Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,721x in 4,392 Posts
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You Hate This Post Because You Hate Yourself

Though men are welcome to offer their input (which I'm sure will be broadly supportive ), I'm primarily addressing our female membership here in this rant.

With the accusations against Republican Senate candidate Roy Moore and Democratic sitting Senator Al Franken of late, we have seen an increased politicization of Me Too, with the president (of all people) weighing in to attack Franken while giving Moore, who stands accused of more serious things by many more women, a pass, and conversely many Democrats (and, generally, MSNBC) minimizing Franken's actions by contrasting orders of magnitude between his and those of Moore and Trump as a means by which to argue that Franken should remain in the Senate. If you are among those doing so, I must ask you this simple question: How much do you hate yourself?

If you are a female human being, then the odds are that you yourself have experienced sexual harassment (by which, for our male readers, I mean things like being instructed by your boss to get on the table and spread your legs, a male authority figure masturbating in front you without your consent, catcalls, stalking, that type of thing, NOT casual compliments on one's appearance ), assault, rape, or molestation before, and if you haven't, then another female you know and love definitely has before. Is a party that insists you tolerate or systematically deny these things really your party at all? Do you feel good about yourself for selling out your sister or daughter or best friend or girlfriend or wife, and likely yourself personally as well, in exchange for more dick or popularity or partisan advantage? Does that make you feel proud to be a woman? Quit being a spineless go-along!

How does one go about not being a spineless go-along, you ask? Consider the example that has been set by Democratic Senator Kirsten Gillibrand of New York (please run for president!), who recently argued that yes Bill Clinton should have stepped down as president in response to the Monica Lewinski issue. Whatever party you belong to, if any, that is how it should be! Why? Because "woman" is a social class! We have shared interests! Or else Me Too would not exist to act upon some of them without regard to race, party alignment, sexual orientation, or anything else. It's not just calling out sexual harassment, assault, etc. either. The movement has identified definite policy changes that can help address these things, especially in the workplace. Namely, the outlawing of those nondisclosure agreements that businesses and other institutions make you sign to have a job so that you're legally prohibiting from telling anyone about your experience. Senator Gillibrand is sponsoring legislation to ban NDAs. And the idea of lifting of the statute of limitations on cases involving sexual harassment and assault has been widely discussed as well (including by Gillibrand). We have clearly seen that predators tend to depend on secrecy and time limits.

You know that fear is what prevents you from speaking out about your own experience(s) if you haven't. You feel closeted as a victim of predatory sexual behavior. So have I traditionally felt that way. We all do or have, as applicable. Like how people may feel afraid to come out as non-heterosexual or non-cisgender or, in past eras of Western history, as non-Christian. Where does the fear come from? Compulsory secrecy. Attacks on us. Us not talking to each other about these things. Not being believed. Me Too provides a support platform that gets around that culture of secrecy surrounding sexual exploitation. You can join us in advancing that cause if you're willing to add your voice and support others who do so as well.

Don't be a spineless go-along. Recognize that we have shared interests and stand up for yourself and for all of us, with all of us. That's the only way positive change will happen. Or cheerlead child molesters. It's your choice.
    Last edited by IMPress Polly; 11-19-2017 at 10:27 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IMPress Polly For This Useful Post:

nic34 (11-19-2017),Trish (11-19-2017)

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 672
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    countryboy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,806x in 13,696 Posts
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    Though men are welcome to offer their input (which I'm sure will be broadly supportive ), I'm primarily addressing our female membership here in this rant.

With the accusations against Republican Senate candidate Roy Moore and Democratic sitting Senator Al Franken of late, we have seen an increased politicization of Me Too, with the president (of all people) weighing in to attack Franken while giving Moore, who stands accused of more serious things by many more women, a pass, and conversely many Democrats (and, generally, MSNBC) minimizing Franken's actions by contrasting orders of magnitude between his and those of Moore and Trump as a means by which to argue that Franken should remain in the Senate. If you are among those doing so, I must ask you this simple question: How much do you hate yourself?

If you are a female human being, then the odds are that you yourself have experienced sexual harassment (by which, for our male readers, I mean things like being instructed by your boss to get on the table and spread your legs, a male authority figure masturbating in front you without your consent, catcalls, stalking, that type of thing, NOT casual compliments on one's appearance ), assault, rape, or molestation before, and if you haven't, then another female you know and love definitely has before. Is a party that insists you tolerate or systematically deny these things really your party at all? Do you feel good about yourself for selling out your sister or daughter or best friend or girlfriend or wife, and likely yourself personally as well, in exchange for more dick or popularity or partisan advantage? Does that make you feel proud to be a woman? Quit being a spineless go-along!

How does one go about not being a spineless go-along, you ask? Consider the example that has been set by Democratic Senator Kirsten Gillibrand of New York (please run for president!), who recently argued that yes Bill Clinton should have stepped down as president in response to the Monica Lewinski issue. Whatever party you belong to, if any, that is how it should be! Why? Because "woman" is a social class! We have shared interests! Or else Me Too would not exist to act upon some of them without regard to race, party alignment, sexual orientation, or anything else. It's not just calling out sexual harassment, assault, etc. either. The movement has identified definite policy changes that can help address these things, especially in the workplace. Namely, the outlawing of those nondisclosure agreements that businesses and other institutions make you sign to have a job so that you're legally prohibiting from telling anyone about your experience. Senator Gillibrand is sponsoring legislation to ban NDAs. And the idea of lifting of the statute of limitations on cases involving sexual harassment and assault has been widely discussed as well (including by Gillibrand). We have clearly seen that predators tend to depend on secrecy and time limits.

