User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Limits of "Believe all women"

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 2,012
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,449x in 11,739 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Limits of "Believe all women"

In less than two months we’ve moved from uncovering accusations of criminal behavior (Harvey Weinstein) to criminalizing behavior that we previously regarded as presumptuous and boorish (Glenn Thrush). In a climate in which sexual mores are transforming so rapidly, many men are asking: If I were wrongly accused, who would believe me?

I know the answer that many women would give — are giving — is: Good. Be scared. We have been scared for forever. It’s your turn for some sleepless nights. They’ll say: If some innocent men go down in the effort to tear down the patriarchy, so be it...

Ms. Lindin was widely criticized, but say this much for her: At least she had the guts to publicly articulate a view that so many women are sharing with one another in private. Countless innocent women have been robbed of justice, friends of mine insist, so why are we agonizing about the possibility of a few good men going down?...

If the past few weeks have shown us the unique horrors some women have faced, the answer to it can’t be a stringent new solidarity that further limits the definition of womanhood and lumps our highly diverse experiences together simply based on our gender. I don’t think that helps women. Or men.

I believe that the “believe all women” vision of feminism unintentionally fetishizes women. Women are no longer human and flawed. They are Truth personified. They are above reproach.

I believe that it’s condescending to think that women and their claims can’t stand up to interrogation and can’t handle skepticism. I believe that facts serve feminists far better than faith. That due process is better than mob rule.
    The Limits of "Believe All Women" - New York Times

This is interesting; I admit that I often will give the woman or victim the benefit of the doubt since there is very little motivation to lie, and statistically it is not common for people to lie. But I also try to balance that with the fact that accusations and allegations have to be proven true and most lack evidence, especially currently with the many scandals going on.

Interesting to see a feminist point of view on why it is dangerous and misguided to just believe every woman that comes forward with an accusation/allegation. I think that I agree with the author.

That said, it makes me feel incredibly guilty to question the validity of someone's claim they were harassed or assaulted or abused. As a survivor, it makes me feel like $#@! to wonder whether someone might not be telling the truth or whole truth. It feels like I am supposed to believe all women by default because I am among the "Me too" group.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone who believes everything all women say is a damn fool, women lie every bit as much as men, ask any cop.

Women tease, flirt, touch and do all the things that if a man did today someone would be exposing him as a dirtbag.

Women get away with it because men have a totally different outlook about it.

I hate rapists sexual abusers but that doesn mean we MUST take everyone womans that makes an accusation as the gospel truth.
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 1,327
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    resister's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,122x in 7,595 Posts
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would consider these claims with far more gravity, if they did not just happen to accuse in droves as an election approaches.
    There is no God but Resister and Refugee is his messenger’.

Book of Democrat Things, Chapter 1:1

4. The Following User Says Thank You to resister For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by resister View Post
    I would consider these claims with far more gravity, if they did not just happen to accuse in droves as an election approaches.
    How do you prove allegations that happened 20-30-40 yrs ago. How do we determine whats true, whats false and whats just piling on.
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 1,327
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    resister's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,122x in 7,595 Posts
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    How do you prove allegations that happened 20-30-40 yrs ago. How do we determine whats true, whats false and whats just piling on.
    In the majority of cases, you cant. There should be prison time for any accuser, that is proven to be lying.
    There is no God but Resister and Refugee is his messenger’.

Book of Democrat Things, Chapter 1:1

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,837x in 10,134 Posts
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by resister View Post
    Harvey Weinstein had nothing to do with the elections. Matt Lauer didn't have anything to do with the election. Nor did O'Reilly.

I can't imagine going public with something like this if it weren't true.

I can imagine if a man sexually assaulted me. Would I be likely to go to the police? Would I be likely to go public? The answer is no. I believe very few men would.

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 3
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    barb012's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,459x in 906 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have been a victim of this behavior but I will NOT support ruining a man's life on accusations alone. I also know a couple of women who made up allegations of sexual misconduct in order to gain from it for selfish motivations.

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 2,012
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,449x in 11,739 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captdon View Post
    Harvey Weinstein had nothing to do with the elections. Matt Lauer didn't have anything to do with the election. Nor did O'Reilly.

I can't imagine going public with something like this if it weren't true.

I can imagine if a man sexually assaulted me. Would I be likely to go to the police? Would I be likely to go public? The answer is no. I believe very few men would.
    There is usually nothing to gain with going public. I have talked about this before; you will get shunned and people will say horrible things about you, even if you have proof of some kind. There is no money in it, most often, because there is no proof to support a civil suit, and a vast majority are not going to get some kind of book deal or whatever. There just is not a reason to go public. That doesn't automatically mean that all allegations are true, but there is really no advantage to creating an allegation and going public with a lie. In fact, if I had experienced something and were thinking about going public, I probably wouldn't because there is no guarantee I wouldn't be hit with a libel/slander lawsuit.

Really, nothing to be gained with the accusations and allegations currently going on. Doesn't mean they are all legit, but I take a middle ground on the issue because rationally it doesn't make sense to make something up for no reason, but someone is not guilty until convicted.

Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 720
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    rcfieldz's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,129x in 897 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by barb012 View Post
    I also have been a victim of this behavior but I will NOT support ruining a man's life on accusations alone. I also know a couple of women who made up allegations of sexual misconduct in order to gain from it for selfish motivations.
    I remember a woman who was telling people(my room mates) I had herpes. I told them that Vitiligo is not contagious and that I am a virgin(I was at the time). My room mate seemed surprised.
    And years later a woman was telling people I gave her herpes. She had sex with a man who was going thru a divorce(his wife claimed she gave her herpes) and when she turned from me and acted interested in him I am glad she hadn't had sex with me before I saw her actions.
    I have been celibate for many many years.

+ Reply to Thread