Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,323x in 10,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kacper View Post
    I tried to do a Linux distro on one of my older PC's to try out but it never installed. Made me wonder if Windows somehow stopped it or if just had a bad disc. Not sure.
    Weve had problems installing Linux on machines where the owners couldnt do it. With those we tell them we have to wipe the drive an start from scratch
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

Kacper (12-15-2017)

Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 333
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Kacper's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,017x in 747 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    Weve had problems installing Linux on machines where the owners couldnt do it. With those we tell them we have to wipe the drive an start from scratch
    I think that machine had 8 or 8.1 on it

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that machine had 8 or 8.1 on it
    8 is a terrible opsys thats why they came out with 10 so fast after 8s release. 8 was a way to make some cash before the 10 giveaway
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

Kacper (12-17-2017)

Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 192
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesYour first GroupTagger First ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Downloads
    Refugee's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,259x in 1,583 Posts
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

7 Ultimate 32 bit, with IE11 and Office 2000 professional. A perfect combination, with DuckDuckGo as a reserve search engine.

I think all these attempts to hide are pointless, if you’re connected to the net you’ve already given up your right to anonymity, it really is as simple as that. I occassionally use Baidu and Yandex and I’m absolutely certain I’m tracked on those as well. Let them get on with it and use it to your advantage to promote yourself, for employment as an example, while trying to stay away from the MS money making scheme upgrades. It’s all about money, but my 7 Ultimate is a copy, so is my Office program and CS6 ... It's all free if you can be bothered to do a little digging around.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Refugee View Post

7 Ultimate 32 bit, with IE11 and Office 2000 professional. A perfect combination, with DuckDuckGo as a reserve search engine.

I think all these attempts to hide are pointless, if you’re connected to the net you’ve already given up your right to anonymity, it really is as simple as that. I occassionally use Baidu and Yandex and I’m absolutely certain I’m tracked on those as well. Let them get on with it and use it to your advantage to promote yourself, for employment as an example, while trying to stay away from the MS money making scheme upgrades. It’s all about money, but my 7 Ultimate is a copy, so is my Office program and CS6 ... It's all free if you can be bothered to do a little digging around.
    Our former IT guy at work said you have an absolute right to any earlier version of windows if you buy any windows version. It took him awhile to get them, but he got some earlier version when another business bought new machines but some of their legacy software wouldn't run on the then current version of windows. I think he took some of the new machines from 8 to XP or 7. I forget which it was. He is dead now so can't ask.

Achievements:
    Created Album picturesYour first GroupTagger First ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Downloads
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our former IT guy at work said you have an absolute right to any earlier version of windows if you buy any windows version. It took him awhile to get them, but he got some earlier version when another business bought new machines but some of their legacy software wouldn't run on the then current version of windows. I think he took some of the new machines from 8 to XP or 7. I forget which it was. He is dead now so can't ask.

It’s different in Asia. When you buy a computer in the west it come sealed and the seller makes a profit on the package, includng the set-up disc inside it. In Asia, when the seller buys the computer he becomes the legal owner, opens the package and sells the individual bits. So, if you buy a computer, you get just that, a computer, minus the OS, or anything else. You then agree on a price, plus an add-on for the bits and pieces, which he sells you individually. It’s rather like me selling you a really cheap car and you thinking you’ve got the bargain of the year, but when you try to turn the ignition key, nothing happens and when you look under the hood, there’s no engine. That comes as an extra.

There’s no copyright, everything on my computer is a copy, with copy passwords. Starting life as an XP with Office 2007, it’s now 7 Ultimate, with Office 2000. I stuck at that, as it’s what works best for me.
    A new basic Lenovo, with all the bits and pieces, will cost me around $350 in SE Asia. Is that about right for the US?

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It’s different in Asia. When you buy a computer in the west it come sealed and the seller makes a profit on the package, includng the set-up disc inside it. In Asia, when the seller buys the computer he becomes the legal owner, opens the package and sells the individual bits. So, if you buy a computer, you get just that, a computer, minus the OS, or anything else. You then agree on a price, plus an add-on for the bits and pieces, which he sells you individually. It’s rather like me selling you a really cheap car and you thinking you’ve got the bargain of the year, but when you try to turn the ignition key, nothing happens and when you look under the hood, there’s no engine. That comes as an extra.

There’s no copyright, everything on my computer is a copy, with copy passwords. Starting life as an XP with Office 2007, it’s now 7 Ultimate, with Office 2000. I stuck at that, as it’s what works best for me.
    A new basic Lenovo, with all the bits and pieces, will cost me around $350 in SE Asia. Is that about right for the US?

Don't really get any discs with a computer any more in the US. You have to create those on your own if you want them, but yes they are filled with programs preinstalled, mostly trialware and the basic MS wares. Usually the first thing I do with a new computer is sit there and uninstall most of what comes with it.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You cant compare prices till you match apples to apples. To me selling a computer with an operating system is a ripoff. With Microsoft legally you cant install a pre installed copy of windows on another computer, anyone that knows how does though anyway.

I couldnt compare a lenova bought ala carte to a system here until you matched them up.

Computers in the US come with the Operating System installed for first time buyers that are clueless. If they sold computers without op sys installed here, custom computer shops and repair like ours would make a fortune
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Downloads
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s a long time since a bought a laptop in the UK, but that came with a disk. In many parts of Asia they don’t, or rather you have to pay extra for the installation and then the shop keeps the disk. The copy OS I now have isn’t the original on my laptop, in fact hardly anything is. It’s a complete mongrel, with updated software from around the planet. It works, but soon I’ll be looking for something new(er). Just wondered at prices in the west.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s a long time since a bought a laptop in the UK, but that came with a disk. In many parts of Asia they don’t, or rather you have to pay extra for the installation and then the shop keeps the disk. The copy OS I now have isn’t the original on my laptop, in fact hardly anything is. It’s a complete mongrel, with updated software from around the planet. It works, but soon I’ll be looking for something new(er). Just wondered at prices in the west.
    Desktops, Laptops come with the windows installed and alot of other trial crap. We get brand new computers that people want the popup ad crap removed.
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

+ Reply to Thread