-2017)

Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 333
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Kacper's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,017x in 747 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems to be lacking heroes in capes, exploding space ships, or military battle scenes. Not sure it is up my alleyway

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kacper For This Useful Post:

DGUtley (11-13-2017)

+ Reply to Thread