Ethereal's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 41,536x in 26,005 Posts
    Mentioned
    1169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's far easier for women to attract a mate, too. I cannot tell you how many guy friends I've had throughout the years who faced tons of romantic rejection from girls. Their humiliation and frustration was made all the more acute by the social expectation that men must approach women. Many of them simply give up after years of little success. I honestly don't know any women who've been faced with this kind of problem. Even the most heinous women have romantic options not available to their male counterparts.

Power always thinks it has a great soul, and vast views, beyond the comprehension of the weak. And that it is doing God service when it is violating all His laws.
    --John Adams

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 1,050
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    stjames1_53's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,263x in 20,294 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    More workers = less production? How?

When I was little, I wanted to be an engineer and work on trains. I was fascinated by trains as a kid. You know what happened? Kids made fun of me because that's not a "girly" thing to be into. So I learned to pursue "girly" work instead.

I don't mean to complain about my job. I like teaching! I'm just saying that it wasn't my first choice and that that's how it is for many of us.

Your inquiry was sort of like asking somebody why they aren't in the NFL if they want to watch football. It's really, really over-simplistic.
    you are a fraud. Why aren't you working in the trades? You don't like the work, you are incapable of it, and the money is slim.
    For waltky: http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" B. Franklin
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 2,877
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,929x in 8,807 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stjames1_53 View Post
    you are a fraud. Why aren't you working in the trades? You don't like the work, you are incapable of it, and the money is slim.
    That's rather unfair. Females in the past faced a great deal of pressure to conform to gender roles, both from parents and from their peers. That can be very confusing for a child, particularly if the pressure is from their own family or if their family does not support their goals. I am now seeing far more women in roles previously defined as male only, but that's really only in the last 20 years or so. Not that there were none before, but they were far rarer. I have a female acquaintance whose daughter is now an auto mechanic. However, her daughter is in her early 20's. Thirty years ago she would not have been hired no matter how good she was at her job. I have a co-worker who as a teen wanted to go into engineering. Her father adamantly objected and pushed her into commercial studies. Short of leaving home and alienating her family, she had no choice but to abide by her father's wishes. Women who have followed their dreams and entered fields that were one exclusively male have faced terrible prejudice and sexual harassment when crossing those traditional barriers.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

IMPress Polly (12-03-2017)

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,804
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,643x in 4,358 Posts
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dr. Who wrote:
    It is an interesting video. I certainly felt myself identifying with that poor beleaguered man. Perhaps it was a tad over the top, but it was a dramatic presentation which had to condense a lot of behavior into a short span of time. There is no question, however, that women do experience the condescension portrayed in the video. Less now than when I was younger, but it's still there, along with cat calls and sexual objectification. On the positive side, I do think that people's attitudes are changing and parents are less likely now to artificially limit the dreams of their daughters and girls are less likely to believe that their futures are limited to "supporting roles".
    I used to be more optimistic, but the events of the last three years have caused me to change my mind.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to IMPress Polly For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,900x in 54,717 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    I used to be more optimistic, but the events of the last three years have caused me to change my mind.
    I think the sexual harassment accusations, while overboard, will change things. Public shame is far more effective than any government law or punishment.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,041
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    William's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,818x in 1,689 Posts
    Mentioned
    298 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @IMPress Polly I watched your video, and I thought it was very interesting - even if a bit OTT (but I guess it had to be to make its point). It made me think about those things, and made me resolve never to be part of doing those things to girls (not that I would want to, but it's easy to get involved in dopey stuff when you are in a group).

I do think society is still unfair to females in many ways, but I don't know the answer. Maybe it is time, cos if you look at how women were treated in Victorian times , and compare that to today, there has been loads of progress.

But it's not all one way. For teens - boys get a worse rap than girls. I know from my own experiences that boys get blamed for everything, even if they are not involved. Every boy knows that if they are in a mixed group, and there is a complaint - too much noise, or whatever - it is the boys who will get their names taken. I have been put off a bus cos of a group of noisy school girls. Girls - specially teen girls - are treated as valuable assets by society (for obvious reasons in male society) - while boys are treated as competition, and as a necessary nuisance which must be controlled and put down as much as possible. So society is unfair to different groups for different reasons - mostly selfish ones.
    Oh, I wish I were a glow worm,
    for a glow worm's never glum,
    'cause how can you be grumpy
    when the sun shines out your bum!

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 1,050
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    stjames1_53's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,263x in 20,294 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    That's rather unfair. Females in the past faced a great deal of pressure to conform to gender roles, both from parents and from their peers. That can be very confusing for a child, particularly if the pressure is from their own family or if their family does not support their goals. I am now seeing far more women in roles previously defined as male only, but that's really only in the last 20 years or so. Not that there were none before, but they were far rarer. I have a female acquaintance whose daughter is now an auto mechanic. However, her daughter is in her early 20's. Thirty years ago she would not have been hired no matter how good she was at her job. I have a co-worker who as a teen wanted to go into engineering. Her father adamantly objected and pushed her into commercial studies. Short of leaving home and alienating her family, she had no choice but to abide by her father's wishes. Women who have followed their dreams and entered fields that were one exclusively male have faced terrible prejudice and sexual harassment when crossing those traditional barriers.
    As I progressed through the ranks of the trades, I went through periods of "indoctrination" or hazing if you will. The trades are a brutal world. I worked my way up through the trades to end up owning two construction companies. THAT was brutal. I also worked for two women,each with their own construction outfits. One couldn't find her ass in a hall of mirrors with a search warrant in her ass pocket and she was an emotional wreck two weeks out of every month, the other was quite competent....guess which one is still around.
    We each have our talents. We go with what we can do.
    For waltky: http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" B. Franklin
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

10. The Following User Says Thank You to stjames1_53 For This Useful Post:

Chris (12-04-2017)

+ Reply to Thread