Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,094x in 12,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Polly, after reading your review, I'd pretty much decided not to go see Justice League at the theatre...but after three days of just doing stuff around the house, I needed to get out and sit in a dark room and eat popcorn, so I went early on Sunday afternoon. Glad I did, as I really enjoyed the film.

No, it wasn't nearly as much fun as the first Avengers movie, but Marvel doesn't always hit the mark, either. (The second Thor film literally put me to sleep, and Dr. Strange was poorly put together.) The first half of Justice League was especially good, I thought; the battle on Themyscira was breathtaking, Bruce's meeting with Arthur Curry was amazing, and Wonder Woman was - oh, well, she just was! ("Minimal"? I thought she was in more scenes than any other character.) One of my favorite scenes was later in the film, when she uses her lasso on someone without their knowing it - THAT was funny!

The big final battle royale was dark and somewhat cartoony - it always is - but it was relatively brief compared with most movies of this type.

One surprise was the final "easter egg". There was a brief one about thirty seconds into the end credits, but then I figured that was it. I started to leave and realized that at least a dozen people were still seated, and I thought "They're just confused and think they're at a Marvel movie". I hung around anyway, just to be sure, and damned if there wasn't another egg at the very end, a la Marvel. Is this the first one they've done that with? I like it of course. I still laugh whenever I think of the shawarma scene from Avengers.

My bottom line: best DC superhero movie ever that didn't have Christian Bale in it.

Whoops, except for Wonder Woman, of course.
    Last edited by Standing Wolf; 11-27-2017 at 05:47 PM.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 357
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    hanger4's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 22,756x in 15,337 Posts
    Mentioned
    549 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    Funny how some people come to The Geek Out Zone and feel the need to comment on the essential geekiness of the discussions there. Sort of like going to that part of the forum dedicated to animals, in the middle of a thread talking about how great dogs are, and posting that you don't like dogs and have never owned one.
    :tougue:
    It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right.

Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 793
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hanger4 View Post
    :tougue:
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,804
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,643x in 4,358 Posts
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Standing Wolf wrote:
    Polly, after reading your review, I'd pretty much decided not to go see Justice League at the theatre...but after three days of just doing stuff around the house, I needed to get out and sit in a dark room and eat popcorn, so I went early on Sunday afternoon. Glad I did, as I really enjoyed the film.
    Yes well you also enjoyed this year's King Arthur film!

At this point I think it must be asked: have you ever seen an action movie you didn't like before?

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    Yes well you also enjoyed this year's King Arthur film!
    Full disclosure, as an ardent Sons of Anarchy fan, I would pay money to watch Charlie Hunnam in just about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    At this point I think it must be asked: have you ever seen an action movie you didn't like before?
    In his book, Ron Perlman called Ice Pirates - a film he appeared in early in his career - "a piece of sh*t". He was being kind.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

IMPress Polly (11-30-2017)

Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 333
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Kacper's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,017x in 747 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Xl View Post
    A 2 hour movie with that many protagonists is going to have a hard time with any level of character development.
    Character development is going to always take back seat to merchandising in these type movies. The more characters, the more junk to sell.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kacper View Post
    Character development is going to always take back seat to merchandising in these type movies. The more characters, the more junk to sell.
    It's going to be interesting to see if they eventually bring a Green Lantern into the franchise. (I say a Green Lantern because I'm assuming the Ryan Reynolds version is not going to be returning any time soon.) The original '60s team also featured J'onn J'onzz, the Martian Manhunter; Cyborg didn't show up until the '80s, as a member of the Teen Titans, and didn't become a JLA'er until the 2011 DC Universe reboot.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's going to be interesting to see if they eventually bring a Green Lantern into the franchise. (I say a Green Lantern because I'm assuming the Ryan Reynolds version is not going to be returning any time soon.) The original '60s team also featured J'onn J'onzz, the Martian Manhunter; Cyborg didn't show up until the '80s, as a member of the Teen Titans, and didn't become a JLA'er until the 2011 DC Universe reboot.
    They already did with Yalan Gur in the history lesson

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kacper View Post
    They already did with Yalan Gur in the history lesson
    Oh, that's right...I'd forgotten about those scenes. I meant, of course, bringing a Green Lantern into the screen JLA. You have to wonder whether they'll use the Hal Jordan or Kyle whatshisname (Raynor?) version. Not sure I like having Barry Allen turned into a geeky kid - obviously DC's Spiderman-equivalent.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, that's right...I'd forgotten about those scenes. I meant, of course, bringing a Green Lantern into the screen JLA. You have to wonder whether they'll use the Hal Jordan or Kyle whatshisname (Raynor?) version. Not sure I like having Barry Allen turned into a geeky kid - obviously DC's Spiderman-equivalent.
    As cheesy as Hollywood is these days they will bring back an evil descendant and make them a good guy afterall.

+ Reply to Thread