Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,599x in 3,725 Posts
    Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Arrow View Post
    Did they happen to explain why that would be the case in their letter?
    I don't know. What I do I know is it would explode the insurance markets by making insurance something that only sick people buy.

I shouldn't have to explain that to you.

Eventually everyone will be sick. Our invulnerable youth need to be participating all along the road or there will be no affordable insurance when they do need it.
    Being Bethere is better than stalking Bethere.
    "Improvise. Adapt. Overcome."

Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 1,383
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdrive50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupVeteran
    Green Arrow's Avatar Overlord
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 22,501x in 14,756 Posts
    Mentioned
    1604 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bethere View Post
    You aren't forced.

Just pay the tax. Lots of stuff is taxed.
    That’s a little bit like saying I’m not forced to give my money to a burglar with a gun to my head. After all, I could choose the bullet. Lots of people get shot.
    "We were taught under the old ethic that man's business on this earth was to look out for himself. That was the ethic of the jungle; the ethic of the wild beast. Take care of yourself, no matter what may become of your fellow man. Yes, I am my brother's keeper. I am under a moral obligation to him that is inspired, not by any maudlin sentimentality, but by the higher duty I owe to myself."
    - Eugene V. Debs (1855-1926), American labor leader

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Green Arrow For This Useful Post:

Common (11-14-2017)

Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 87
    Overall activity: 62.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second Class50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Bethere's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,599x in 3,725 Posts
    Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That’s a little bit like saying I’m not forced to give my money to a burglar with a gun to my head. After all, I could choose the bullet. Lots of people get shot.
    It's nothing like that, but I thank you for not attacking me for having the audacity to disagree.
    Being Bethere is better than stalking Bethere.
    "Improvise. Adapt. Overcome."

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 93.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Common's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,456x in 13,903 Posts
    Mentioned
    778 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You aren't forced.

Just pay the tax. Lots of stuff is taxed.
    Sure and lots of stuff that shouldnt be taxed is, all my life there was no obamacare and all my life everyone had healthcare. Whether it was medicare or medicaid, or walking into any hospital who by law couldnt turn you away.

Only the left would profess that if you dont want to "BUY" something you should be taxed instead to make you pay for it.
    "The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it"

George Orwell

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 917
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    jimmyz's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,157x in 2,238 Posts
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Repealing the individual mandate does not cause anyone to lose their insurance. It does, however, help some of the poor people forced to either buy insurance they can’t afford or take a huge tax penalty they can’t afford. The individual mandate was always a poorly conceived part of the ACA and absolutely should be removed.
    I meant that they would not buy it if the gun was removed from their head by the IRS.
    " I'm old-fashioned. I like two sexes! And another thing, all of a sudden I don't like being married to what is known as a 'new woman'. I want a wife, not a competitor. Competitor! Competitor!" - Spencer Tracy in 'Adam's Rib' (1949)

Achievements:
    SocialOverdrive50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupVeteran
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1604 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't know. What I do I know is it would explode the insurance markets by making insurance something that only sick people buy.
    Sure. That's the problem with bad legislation, it inevitably blows up in your face.
    I shouldn't have to explain that to you.
    Now, now, Bethere, I've been very respectful to you in this discussion thus far. I'd appreciate it if you'd reciprocate and refrain from the snide remarks as I have.
    Eventually everyone will be sick. Our invulnerable youth need to be participating all along the road or there will be no affordable insurance when they do need it.
    I agree. The problem is the ACA as written is the absolute wrong way to go about it. It ends up crippling the finances of the poor who can't afford insurance. If we had gone with single-payer to begin with, instead of many Democratic leaders standing in the way and forcing through the ACA instead, we wouldn't have this issue. Everyone would have affordable insurance and wouldn't have finance-crippling tax penalties.
    "We were taught under the old ethic that man's business on this earth was to look out for himself. That was the ethic of the jungle; the ethic of the wild beast. Take care of yourself, no matter what may become of your fellow man. Yes, I am my brother's keeper. I am under a moral obligation to him that is inspired, not by any maudlin sentimentality, but by the higher duty I owe to myself."

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1604 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's nothing like that, but I thank you for not attacking me for having the audacity to disagree.
    It's exactly like that in logic, though I'll admit it's an extreme example. It does prove the point, however. If my choice is to buy insurance I can't afford or pay a tax penalty I can't afford, I don't have any real choices in that scenario. I'm screwed either way. Likewise, if a burglar holds a gun to my head and demands I give him my money, either I lose all my money or I die. Where's the choice? Answer: There isn't one.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1604 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyz View Post
    I meant that they would not buy it if the gun was removed from their head by the IRS.
    Probably not, unless it was affordable. The trouble is it isn't affordable. Remove the gun and the marketplace will probably explode. It would have done that eventually anyway, however, as our health care costs and premiums have been rising almost uninterrupted since 1960. All the ACA really did was slightly slow the rate of growth, but it didn't interrupt the rate of growth. Costs and premiums continue to rise and the more they rise, the closer we get to implosion.

+ Reply to Thread