Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,721x in 4,392 Posts
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What Happened to "Rocket Man"?

Well, to my own surprise, it looks as though North Korea has successfully tested their first missile capable of delivering a nuclear warhead not only to the continental United States, but indeed anywhere in the world. I had figured such a development to be years away yet; a premise that formed the basis for my previous prediction of war with North Korea by year's end! With that premise having just been discredited, I must now alter my prediction fundamentally: war with North Korea now seems like an extremely unlikely possibility. My previous forecast of war had been premised on North Korea being unable to retaliate against the United States itself for any bombing campaign or ground invasion. Now that it appears they have at least some capacity to do so, I believe the Korean Peninsula to be basically safe from the threat of external attack! You could tell as much by the president's muted response to the news:

Upon receiving word that North Korea had apparently just successfully tested a missile capable of delivering a nuclear warhead to the White House, the fiercest response President Trump could muster was "It is a situation that we will handle". It was a far cry from his earlier rhetoric toward the regime. No more talk of "fire and fury". No more threats to "completely destroy" North Korea and its 24 million inhabitants. No more talk of diplomatic options running out. No more "Rocket Man". With but a missile test, a Second World regime run by a king my age accomplished a feat that no one else has been able to so far: he has shut the leader of the so-called free world's trap. And with that development, the regime has manifestly accomplished its self-described goal of acquiring a better negotiating position with the United States going forward. And so there the billionaire leader of the "free world" sat, defeated by the boy-king of a developing country. I hate to say that I was rooting for the latter in this little spat, but you know what, that someone on this Earth was able to shut President Trump up is to me the most satisfying development of the year so far.

Now imagine, by contrast, if Kim Jong Un's regime had taken us up on our generous offer of admission to the world community proper and improved relations with us in exchange for giving up their nuclear weapons program. Well...we need only look to the example of Libya to see what happens to you when you accept that offer. Muammar Ghadafi accepted just such an offer vis-a-vis his country's weapons of mass destruction back in 2003. Eight years later, he was dead and his country in ruins from a U.S.-led bombing campaign. Or consider the case of Iraq, which in 2002-3 stood accused by the U.S. government of developing nuclear weapons. Weapons inspectors were brought in and only after they found no evidence of WMDs did the United States decide to invade. Or consider the case of Iran, which we struck a deal with two years ago to halt the development of their nuclear power program in exchange for a partial release from economic sanctions. Two years later, we are the ones pulling out of that deal despite Iran's adherence thereto. It all begs the question: why should North Korea's leaders ever have believed us?

If North Korea had accepted our generous offer of improved relations in exchange for scrapping their nuclear weapons program, they would have been attacked as soon as their nuclear weapons program was gone! And what of South Korea? Well, they would have been invaded by North Korea in response to the aforementioned American attack, and whatever was left after the said war would not have been rebuilt because the only reason we give South Korea favorable trading agreements and aid is because their country serves as a bulwark against North Korea in the region. With the North Korean regime's ouster, the U.S. would find that South Korea had exhausted its usefulness and be left it to rot. THAT was the alternative available to the Korean Peninsula in reality! So thank you, North Korea, for preserving the peace between our two countries and on the Korean Peninsula!

That is what I have to say.
    Last edited by IMPress Polly; 11-30-2017 at 08:01 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IMPress Polly For This Useful Post:

Ethereal (11-30-2017),Green Arrow (11-30-2017),The Xl (11-30-2017)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    Ethereal's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 41,580x in 26,042 Posts
    Mentioned
    1175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for making a substantive and legitimate criticism of Trump. It is a welcome departure from what usually passes for criticism around here.

And you are 100% right about everything you say. If North Korea has a functional nuclear ICBM, then that fundamentally changes the dynamic between the USA and North Korea. Put simply, it basically takes war off the table, which is fantastic.
    Power always thinks it has a great soul, and vast views, beyond the comprehension of the weak. And that it is doing God service when it is violating all His laws.
    --John Adams

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ethereal For This Useful Post:

IMPress Polly (11-30-2017),The Xl (11-30-2017)

Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 496
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsSocial
    waltky's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,140x in 1,616 Posts
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ethereal wrote: If North Korea has a functional nuclear ICBM, then that fundamentally changes the dynamic between the USA and North Korea.

