Mentioned
    334 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @DGUtley? What’s your take?
    How crazy alt righties got pwnd by a conervative web site:
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/berlins.../#3b7ecb78e9b5
    il·lib·er·al
    i(l)ˈlib(ə)rəladjective1.opposed to liberal principles; restricting freedom of thought or behavior
    "illiberal and anti-democratic policies
    • synonyms: intolerant, narrow-minded, unenlightened, conservative, reactionary;

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,486x in 55,026 Posts
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Zero View Post
    Over the past few years, SCOTUS has acknowledged through rulings, predominantly gay marriage, that gays are a protected (for lack of a better term) group, recognizing discrimination against them in all facets of society.

This decision will either grant full legal protection to gays or remove protections for not just gays but all groups, be they gay, black, female et al.

I don’t think Justice Kennedy will allow that to happen.

So far largely protections from government, as in the case of marriage--which, btw, I'm fine with, the government shouldn't discriminate.

But within society itself? People discriminate in all things for all sorts of reasons, that cannot be stopped by law or judicial opinions. Nor should they.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

resister (12-06-2017)

Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 333
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Kacper's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,017x in 747 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Safety View Post
    Great find, yes this should be pretty cut and dry for the plaintiffs. There have been too many times that people use religion as a shield to hide behind their bigotry. Just like people would find no trouble in denouncing a religion that would allow necrophilia, to attempt to use religion to refuse service to a gay person should be heralded the same. If a business owner doesn't want to serve all citizens equally in regards to inherent characteristics, then they are free to start a member's only private club and lose the opportunity to earn monies from the general public, or find another line of work. There is no "right" to own a business, just like no one has the "right" to be an astronaut.

For the natural law detractors, this is a nation of laws, either deal with it or garner enough support to change them.
    They are not plaintiffs, and has been discussed to death, he just wouldn't do a custom wedding cake for them.

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 2,269
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,049x in 8,897 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kacper View Post
    They are not plaintiffs, and has been discussed to death, he just wouldn't do a custom wedding cake for them.
    As far as I can see, Phillips is basing his case on freedom of speech and religion:

In the past, the Supreme Court has set limits on freedom of speech and religion. The court has repeatedly ruled that constitutional rights do not nullify neutral laws on everything from racial equality to taxes. An Amish farmer, for example, refused to pay Social Security taxes for workers based on his religious belief that the community and not the government should care for the elderly and needy. The Supreme Court ruled unanimously in 1982 that by becoming an employer, the farmer freely entered into commercial activity and accepted certain limits on the exercise of his beliefs.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2017/12/04/supreme-court-baker-case-not-first-amendment-editorials-debates/911452001/
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Agent Zero (12-06-2017),Safety (12-06-2017)

Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 333
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Kacper's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,017x in 747 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    As far as I can see, Phillips is basing his case on freedom of speech and religion:

In the past, the Supreme Court has set limits on freedom of speech and religion. The court has repeatedly ruled that constitutional rights do not nullify neutral laws on everything from racial equality to taxes. An Amish farmer, for example, refused to pay Social Security taxes for workers based on his religious belief that the community and not the government should care for the elderly and needy. The Supreme Court ruled unanimously in 1982 that by becoming an employer, the farmer freely entered into commercial activity and accepted certain limits on the exercise of his beliefs.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2017/12/04/supreme-court-baker-case-not-first-amendment-editorials-debates/911452001/
    As the Supreme Court ruled in Yoder that Amish children were exempt from compulsory education laws past the 8th grade as the Amish parents' right to oversee their children's religious education trumped the state's interest in educating them. It didn't strike down the education law. It just carved out an exception, giving rise to the modern lucrative Christian homeschooling craze of the day.

Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,323x in 10,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great find, yes this should be pretty cut and dry for the plaintiffs. There have been too many times that people use religion as a shield to hide behind their bigotry. Just like people would find no trouble in denouncing a religion that would allow necrophilia, to attempt to use religion to refuse service to a gay person should be heralded the same. If a business owner doesn't want to serve all citizens equally in regards to inherent characteristics, then they are free to start a member's only private club and lose the opportunity to earn monies from the general public, or find another line of work. There is no "right" to own a business, just like no one has the "right" to be an astronaut.

For the natural law detractors, this is a nation of laws, either deal with it or garner enough support to change them.
    Fantastic argument against sanctuary cities and a host of other liberal clusterf**cks
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

resister (12-06-2017)

tPF Moderator
    Overall activity: 65.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,612x in 25,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Zero View Post
    @DGUtley? What’s your take?
    I'm not a civil rights lawyer.

I believe that homosexuality is not a protected class. Race, sex, religion and age are what I believe have been held to be protected classes. The SC would have to find that homosexuality is a protected class to afford them the same rights as race, age, sex and religion -- and it may do so. It has not yet. That's the legal distinction here to me btw the case in the OP and this one. Again, I'm not a civil rights lawyer, this takes me back to law school and I'm really just thinking off the cuff here. How do you legally trump a non-protected class over a constitutionally defined right?

Putting aside my personal beliefs, let me ask a serious question that I hope will provoke thoughtful, not hateful, replies: if the Bible states that certain types of conduct constitute "sin", and that concept includes --according to the Bible-- homosexual sex as well as other things such as greed, sloth, drunkenness, witchcraft, adultery, prostitution, and a bunch of other things, AND if we freely acknowledge that all of us humans are sinners in countless ways, how do we respond to those Christians who embrace this Biblical view of homosexuality as sin? Do we write them all off as vile bigots? Do we "educate" them i.e., persuade them that certain parts of the Bible --the divine word of God for them-- are just wrong and should be ignored?

