resister's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,122x in 7,595 Posts
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My brother bought my computer as a gift and set it up, I don't do anything on FB, except "friend" the people I know that request it. Might as well X it out.
    There is no God but Resister and Refugee is his messenger’.

Book of Democrat Things, Chapter 1:1

Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,222
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    leekohler2's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,380x in 1,894 Posts
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by resister View Post
    My brother bought my computer as a gift and set it up, I don't do anything on FB, except "friend" the people I know that request it. Might as well X it out.
    Never a bad idea.
    I'm prancing like a pony.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to leekohler2 For This Useful Post:

resister (12-11-2017)

Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 333
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Kacper's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,017x in 747 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by resister View Post
    How do you delete an account?
    On FB you cannot unless you are dead. You can only "deactivate it". In twitter, you just go to your settings. In snapchat, I just deleted the app by pressing on the icon until the uninstall option popped up.

Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,222
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    leekohler2's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,380x in 1,894 Posts
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kacper View Post
    On FB you cannot unless you are dead. You can only "deactivate it". In twitter, you just go to your settings. In snapchat, I just deleted the app by pressing on the icon until the uninstall option popped up.
    No, you can delete FB completely. Go to the link I posted earlier.
    I'm prancing like a pony.

Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 496
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsSocial
    waltky's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,140x in 1,616 Posts
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

“Even after these efforts … these mob lynchings are continuing.”

Mobs are killing people in India based on false rumors spread through WhatsApp
    Jul 15,`18 - More than a dozen people in India have died since May because mobs are believing viral messages from WhatsApp that accuse people of child trafficking, organ harvesting or other egregious acts.
    Despite efforts by the company to intervene, innocent people in India are being murdered by aspiring vigilantes who are falling prey to false information spread through the popular messaging application WhatsApp. India is WhatsApp’s largest market, where more than 200 million people use it, often as their main form of communication and sending billions of messages a day. But many of its users are also inexperienced with smart phones and vulnerable to misinformation that spreads fast through the app. More than a dozen people have been killed since May by mobs convinced by messages that the people they are lynching are guilty of child trafficking, organ harvesting or other egregious acts.

The company WhatsApp, which is owned by Facebook, is publishing newspaper advertisements about fake news and disclosing when a post is forwarded, which can help indicate whether it is real. But the core appeal of WhatsApp is that it allows people communicate with encryption, which makes communication difficult to regulate. And as India Bureau Chief Annie Gowen of the Washington Post reports, despite the company’s efforts, another person was killed because of these viral messages on Friday. A tech employee working in Hyderabad and his friends were returning to his native village in the state Karnataka when they ran into a mob that, because of rumors spread on the app, was convinced they were child kidnappers.

The tech worker and his friends were able to drive away, but then details about their van spread fast enough for the mob to stop them and kill one of the men inside. “Even after these efforts,” Gowen said, “these mob lynchings are continuing.” She said people in these communities are making grassroot efforts to debunk rumors before the mobs start forming. Police, she said, are setting up their own WhatsApp groups so people can check in to see if the information is accurate.

And in some villages, people are making announcements over loudspeakers, asking WhatsApp users to be wary of the messages they’re receiving. The biggest problem, Gowen said, is digital illiteracy, because a lot of the people falling prey are in less-accessible areas and do not have a robust understanding of how digital information is disseminated and spreads. The Indian Government told WhatsApp earlier this month that it needed to address the issue, but the government at the central level “has been stymied” because of the circumstances, she said.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/world/m...rough-whatsapp

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 733
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,515x in 14,777 Posts
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    I absolutely agree with him !!!

Facebook’s former vice president for user growth Chamath Palihapitiya recently gave a talk at the Stanford Graduate School of Business that’ll probably make you think twice about your social media use ( , but some of his most prominent remarks included:

• That he feels “tremendous guilt” about Facebook. “I think we have created tools that are ripping apart the social fabric of how society works.”
    • “The short-term, dopamine-driven feedback loops we’ve created [including the hearts, likes, and thumbs up of various social media channels] are destroying how society works.” He added, “[There’s] no civil discourse, no cooperation; [only] misinformation, mistruth. And it’s not an American problem–this is not about Russians ads. This is a global problem.”
    • Regarding an incident in which seven innocent men in India were lynched after a hoax about kidnappings spread through WhatsApp: “That’s what we’re dealing with. And imagine taking that to the extreme, where bad actors can now manipulate large swathes of people to do anything you want. It’s just a really, really bad state of affairs.”
    • Unsurprisingly, when it comes to social media, his children “aren’t allowed to use that $#@!.”
    https://www.fastcompany.com/40506058...-apart-society

Electronics is certainly another path addiction can take. I have recognized that for decades . Probably some related engineering involved like with tobacco. As for ripping apart society that might be a bit dramatic on his part. I do think that most people don't understand the massive loss of privacy when they plug in. Privacy the government and the megacorps are only to happy to invade. No shocker there.

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,039x in 24,874 Posts
    Mentioned
    886 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know that I agree that it's ripping apart society. These phones and emails are dramatically changing the way people interact. I have had judges tell me that they try to get these young lawyers to open their mouths but they are afraid. They don't know how to communicate in person. They are great on paper but when it comes time to open and communicate, they just can't do it. I have noticed lately that people sit at lights and text, drive on the highway and text, sit in restaurants and text. Drives me nuts. Standing rule in my family if the daughters are with Mrs. U and I for lunch or dinner: phones stay in car.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

barb012 (07-21-2018),ODB (07-16-2018)

Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 496
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsSocial
    waltky's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,140x in 1,616 Posts
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WhatsApp limits service to counter Indian rumor-led lynchings

WhatsApp limits India service to counter rumor-led lynchings
    July 20, 2018 -- Social messaging platform WhatsApp announced new rules in India on Friday to counter the rise of lynchings tied to messaged rumors.

More than 20 people have died in India in the past two months after viral messages falsely accused visitors of child kidnapping and other crimes. Five men, members of a nomadic group, were lynched early this month in India's Maharashtra state. They were accused of being a child abduction ring after one man spoke to a local girl. "Since the villagers were not satisfied with their answers, they took the men to a room and started beating them with bamboo sticks and stones," police official M. Ramkumar told BBC News.

Messaging service WhatsApp announced changes in service in India Friday, where rumors have led to the lynchings of at least 20 people.

WhatsApp, which is owned by Facebook, said Thursday it will restrict users' capacity to forward content to five other "chats" at once, and remove a "quick forward button" feature allowing media messages to be passed on quickly. WhatsApp has 200 million users in India. "WhatsApp has become an addiction in India. The kind of fake news being spread through these platforms is scary and is getting out of control," Prakash Singh, Police Foundation of India chairman, told Al Jazeera. "Police are being called to put out these fires but it's is the platform which is letting fires spread in the first place. The police have been struggling to prevent these rumors from spreading."

Earlier this week, India's Supreme Court requested new laws to deal with the lynchings. Zafar Islam, spokesman for the ruling Bharatiya Janata party, said the government "is doing everything to ensure WhatsApp and other social media are not misused by vigilante groups or random mobs."

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-N...l&utm_medium=8

+ Reply to Thread