It also changes the dynamic between them and China and Russia...

... so why aren't they just as worried as Trump is?

China and Russia are closer in proximity.

Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    Ethereal's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 41,580x in 26,042 Posts
    Mentioned
    1175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waltky View Post
    Ethereal wrote: If North Korea has a functional nuclear ICBM, then that fundamentally changes the dynamic between the USA and North Korea.

Because unlike the USA, China and Russia aren't trying to overthrow North Korea's government.
    Power always thinks it has a great soul, and vast views, beyond the comprehension of the weak. And that it is doing God service when it is violating all His laws.
    --John Adams

Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,530x in 55,047 Posts
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I think the opposite, that NK's capability makes war more likely with leaders like that.

As for "It is a situation that we will handle" I think he may be referring to our defense shield, that we can stop any missiles launched at us. I read something about that recently.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Don (11-30-2017)

Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 2,545
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Bethere's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,107x in 4,132 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    Well, to my own surprise, it looks as though North Korea has successfully tested their first missile capable of delivering a nuclear warhead not only to the continental United States, but indeed anywhere in the world. I had figured such a development to be years away yet; a premise that formed the basis for my previous prediction of war with North Korea by year's end! With that premise having just been discredited, I must now alter my prediction fundamentally: war with North Korea now seems like an extremely unlikely possibility. My previous forecast of war had been premised on North Korea being unable to retaliate against the United States itself for any bombing campaign or ground invasion. Now that it appears they have at least some capacity to do so, I believe the Korean Peninsula to be basically safe from the threat of external attack! You could tell as much by the president's muted response to the news:

Upon receiving word that North Korea had apparently just successfully tested a missile capable of delivering a nuclear warhead to the White House, the fiercest response President Trump could muster was "It is a situation that we will handle". It was a far cry from his earlier rhetoric toward the regime. No more talk of "fire and fury". No more threats to "completely destroy" North Korea and its 24 million inhabitants. No more talk of diplomatic options running out. No more "Rocket Man". With but a missile test, a Second World regime run by a king my age accomplished a feat that no one else has been able to so far: he has shut the leader of the so-called free world's trap. And with that development, the regime has manifestly accomplished its self-described goal of acquiring a better negotiating position with the United States going forward. And so there the billionaire leader of the "free world" sat, defeated by the boy-king of a developing country. I hate to say that I was rooting for the latter in this little spat, but you know what, that someone on this Earth was able to shut President Trump up is to me the most satisfying development of the year so far.

Now imagine, by contrast, if Kim Jong Un's regime had taken us up on our generous offer of admission to the world community proper and improved relations with us in exchange for giving up their nuclear weapons program. Well...we need only look to the example of Libya to see what happens to you when you accept that offer. Muammar Ghadafi accepted just such an offer vis-a-vis his country's weapons of mass destruction back in 2003. Eight years later, he was dead and his country in ruins from a U.S.-led bombing campaign. Or consider the case of Iraq, which in 2002-3 stood accused by the U.S. government of developing nuclear weapons. Weapons inspectors were brought in and only after they found no evidence of WMDs did the United States decide to invade. Or consider the case of Iran, which we struck a deal with two years ago to halt the development of their nuclear power program in exchange for a partial release from economic sanctions. Two years later, we are the ones pulling out of that deal despite Iran's adherence thereto. It all begs the question: why should North Korea's leaders ever have believed us?

If North Korea had accepted our generous offer of improved relations in exchange for scrapping their nuclear weapons program, they would have been attacked as soon as their nuclear weapons program was gone! And what of South Korea? Well, they would have been invaded by North Korea in response to the aforementioned American attack, and whatever was left after the said war would not have been rebuilt because the only reason we give South Korea favorable trading agreements and aid is because their country serves as a bulwark against North Korea in the region. With the North Korean regime's ouster, the U.S. would find that South Korea had exhausted its usefulness and be left it to rot. THAT was the alternative available to the Korean Peninsula in reality! So thank you, North Korea, for preserving the peace between our two countries and on the Korean Peninsula!