You know that fear is what prevents you from speaking out about your own experience(s) if you haven't. You feel closeted as a victim of predatory sexual behavior. So have I traditionally felt that way. We all do or have, as applicable. Like how people may feel afraid to come out as non-heterosexual or non-cisgender or, in past eras of Western history, as non-Christian. Where does the fear come from? Compulsory secrecy. Attacks on us. Us not talking to each other about these things. Not being believed. Me Too provides a support platform that gets around that culture of secrecy surrounding sexual exploitation. You can join us in advancing that cause if you're willing to add your voice and support others who do so as well.

Don't be a spineless go-along. Recognize that we have shared interests and stand up for yourself and for all of us, with all of us. That's the only way positive change will happen. Or cheerlead child molesters. It's your choice.
    So you don't believe in the presumption of innocence?
    Cutesy Time is OVER

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 220
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Trish's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,754x in 2,330 Posts
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I applaud you for your commentary. There are some points you made that I wholeheartedly agree with. The saying "you are your own worst enemy" comes to mind when I hear some women defend Roy Moore when we are still learning about his actions. I love your point about women being sisters and agree that we are stronger when we stand together. Those who side with their abusers or abusers in general have done their own gender a disservice. The meaning "daughters of the South" has taken on a whole new meaning to me with the Roy Moore allegations. I never imagined women being okay with daughters being preyed upon and framing this type of perverted pedophilia as a cultural "thing". It's not cultural, it's shameful.

I was watching the news one day this week (I can't recall which day or which station) and there was a female guest on who was arguing that Al Franken's accuser didn't have the right to accept his apology. That the law should step in and decide whether he should be prosecuted or remain in the Senate.

I would argue that this is a very slippery slope. This woman was clearly a feminist to the highest degree. What she didn't realize was that her argument could be applied to other controversial issues such as abortion. If the accuser accepts the apology then yes it is her body and her "choice" to accept that apology.

I don't want to veer too far off from your topic but I do think it had an important point of caution to add to this conversation.

I disagree that all sexual conduct is equal and should be addressed as such. IMO they are not equal. I do not look at pedophilia the same as a women being sexually harassed.

Whether we agree 100% or not this is an incredibly important issue and I thank you for laying out your feelings and thoughts and encouraging feedback and dialogue.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trish For This Useful Post:

IMPress Polly (11-19-2017),nic34 (11-19-2017),Safety (11-19-2017)

Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    nic34's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,703x in 2,808 Posts
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tell you what, I'll advocate that Franken step down once Trump agrees to.
    Problem solved.
    "Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children."
    ----------

Nattering naybob

7. The Following User Says Thank You to nic34 For This Useful Post:

midcan5 (11-19-2017)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,521x in 55,042 Posts
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    So you don't believe in the presumption of innocence?
    It's been a long time since the court of public opinion upheld that standard.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Cthulhu (11-19-2017),KathyS (11-19-2017)

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,820
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    The Xl's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 19,793x in 11,974 Posts
    Mentioned
    433 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Franken actually got caught and admitted it, did he not? Moore is asserting innocence, that makes it a little different.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Xl For This Useful Post:

hanger4 (11-19-2017),KathyS (11-19-2017),Ravens Fan (11-19-2017)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,521x in 55,042 Posts
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Xl View Post
    Franken actually got caught and admitted it, did he not? Moore is asserting innocence, that makes it a little different.
    Yes, though last I read Franken hasn't admitted to all of the accusations against him.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Ravens Fan (11-19-2017)

Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 798
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    midcan5's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,497x in 1,841 Posts
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I agree with much of the OP I must ask. We were out yesterday with friends who are religious and I mentioned Roy Moore. The woman was the first to call the accusers publicity seekers etc. I'm not sure how you change the minds of people who see the world entirely different than you do? Since we see them infrequently I was a cautious but asked what someone would gain out of their acknowledgement, and where is the fame in being a victim. I saw quickly there was little sense in discussing further. Humans do not often think, they are programmed for the most part and you can't change their minds by saying they hate themselves. They don't. Let me throw out another thought, Hillary Clinton hatred went on for twenty five or more years, how much of that hatred was gender and misogyny? And then ask yourself why? And then ponder how white women voted for a sexual predator? Did they too hate themselves and women? A woman.
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to midcan5 For This Useful Post:

nic34 (11-19-2017),Trish (11-19-2017)

Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 2,200
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,264x in 12,387 Posts
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Consider the example that has been set by Democratic Senator Kirsten Gillibrand of New York (please run for president!), who recently argued that yes Bill Clinton should have stepped down as president in response to the Monica Lewinski issue.
    Don't you think that making, in effect, any female employee who chooses to dally with the Boss - whatever her age, and however consensual the dalliance - legally incompetent to make that adult decision is not exactly a ringing endorsement of female empowerment?
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

Trish (11-19-2017)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 67
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    hanger4's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 22,818x in 15,384 Posts
    Mentioned
    549 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just one small problem IMPress Polly, with Franken we have photographic evidence of his misdeeds, with Moore we have no more than he said she said.
    It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hanger4 For This Useful Post:

Abby08 (11-19-2017),KathyS (11-19-2017)

+ Reply to Thread