Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,565x in 94,409 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At least 15 U.N. peacekeepers killed in attack in Congo

Killing peacekeepers doesn't help your cause. I did a peacekeeping tour, not with the UN. With the MFO. It was actually a great tour. We were ready for attacks. At that time I was the M-249 (SAW) gunner. So I had plenty of ammo on hand when we left the wire. And at our base camp the guard tower at the main gate was manned by a machine gun crew- with a belt loading in the M-60. I was impressed that we were allowed to do that.

We were the first unit from the 101st ABN to do that mission since the Gander disaster.

At least 15 United Nations peacekeepers were killed and dozens wounded in eastern Congo in one of the deadliest attacks on the international forces in years, U.N. officials reported Friday.

Heavily armed rebel fighters attacked a forward operating base in a remote part of North Kivu province Thursday night, firing rocket-propelled grenades and destroying at least one armored personnel carrier, U.N. officials said. The firefight went on for at least three hours, and the majority of those killed and injured were from Tanzania, they said.

“This is the worst attack on U.N. peacekeepers in the organization’s recent history,” U.N. Secretary General António Guterres said in a statement. He called the assault “a war crime” and demanded that authorities in Congo — also known as the Democratic Republic of the Congo — bring the perpetrators to justice.

U.N. officials said 53 peacekeepers also were wounded in the attack, and at least five members of Congo’s military were killed.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Captdon (03-19-2018)

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 733
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,515x in 14,777 Posts
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post

Killing peacekeepers doesn't help your cause. I did a peacekeeping tour, not with the UN. With the MFO. It was actually a great tour. We were ready for attacks. At that time I was the M-249 (SAW) gunner. So I had plenty of ammo on hand when we left the wire. And at our base camp the guard tower at the main gate was manned by a machine gun crew- with a belt loading in the M-60. I was impressed that we were allowed to do that.

We were the first unit from the 101st ABN to do that mission since the Gander disaster.

If any of the "peacekeepers" are American out of there along with "advisers" and other militay/ para military operations. And for God's sake leave the UN . You don't have to be a military genius to figure out that the Congo and much of Africa is $#@!ed.
    Last edited by donttread; 12-09-2017 at 09:01 AM.

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    If any of the "peacekeepers" are American out of there along with "advisers" and other militay/ para military operations. And for God's sake leave the UN . You don't have to be a military genius to figure out that the Congo and much of Africa is $#@!ed.
    The UN peacekeeping forces in Africa are manned with African troops.

And the US isn't leaving the UN.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The UN peacekeeping forces in Africa are manned with African troops.

And the US isn't leaving the UN.
    Because Africa , like us, is the logical choice to promote peace anywhere?

Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 496
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsSocial
    waltky's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,140x in 1,616 Posts
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry

60k displaced in Congo violence...

Ethnic Violence in Congo's Northeast Displaces 60,000
    March 18, 2018 — The assailants attacked under cover of darkness, slaughtering Nguli Nzafi 's wife and three children with machetes and arrows.
    The 71-year-old, who also lost all 40 of his cattle in the violence, was forced to flee on foot some 90 kilometers (56 miles) to safety in the town of Bunia. "I have lost everything because I no longer have my wife nor my children," he says. "I cannot eat nor sleep. I'm afraid that this fighting is as bad as the war in 1996-2002." Violence between Nzafi's Hema community and the Lendu ethnic group in Congo's northeast has now killed at least 150 people and has forced more than 32,000 people to flee to Bunia, where humanitarian assistance is strained and the suffering are eager for improved conditions. Another 28,000 have also fled into Uganda, according to the U.N. Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs.

There is a long history of tensions between the Lendu and Hema groups, whose ongoing battles since 1999 already have killed thousands and led the U.N. to deploy a peacekeeping force in the area. Much of it is rooted in economic tensions over land, as the Lendu historically have been farmers on stationery plots of land while the Hema have raised animals and moved throughout the year to good grazing areas. Once those disputes erupted into violence, the cycle of tit-for-tat attacks caused a mounting death toll. The instability here in Ituri province presents yet another challenge for the Congolese military and U.N. peacekeeping force who are already grappling with the threats posed by rebel groups, and with ongoing unrest in the Kasai provinces.

Nguli Nzafi who lost his wife and three children following attacks by assailants, stands with others at a camp for displace people in Bunia, Eastern Congo

The latest round of fighting began in December, Djugu deputy administrator Willy Maese told The Associated Press. "The Lendu had asked the Hema to give them part of their crops. Following their refusals, the Lendu launched attacks directly on the Hemas," he said. Despite a reprieve when authorities came, fighting intensified in February leading to a wave of displacements, he said. Kpadyu Londri, a 26-year-old from Djugu, said the Lendu came to steal cows and ravage fields. They killed his five brothers and a woman, he said. He has found safety in Bunia, 75 kilometers (47 miles) from his home village, but he said conditions are bad. "There are no tents so the rain falls on us, no beds, blankets ... we have already lost seven displaced [people], who have died as a result of starvation and dirty hands disease," he said, referring to outbreaks of cholera.

Beatrice Ngave, 23, lost her daughter to malaria. She called on international organizations to build more latrines and accommodations to prevent the spread of cholera and other diseases. Right now, she said, the camp has only two latrines. Last week, youths in Bunia invaded the office of the governor of the Ituri province, with sticks and machetes, demanding the government to take action, said youth leader Joseph Tibasima. Celestin Tawara Angaika, the president of the Lendu community in Bunia, last week asked the Congolese government for the protection of its members. Congo's Deputy Prime Minister of Interior Security Henri Mova Sakanyi has promised "to strengthen the presence of the Congolese army and the police" in the Djugu and Blukwa villages.

https://www.voanews.com/a/ethnic-vio...0/4303773.html

7. The Following User Says Thank You to waltky For This Useful Post:

Captdon (03-19-2018)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,498
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassSocialOverdrive25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Max Rockatansky's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,801x in 2,984 Posts
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There will be war in Africa for at least the next 50 years, probably the next 100. It's a vast and hugely undeveloped continent.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Max Rockatansky For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (03-19-2018),waltky (03-19-2018)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Rockatansky View Post
    There will be war in Africa for at least the next 50 years, probably the next 100. It's a vast and hugely undeveloped continent.
    Bad geography and bad governments.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Captdon (03-19-2018),waltky (03-19-2018)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bad geography and bad governments.
    Along with raped resources and over population

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,498
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassSocialOverdrive25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Max Rockatansky's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,801x in 2,984 Posts
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    Along with raped resources and over population
    Africa overpopulated? Hardly. The problem isn't overpopulation per se but that they don't have the resources to feed the people they have. A lot of that is self-induced by corrupt government, warlords, etc.

+ Reply to Thread