User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: Piggy Pork and Gay Wedding Cakes

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,532x in 55,048 Posts
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    It does make for quite a spectacle.

You see a lot of lofty abstractions.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 2,257
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,050x in 8,898 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Of course you disagree, just that when you quote someone you ought to address what they said. If you're just going to express your views on the matter, don't quote.

Slavery was publicly accepted.

There has to be something more.

Yes, read them, they are supposed to serve and protect the people and their rights, not violate them to serve only some.

Then ground it in that reality, cite examples of governments that work the way you prefer them to. Don't just claim it.

For perhaps only 1-2% of man's 300000 year existence. So that claim doesn't stand.

For perhaps only 1-2% of man's 300000 year existence. So that claim doesn't stand.

You keep claiming your view is grounded in reality.

And they like risks and going around the law.

Reality?

Slavery.

Those thoughts are very Rousseauian and Hegelian whose ideas led to totalitarian states. (Comment on your post, not you.)
    Hmmm. Don't see a lot of links/proof in your response either. The preponderance of the human population has grown in the last thousand years, so your percentages are not particularly meaningful.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Safety (12-06-2017)

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 2,257
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,050x in 8,898 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed, if you and I mutually voluntarily agree--a contract--then we ought to abide by that agreement and the law ought to enforce it. No argument there.

The baker never agreed to make the cake, he said no. No contract.

Obtaining a license is different for it is forced upon you. You have no choice.
    Of course you have a choice. You don't have to be retail trade establishment. You can operate a bakery that is not open to the public and just supplies other establishments. Thousands do. They even make wedding cakes. The choice was his because he considers himself a cake artist. He can't have his cake and eat it.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Safety (12-06-2017)

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    Of course you have a choice. You don't have to be retail trade establishment. You can operate a bakery that is not open to the public and just supplies other establishments. Thousands do. They even make wedding cakes. The choice was his because he considers himself a cake artist. He can't have his cake and eat it.
    That's not a free choice. One ought to be free to pursue happiness as one sees fit--another DoI founding principle, a right that the government denies people.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Safety's Avatar Nationalist
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 22,901x in 15,599 Posts
    Mentioned
    1237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed, if you and I mutually voluntarily agree--a contract--then we ought to abide by that agreement and the law ought to enforce it. No argument there.

The baker never agreed to make the cake, he said no. No contract.

Obtaining a license is different for it is forced upon you. You have no choice.
    It you do have a choice, either take it or leave it. Nobody is saying you can have your cake and eat it too.
    “Conscientiously believing that the proper condition of the negro is slavery, or a complete subjection to the white man, and entertaining the belief that the day is not distant when the old Union will be restored with slavery nationally declared to be the proper condition of all of African descent, and in view of the future harmony and progress of all the States of America, I have been induced to issue this address, so that there may be no misunderstanding in the future”

- Jefferson Davis

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Safety For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's not a free choice. One ought to be free to pursue happiness as one sees fit--another DoI founding principle, a right that the government denies people.
    It is the freest of all choices, the choice to pursue another way of life. I find it mildly amusing the amount of effort to argue this point about not being free to choose who to serve, when the underlying premise is that someone is forcing you to have a business. That is incorrect, owning a business is a privilege not a right, just like owning a farm is a choice. Let me know when the government forces you to milk cows.
    “Conscientiously believing that the proper condition of the negro is slavery, or a complete subjection to the white man, and entertaining the belief that the day is not distant when the old Union will be restored with slavery nationally declared to be the proper condition of all of African descent, and in view of the future harmony and progress of all the States of America, I have been induced to issue this address, so that there may be no misunderstanding in the future”

- Jefferson Davis

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Safety For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    Hmmm. Don't see a lot of links/proof in your response either. The preponderance of the human population has grown in the last thousand years, so your percentages are not particularly meaningful.
    IOW, you have no challenges to my challenges to you. From quoting me and posting about something else to quoting me and saying nothing. That's not discussion, Who. Forums are all about discussion.

The preponderance of the human population has grown in the last thousand years, so your percentages are not particularly meaningful.
    Except for that odd but unfounded claim. The rapid rise in population, that is, the escape from the Multusian Trap, came about largely because of the Enlightenment, based on individualism, free markets, science, technology and industry. All of which you want to regulate with your Rousseauian and Hegelian state.

What I post can be backed up with data.

1-2% of man's existence stateless:

Until shortly before the common era, the very last I percent of human history,
    the social landscape consisted of elementary, self-governing, kinship
    units that might, occasionally, cooperate in hunting, feasting, skirmishing,
    trading, and peacemaking. It did not contain anything one could call a state.
    James C Scott, The Art of Not Being Governed.

And the sources for you just-so stories and wishful thinking?

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Safety View Post
    It you do have a choice, either take it or leave it. Nobody is saying you can have your cake and eat it too.
    Was the baker given a choice? No, the law is imposed upon him and he is forced to serve others he chooses not to serve.

Did slaves have a free choice? No, the law imposed slavery on them.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Safety View Post
    It is the freest of all choices, the choice to pursue another way of life. I find it mildly amusing the amount of effort to argue this point about not being free to choose who to serve, when the underlying premise is that someone is forcing you to have a business. That is incorrect, owning a business is a privilege not a right, just like owning a farm is a choice. Let me know when the government forces you to milk cows.
    But not the freedom to choose the career you prefer.

No one has argued you're forced to have a business, I think you're amused at your own musings.

My argument is you should be free to pursue happiness as you so choose, to contract and associate with whom you choose, etc etc etc all without interference from a government so long as you do no harm. And no one here has explained the harm in a baker choosing not to bake a cake for someone.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IOW, you have no challenges to my challenges to you. From quoting me and posting about something else to quoting me and saying nothing. That's not discussion, Who. Forums are all about discussion.

Except for that odd but unfounded claim. The rapid rise in population, that is, the escape from the Multusian Trap, came about largely because of the Enlightenment, based on individualism, free markets, science, technology and industry. All of which you want to regulate with your Rousseauian and Hegelian state.

What I post can be backed up with data.

1-2% of man's existence stateless:

James C Scott, The Art of Not Being Governed.

And the sources for you just-so stories and wishful thinking?

Well, if you rather live in Uganda or Bolivia to enjoy the type of society that is free from government like you advocate for, go right ahead.

- Jefferson Davis

+ Reply to Thread