User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: I am not employed by the store.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,421x in 54,991 Posts
    Mentioned
    2013 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I like them and I use them. I just have to make sure I don't daydream and make a mistake. If a checker makes a mistake and no one catches it then you get a break or you get screwed. If you are having one of those days where you aren't sharp and make a mistake at the self check lane they might think you are shoplifting. I think the next step will be eliminating the checkout lane altogether. Bag as you shop. Amazon stores are experimenting with this already.
    Eliminating checkout with bag as you shop would be great.

Ultimately, though, I think we'll end up going online for shopping with either pickup or even delivery. I help my parents use Walmart Grocery where they order online and schedule pick up and I just park and the order is brought to my truck.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 559
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Don's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,934x in 2,482 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Eliminating checkout with bag as you shop would be great.

Ultimately, though, I think we'll end up going online for shopping with either pickup or even delivery. I help my parents use Walmart Grocery where they order online and schedule pick up and I just park and the order is brought to my truck.
    That's the direction it will go. Stores like Walmart will not be entered. They will just be warehouses. No need to have precious shelf space limiting products that don't sell as well as others. More choices will again be available. You'll either order and then pickup or it will be delivered to your home. The changes will probably create many new jobs. Even if all the "picking and packing" is done by robots people will still be needed. I still say that if automation eliminated every job on the planet that humans do now its humans who will buy the products or services so we will hardly be left out of the loop.

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2013 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    That's the direction it will go. Stores like Walmart will not be entered. They will just be warehouses. No need to have precious shelf space limiting products that don't sell as well as others. More choices will again be available. You'll either order and then pickup or it will be delivered to your home. The changes will probably create many new jobs. Even if all the "picking and packing" is done by robots people will still be needed. I still say that if automation eliminated every job on the planet that humans do now its humans who will buy the products or services so we will hardly be left out of the loop.
    Agree. And history shows that automation does replace but displaces humans.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 185
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Doublejack's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,273x in 864 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I first was pissed that I was "doing their job for them" but soon realized I'm much better at it than they are.

I love it now as I can get checked out in about 1/4 of the time.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Doublejack For This Useful Post:

Don (11-19-2017)

Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,275
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Ravens Fan's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 8,293x in 4,922 Posts
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I hope not. I do a ton of research before I buy anything other than clothes, but I still like to be able to go into a store and see/have the product when I am ready to buy. Plus, I hate waiting for something top be shipped to me, when I decide I am going to buy something, I want to go get it now.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2013 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravens Fan View Post
    I hope not. I do a ton of research before I buy anything other than clothes, but I still like to be able to go into a store and see/have the product when I am ready to buy. Plus, I hate waiting for something top be shipped to me, when I decide I am going to buy something, I want to go get it now.
    I felt that way for a long time, preferring hands on, but now do half my shopping online. Amazon Prime is two-day free shipping usually.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Ravens Fan (11-19-2017)

Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 411
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Newpublius's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,123x in 2,793 Posts
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crepitus View Post
    "Please wait for attendant" is worse than the blue screen of death.
    I get that infrequently, when I do, I walk right out of the store.

Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 411
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Newpublius's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,123x in 2,793 Posts
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I felt that way for a long time, preferring hands on, but now do half my shopping online. Amazon Prime is two-day free shipping usually.
    Although if you can't find it cheaper than Amazon you're really not shopping. Next time you buy something, google the term and hit pahe 5 of the results and see what you find (you might be pleasantly surprised)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2013 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Newpublius View Post
    Although if you can't find it cheaper than Amazon you're really not shopping. Next time you buy something, google the term and hit pahe 5 of the results and see what you find (you might be pleasantly surprised)
    I've heard that but am lazy. Amazon does pretty well at giving you a range of prices. Books, for example, you can get used in various condition very cheaply.

Walmart has a program where after paying you scan your receipt. It then runs what you paid against prices at local stores. If it finds an item cheaper elsewhere, it refunds you the difference. Not all items are checked but many are. In about a year I've save about $75. Of course it benefits them in that they then lower their prices to match competitors.

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 1,156
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Crepitus's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,440x in 9,812 Posts
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, the bigger picture is the store that implements self-checkout can then lower prices to compete with other stores.

If self-checkout is too much work, just go on line, order, and pick up curbside.
    It all ties into the artificially depressed wages we are dealing with at the moment. Profit is all to the corporate bigwigs. They kept hiring lower and lower wage workers to increase their profits. This is the logical extension of that. First bank tellers via ATM. Then store clerks via self checkout lines. Now fast food employees via self order kiosks.

I fully expect soon to show up at a restaurant and be handed a spatula and a skillet along with my check.
    People who think a movie about plastic dolls is trying to turn their kids gay or trans are now officially known as

Barbie Q’s

+ Reply to Thread