User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Chief Justice Roberts A Secret Liberal?

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,530x in 55,047 Posts
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    A libertarian response from Reason.com: No, Chief Justice John Roberts Is Not a 'Secret Liberal'

...You may have noticed that Roeder makes a foundational error at the outset. He confuses the outcome of a case with the legal reasoning that led to that outcome. The problems only grow from there.

In a manner of speaking, yes, National Federation of Independent Business v. Sebelius does count as a "liberal" win, because the liberal Obama administration won. But why did the liberal side win? What did the Court actually say in its decision?

Before I get into that, let me go back to Roeder's assertion that "the chief justice was widely expected to vote to kill the [health care] law."

Not everyone back then was so sure that Roberts would "kill the law." Seven months before the Supreme Court heard oral arguments in the Obamacare case, I wrote the following: "Roberts may very well uphold the health care law as an act of judicial restraint."

I wrote that because it seemed to me that Roberts came from the school of legal conservatism that puts serious stock in the doctrine of judicial restraint, or judicial deference—the idea that judges should defer to the democratic branches of government whenever possible, nullifying duly enacted laws on only the rarest of occasions. As the conservative legal icon Robert Bork liked to put it, "let the majority have its way." It also seemed to me that this deferential doctrine was going to play an important role in the looming SCOTUS showdown over heath care and that Roberts would be the one to watch on that front.

So why did the liberal side win the case? Or, more accurately, why did the conservative chief justice vote to uphold the health care law?

Here is what Roberts had to say for himself: "It is not our job to protect the people from the consequences of their political choices." In short: Roberts made the familiar argument for judicial deference....
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,392x in 27,950 Posts
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    A libertarian response from Reason.com: No, Chief Justice John Roberts Is Not a 'Secret Liberal'
    In other words, Roberts is a dickhead who is not to be trusted with the Constitution.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post
    In other words, Roberts is a dickhead who is not to be trusted with the Constitution.
    No, he's a conservative who adheres to judicial deference.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,392x in 27,950 Posts
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    No, he's a conservative who adheres to judicial deference.
    No. He is an untrustworthy dickhead.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 559
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Don's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,934x in 2,482 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read somewhere when he was being considered that although he was a conservative judge he had a tendency to rule in favor of things that leant more power to the executive than the constitution allowed. Not so much a strict constitutional originist like Justice Scalia. Too bad. I hope we do better with Justice Gorsuch.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I read somewhere when he was being considered that although he was a conservative judge he had a tendency to rule in favor of things that leant more power to the executive than the constitution allowed. Not so much a strict constitutional originist like Justice Scalia. Too bad. I hope we do better with Justice Gorsuch.
    I think Justice Gorsuch is going to be very outspoken. He made headlines today: http://thepoliticalforums.com/thread...one-Tracking-C

+ Reply to Thread