User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What should the punishment be?

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 1,850
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,450x in 11,739 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

What should the punishment be?

As a therapist would later confirm, Lucy's seemingly random voice loss was actually a mark of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Although we tend to associate the condition with battle-scarred soldiers, studies show rape survivors have more severe PTSD, and a harder time overcoming it, than combat veterans. While between 10 to 20 percent of war vets develop the disorder, about 70 percent of sexual assault victims experience moderate to severe distress, a larger percentage than for any other violent crime.

PTSD typically takes the form of nightmares, flashbacks, and feelings of guilt and shame that can surface right away or years after a trauma. But it can also manifest in physical ways, like chronic pain, intestinal problems, muscle cramps, or, as in Lucy's case, a paralyzed vocal cord. For 94 percent of survivors, symptoms last at least two weeks; for a full half of them, they persist for years, even decades—sometimes long after the victim thinks she has laid the ghosts to rest. Consider the women, some now in their sixties, still grappling with the effects of decades-old alleged assaults by comedian Bill Cosby. German researchers found a third of women raped during World War II had PTSD symptoms nearly 70 years later.

Any trauma can lead to PTSD, but sexual assault is a particularly potent cause. Although rape is, at its core, about power, sex is analogous with pleasure and connection. Violating that intimacy can shatter a victim's trust in all relationships, fracturing the bonds with family and friends that are critical for healing. And since 75 percent of victims are attacked by someone they know, every person they meet and every situation they're in can feel dangerous, making sexual assault difficult to cope with, says Ananda Amstadter, Ph.D., an associate professor of psychiatry and psychology at Virginia Commonwealth University.
    Life after rape: the sexual assault issue no one's talking about - Women's Health

First, I am not too keen on comparing PTSD in veterans to PTSD in survivors, but I found it interesting that sexual assault is more likely to cause PTSD... the VA may be a total mess, but it does, in theory, have the funding to help Veterans (even if it needs a complete overhaul); whereas, sexual assault and domestic abuse centers are being defunded in a lot of places and there is not some version of the VA for survivors to seek help. So, psychologically, functionally, financially, sexual assault survivors may experience decades of issues related to their assault. The survivors from WWII are an interesting example, although you would have to adjust to consider the stigma associated with getting help for mental illness that would have been worse in the past.

So, the person who assaults or abuses another person may not take their victim's life in the physical sense, but decades of suffering and mental health problems and potential substance abuse problems and problems with forming relationships, and on, and on... what is a fair punishment? How many months or years of prison?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Adelaide For This Useful Post:

Green Arrow (11-15-2017)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,570x in 36,509 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Don't judges have some flexibility in that regard?
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

tPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    Don't judges have some flexibility in that regard?
    There are sentencing guidelines which are fairly flexible. Remember the Stanford swimmer that got 3 months? Numerous factors count, including previous criminal history, evaluations, additional charges, so on.

It is not that uncommon to get a light sentence, especially with date rape (which is the most common). People seem to think of that as less traumatizing than someone jumping out of the bushes, but as the article says it might actually be worse long-term because of how it can impact relationships.

Few people seem to think about the long-term consequences. That's mostly what my question is about. If a sexual assault survivor deals with PTSD and other issues for decades of their life, what is the proper punishment? They may not have lost their life, but there are major problems that will follow a survivor.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Adelaide For This Useful Post:

Green Arrow (11-15-2017),Mister D (11-15-2017)

Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 137
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,857x in 10,150 Posts
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Life with no parole. No second chance for this scum.

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 2,313
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,044x in 8,893 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that the specific circumstances of the rape tend to dictate the punishment. Someone who is raped under the influence of a great deal of alcohol or drugs may have little memory of the event. The person who was also beaten at the same time as being violated may be more traumatized than someone trying to say no after things started going too far. However, every person's psychology is different and lasting psychological trauma is not a one size fits all proposition. Some people may have pre-existing psychological issues that predisposes them to a more negative outcome than others. Those pre-existing issues should not weigh in the perpetrator's favor.

Objectively, in terms of the perpetrator, I would think that someone who takes advantage of or even causes a person to be incapable of resisting through drugs or alcohol is pretty heinous. However, the victim may not have the same sense of trauma as someone who was totally aware during the violation. Is an equally drunk or drugged out guy who messes with a drunk or drugged girl at a party as bad as the former? I don't think so, but it's still not a get out of jail free card. I suspect all of these things are considered in the sentencing including the ages of the perpetrator and victim. What I think should be added to any sentence is that if there is lasting psychological damage, that the perpetrator should also be responsible for paying for the psychological therapy for as long as it is necessary unless that therapy is otherwise insured. It goes without saying that the perpetrator should also undergo some kind of psychological assessment to determine whether they are at risk to re-offend and if so, receive treatment.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 333
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Kacper's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,017x in 747 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
    Life after rape: the sexual assault issue no one's talking about - Women's Health

First, I am not too keen on comparing PTSD in veterans to PTSD in survivors, but I found it interesting that sexual assault is more likely to cause PTSD... the VA may be a total mess, but it does, in theory, have the funding to help Veterans (even if it needs a complete overhaul); whereas, sexual assault and domestic abuse centers are being defunded in a lot of places and there is not some version of the VA for survivors to seek help. So, psychologically, functionally, financially, sexual assault survivors may experience decades of issues related to their assault. The survivors from WWII are an interesting example, although you would have to adjust to consider the stigma associated with getting help for mental illness that would have been worse in the past.

So, the person who assaults or abuses another person may not take their victim's life in the physical sense, but decades of suffering and mental health problems and potential substance abuse problems and problems with forming relationships, and on, and on... what is a fair punishment? How many months or years of prison?
    Punishing the perpetrator even more harshly does nothing to address the issue of PTSD in rape victims. That said, anecdotally, at least in our area, rapists tend to get punished very harshly by judges and juries. If a rapist walks away with less than 20 years to serve, they are lucky. You could kill somebody and get less time than if you raped them.

tPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kacper View Post
    Punishing the perpetrator even more harshly does nothing to address the issue of PTSD in rape victims. That said, anecdotally, at least in our area, rapists tend to get punished very harshly by judges and juries. If a rapist walks away with less than 20 years to serve, they are lucky. You could kill somebody and get less time than if you raped them.
    Right - my point is, with the damage done including PTSD, does it change how people think of the crime? No one was murdered, but a person could be suffering for decades or their entire lives over the assault or abuse. I do not think people think of it in that context; there is definitely an emotional reaction to the type of crime, but I would question whether many think of the actual consequences beyond the initial crime.

Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 333
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Kacper's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,017x in 747 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
    Right - my point is, with the damage done including PTSD, does it change how people think of the crime? No one was murdered, but a person could be suffering for decades or their entire lives over the assault or abuse. I do not think people think of it in that context; there is definitely an emotional reaction to the type of crime, but I would question whether many think of the actual consequences beyond the initial crime.
    I am not sure that is the rule. Part of it of course is that a lot of women won't tell people they have been raped because they feel tainted or like they will be blamed somehow. I sit on the Board of Directors of a group of shelters, a couple of which are exclusively for victims of sexual assault/rape, for a non-profit founded by a rape victim. She was raped almost 40 years ago and it took a long time before she would tell people because the police in NYC treated her like garbage when she reported it after it happened. She was literally beaten and raped on the street she was walking down.

+ Reply to Thread