I'm just curious about how we reconcile tolerance for one oppressed group (homosexuals) with tolerance for another group (Christians), without turning that second group into an equally oppressed, vilified community. I don't think this controversy speaks to free speech as much as it begs a discussion of what freedom of religion truly means in our country in the 21st century. When we start marginalizing biblical-based views as ignorant bigotry and people who espouse those views as dimwits, aren't we treading on dangerous ground? There's a difference between showing love for all people --sinners included-- and force deeply religious people to condone (through their conduct) certain conduct as "okay". How can we force Christians who believe in the Biblical definitions of sin to say that what the Bible identifies as sin really isn't?

I think it's a difficult issue that requires patience and genuine attempts at honest discussion and understanding on all sides. I expect the SCOTUS to find a narrow ruling. I don't know how they'll hold.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Safety's Avatar Nationalist
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 22,901x in 15,599 Posts
    Mentioned
    1237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    I'm not a civil rights lawyer.

I believe that homosexuality is not a protected class. Race, sex, religion and age are what I believe have been held to be protected classes. The SC would have to find that homosexuality is a protected class to afford them the same rights as race, age, sex and religion -- and it may do so. It has not yet. That's the legal distinction here to me btw the case in the OP and this one. Again, I'm not a civil rights lawyer, this takes me back to law school and I'm really just thinking off the cuff here. How do you legally trump a non-protected class over a constitutionally defined right?

Putting aside my personal beliefs, let me ask a serious question that I hope will provoke thoughtful, not hateful, replies: if the Bible states that certain types of conduct constitute "sin", and that concept includes --according to the Bible-- homosexual sex as well as other things such as greed, sloth, drunkenness, witchcraft, adultery, prostitution, and a bunch of other things, AND if we freely acknowledge that all of us humans are sinners in countless ways, how do we respond to those Christians who embrace this Biblical view of homosexuality as sin? Do we write them all off as vile bigots? Do we "educate" them i.e., persuade them that certain parts of the Bible --the divine word of God for them-- are just wrong and should be ignored?

I'm just curious about how we reconcile tolerance for one oppressed group (homosexuals) with tolerance for another group (Christians), without turning that second group into an equally oppressed, vilified community. I don't think this controversy speaks to free speech as much as it begs a discussion of what freedom of religion truly means in our country in the 21st century. When we start marginalizing biblical-based views as ignorant bigotry and people who espouse those views as dimwits, aren't we treading on dangerous ground? There's a difference between showing love for all people --sinners included-- and force deeply religious people to condone (through their conduct) certain conduct as "okay". How can we force Christians who believe in the Biblical definitions of sin to say that what the Bible identifies as sin really isn't?

I think it's a difficult issue that requires patience and genuine attempts at honest discussion and understanding on all sides. I expect the SCOTUS to find a narrow ruling. I don't know how they'll hold.
    How did we overcome the use of the bible to support slavery or using the bible to support the idea that the normal status of the $#@! is to be a servant race to white people?
    “Conscientiously believing that the proper condition of the negro is slavery, or a complete subjection to the white man, and entertaining the belief that the day is not distant when the old Union will be restored with slavery nationally declared to be the proper condition of all of African descent, and in view of the future harmony and progress of all the States of America, I have been induced to issue this address, so that there may be no misunderstanding in the future”

- Jefferson Davis

tPF Moderator
    Overall activity: 65.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,612x in 25,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How did we overcome the use of the bible to support slavery or using the bible to support the idea that the normal status of the $#@! is to be a servant race to white people?
    I'm sorry, @Safety, I thought I explained that in my first paragraph -- Race is a protected class.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Safety's Avatar Nationalist
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 22,901x in 15,599 Posts
    Mentioned
    1237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    I'm sorry, @Safety, I thought I explained that in my first paragraph -- Race is a protected class.
    Ok, race is a protected class, but based upon the DOI where "all men are created equal", we still needed a "law" to ensure race is protected.

Romer v. Evans, 517 U.S. 620 (1996), is a landmark United States Supreme Court case dealing with sexual orientation and state laws. It was the first Supreme Court case to address gay rights since Bowers v. Hardwick (1986), when the Court had held that laws criminalizing sodomy were constitutional.[1]

The Court ruled in a 6–3 decision that a state constitutional amendment in Colorado preventing protected status based upon homosexuality or bisexuality did not satisfy the Equal Protection Clause.[2] The majority opinion in Romer stated that the amendment lacked "a rational relationship to legitimate state interests", and the dissent stated that the majority "evidently agrees that 'rational basis'—the normal test for compliance with the Equal Protection Clause—is the governing standard".[2][3] The state constitutional amendment failed rational basis review.[4][5][6][7]
    The Equal Protection Clause is part of the Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution. The clause, which took effect in 1868, provides that no state shall deny to any person within its jurisdiction "the equal protection of the laws".

So based upon that, people still used the bible as a source to say $#@! bondage was good (took an emancipation to reverse that), then used the bible to support segregation (took the CRA to reverse it), but you think a law would not help homosexuality and equal protection?
    “Conscientiously believing that the proper condition of the negro is slavery, or a complete subjection to the white man, and entertaining the belief that the day is not distant when the old Union will be restored with slavery nationally declared to be the proper condition of all of African descent, and in view of the future harmony and progress of all the States of America, I have been induced to issue this address, so that there may be no misunderstanding in the future”

- Jefferson Davis

+ Reply to Thread