That is what I have to say.
    Post more often, Polly.

I don't have to agree with every single thing you said to admire your effort.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bethere For This Useful Post:

IMPress Polly (11-30-2017)

Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,323x in 10,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    U.S. warns North Korean leadership will be 'utterly destroyed' in case of war

Sorry Polly all your personal assumptions are wrong

The United States warned North Korea's leadership it would be "utterly destroyed" if war were to break out after Pyongyang test fired its most advanced missile, putting the U.S. mainland within range, in violation of U.N. Security Council resolutions.

The Trump administration has repeatedly said all options are on the table in dealing with North Korea's ballistic and nuclear weapons programmes, including military ones, but that it still prefers a diplomatic option.
    Speaking at an emergency U.N. Security Council meeting, U.S. ambassador Nikki Haley said the United States had never sought war with North Korea.
    "If war does come, it will be because of continued acts of aggression like we witnessed yesterday," she said. "...and if war comes, make no mistake, the North Korean regime will be utterly destroyed."

Haley said the United States has asked China to cut off oil supply to North Korea, a drastic step that Beijing - the North's neighbour and sole major trading partner - has so far refrained from doing. Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping talked on the phone earlier on Wednesday.
    "Just spoke to President Xi Jinping of China concerning the provocative actions of North Korea. Additional major sanctions will be imposed on North Korea today. This situation will be handled!" Trump wrote on Twitter.
    Previous U.S. administrations have failed to stop North Korea from developing nuclear weapons and a sophisticated missile programme. Trump, who has previously said the United States would "totally destroy" North Korea if necessary to protect itself and its allies from the nuclear threat, has also struggled to

https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-warns-n...023719637.html
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 3
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    barb012's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,459x in 906 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only problem is that Bush and Obama did that during their terms. They gave N Korea a lot of money to scrape their nuclear weapons program. They said they would and obviously never did. So why would we trust them now?

Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 1,354
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,721x in 4,392 Posts
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    waltky wrote:

Because they need China. A major uptick in Chinese investment is the reason North Korea's economy is currently growing at an annualized rate of 4%, as compared with 1% at the turn of the century and negative growth during the 1990s. They're not going to bite the hand that (literally) feeds them. Or at least not too hard anyway. China has the winning strategy for the conquest of North Korea: a peaceful one. The more of North Korea's economy their capitalists come to control, the more political leverage they will gain over the country's leaders and the more, thus, North Korea will start looking and acting like a mini-China/Chinese puppet state. That's what's eventually going to happen in all likelihood.

Common, quoting Nikki Haley:
    "If war does come, it will be because of continued acts of aggression like we witnessed yesterday," she said. "...and if war comes, make no mistake, the North Korean regime will be utterly destroyed."
    Oh dear God! If our government is STILL thinking of war seriously at this point, we are all in real trouble!
    Last edited by IMPress Polly; 11-30-2017 at 03:05 PM.

Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,530x in 55,047 Posts
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    Because they need China. A major uptick in Chinese investment is the reason North Korea's economy is currently growing at an annualized rate of 4%, as compared with 1% at the turn of the century and negative growth during the 1990s. They're not going to bite the hand that (literally) feeds them. Or at least not too hard anyway. China has the winning strategy for the conquest of North Korea: a peaceful one. The more of North Korea's economy their capitalists come to control, the more political leverage they will gain over the country's leaders and the more, thus, North Korea will start looking and acting like a mini-China/Chinese puppet state. That's what's eventually going to happen in all likelihood.

Oh dear God! If our government is STILL thinking of war seriously at this point, we are all in real trouble!

Milton Friedman once wrote that adopting free market capitalism would drive the adoption of other freedoms, the people would demand it--oh, wait, you're talking about state capitalism where, for instance, the Chinese government can tax the Chinese people to pay for subsidizing NK's economy.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

+ Reply to Thread