Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,429x in 4,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    351 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    I'm honestly trying to understand your point, r, but you're not making it easy. Are you suggesting that local officials should only be required to assist federal authorities in doing their job if they (or you) believe that those authorities have a Constitutional mandate to do that job?

Whether or not a federal law - passed by the Congress, signed by the President, upheld by the courts - originates from a power specifically granted by the Constitution or it doesn't is, again, not pertinent to the question of whether local and state officials should or should not be, in effect, conscripted to enforce that law. The Supreme Court, in similar scenarios, has answered that question with a 'No'. It is the very definition of a Red Herring - something dragged across the trail to distract and divert.
    Are local law enforcement being required to hunt down illegals? Or are they simply being asked to alert ICE when the criminal they have detained matches the federal database? And to keep such criminals in custody until ICE arrives? That doesn't sound like enforcing anything, just professional courtesy and respect for the Constitution as well as the citizens they are supposed to protect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ravens Fan For This Useful Post:

resister (12-07-2017)

Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 847
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Ethereal's Avatar Infracted Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 22,370x in 14,146 Posts
    Mentioned
    860 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravens Fan View Post
    The Constitution clearly places immigration in the hands of the Federal Government...
    Disagree.

The nationalization of immigration in America was a consequence of the "progressive" era and WWI in particular. Prior to that, the US had virtually no immigration laws or immigration agencies.
    Two things awe me most, the starry sky above me and the moral law within me.
    --Immanuel Kant

+ Reply to Thread