Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,089x in 12,284 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    A minority of fans are suggesting that it is the worst Star Wars film for reasons that don't make sense to me and seem to be coming frankly from an unreasonably conservative place. ... There is just no satisfying some people who are simply looking for reasons to object to any new Star Wars movie.
    Not being any kind of Star Wars expert, I can't comment on this specifically - but it's a tendency that I have observed in other popular entertainment communities and fan bases; many people seem to equate being critical with being knowledgeable. If you simply say, "That was great, I loved it!" they will sneer and dismiss you as a mindless fanboy. If something about the latest film, t.v. season or series novel doesn't strike them as being exactly what they wanted to see, done in exactly the way they expected to see it done, they will find a way to dissect the thing sixteen ways and try to make it appear flawed from every angle. You can be a true fan, even a fanatical one, and still maintain that childlike wonder and enjoyment at seeing your dreams and fantasies flashed up on a big screen (or a small one), alive and in color.
    “Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

Green Arrow (12-16-2017),IMPress Polly (12-16-2017)

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 814
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What do we make of this? What I make of it is that there exists a movement of anti-Star Wars Internet activists who basically just hate the cast demography of the last few entries and have accordingly gone about troll-scoring The Last Jedi on sites that don't verify that you have bothered to see the movie in order to discourage others from buying tickets. People who have actually seen the movie, by contrast, seem to very broadly like it.

BUSTED.
    “Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,804
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,643x in 4,358 Posts
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, in case anyone feels like they're missing something in Standing Wolf's most recent post, he was replying to a post that I deleted whilst apparently it was still up. I deleted it to avoid unnecessary controversy, but you know what, to hell with it:

The point I had sought to make was that there was clearly an organized down-voting movement that was active on the major user review sites on Friday and Saturday, as evidenced by the fact that verified audience members scored The Last Jedi just as highly as The Force Awakens and Rogue One, in contrast to the record-low user reviews posted anonymously to sites like Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic (which contrasted starkly with the sky-high critical review scores on those same sites as well).

What the evidence that has been accrued so far indicates is that there are two types of people who love The Last Jedi and one type that doesn't. In the love column are, in a bit of an unusual development, both artsy-minded cinephiles (people like me) and casual moviegoers (the logical opposite). It's the people situated in-between these two poles -- the hardcore Star Wars fans -- who seem to find this their least favorite installment of the franchise, objecting to it on the conservative grounds that it does not preserve certain franchise traditions that manifestly nobody else cares about and who, furthermore, may well have decided their objection in advance, before having even seen the film. Fortunately (or at least I think it's fortunate anyway), these narrow-minded objectors are clearly disproportionately represented online and, in fact, compose only a small percentage of the people who are seeing this picture, as is typical for the Star Wars franchise.
    Last edited by IMPress Polly; 12-17-2017 at 08:51 AM.

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 814
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Oh, in case anyone feels like they're missing something in Standing Wolf's most recent post, he was replying to a post that I deleted whilst apparently it was still up. I deleted it to avoid unnecessary controversy, but you know what, to hell with it:

The point I had sought to make was that there was clearly an organized down-voting movement that was active on the major user review sites on Friday and Saturday, as evidenced by the fact that verified audience members scored The Last Jedi just as highly as The Force Awakens and Rogue One, in contrast to the record-low user reviews posted anonymously to sites like Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic (which contrasted starkly with the sky-high critical review scores on those same sites as well).

What the evidence that has been accrued so far indicates is that there are two types of people who love The Last Jedi and one type that doesn't. In the love column are, in a bit of an unusual development, both artsy-minded cinephiles (people like me) and casual moviegoers (the logical opposite). It's the people situated in-between these two poles -- the hardcore Star Wars fans -- who seem to find this their least favorite installment of the franchise, objecting to it on the conservative grounds that it does not preserve certain franchise traditions that manifestly nobody else cares about and who, furthermore, may well have decided their objection in advance, before having even seen the film. Fortunately (or at least I think it's fortunate anyway), these narrow-minded objectors are clearly disproportionately represented online and, in fact, compose only a small percentage of the people who are seeing this picture, as is typical for the Star Wars franchise.
    If I understand, you're saying that it's the really fanatical Star Wars aficionados, the ones who live and die on every plot twist and character development - every "disturbance in the force", so to speak - who are expressing their disappointment that the Universe has moved in directions that take it out of their comfort zone?

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,804
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,643x in 4,358 Posts
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Standing Wolf wrote:
    If I understand, you're saying that it's the really fanatical Star Wars aficionados, the ones who live and die on every plot twist and character development - every "disturbance in the force", so to speak - who are expressing their disappointment that the Universe has moved in directions that take it out of their comfort zone?
    It sure appears to be.

Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 333
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Kacper's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,017x in 747 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal Jordan View Post
    One person mentioned that while he would get a lot of hate for this, we need George Lucas back in the SW universe. I can agree to an extent.
    Not likely to happen. Seem that I recall seeing an interview with him somewhere or the other awhile back in which he said he now mostly just liked making movies for himself and his friends that will never be released. Basically stuff with no commercial value that he just wants to see made into films for his own viewing pleasure.

+ Reply to Thread