User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: California housing crisis affecting middle class the most: It's 'a broken system'

Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 597
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cannons Front's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,150x in 2,896 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

California housing crisis affecting middle class the most: It's 'a broken system'

For all of its claims of being an economic paradise, California is a failure when it comes to housing.

Not just low-income, affordable housing, but middle-income, working-class housing for teachers, firemen and long-time residents hoping to live anywhere near work.
    "California has a housing crisis. We can't provide housing to our citizens," said Rita Brandin, with San Diego developer Newland Communities. "In Georgia, Texas and Florida, it can take a year and a half from concept to permits. In California, just the process from concept to approvals, is five years – that does not include the environmental lawsuits faced by 90 percent of projects."

In 2016, the cities of Houston and Dallas built more homes, 63,000, than the entire Golden State, which built 50,000, according to US Census Bureau figures.

Housing costs are so out of touch there it is scarry
    "The powers of the federal government are enumerated; it can only operate in certain cases; it has legislative powers on defined and limited objects, beyond which it cannot extend its jurisdiction." James Madison 1788

Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 369
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Mini Me's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,662x in 1,296 Posts
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here in N. Cal we have homeless folks who cannot afford the sky high rents;and they are working FULL TIME!

I've applied for housing at Senior Apartments, and, typically the waiting period is TWO YEARS or more! Many are moving to Nevada. There are so many homeless, that you cannot go to any shopping center or park without being accosted by panhandlers, and 90% of the police reports are by homeless!

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 697
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Abby08's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 30,342x in 18,869 Posts
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of affordable housing and, California.......my younger sister is low income and, has been disabled for a few years now, she applied for an apartment in a new building being constructed that advertising as, low income.

She got put on the list, they told her she was # 61.....there would be 80 units available.

She checked on it about once a week, calling the woman who was in charge of the application process.

She kept being told, the applications would be mailed out shortly....every time she called, she asked if she was still #61 and, was always told, yes.

The last time she called, the woman told her, " well, those apartments are for farm workers"....... that's right, up until then, not one word of that was mentioned...... that's discrimination if I've ever heard it.....farm workers? As in, ' migrant ' workers?

When qualifying for these apartments, not one word about being a "farm worker" was mentioned, you had to be low income and, make under a certain amount, they told my sister, she qualified.

That's, how $#@!ty California is, they protect illegals, making sure they have a nice new apartment and, give legal citizens, the shaft.

I hope California burns to the $#@!ing ground.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Abby08 For This Useful Post:

barb012 (12-15-2017)

Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 79
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,872x in 10,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannons Front View Post
    For all of its claims of being an economic paradise, California is a failure when it comes to housing.

Not just low-income, affordable housing, but middle-income, working-class housing for teachers, firemen and long-time residents hoping to live anywhere near work.
    "California has a housing crisis. We can't provide housing to our citizens," said Rita Brandin, with San Diego developer Newland Communities. "In Georgia, Texas and Florida, it can take a year and a half from concept to permits. In California, just the process from concept to approvals, is five years – that does not include the environmental lawsuits faced by 90 percent of projects."

In 2016, the cities of Houston and Dallas built more homes, 63,000, than the entire Golden State, which built 50,000, according to US Census Bureau figures.

Here in Charleston SC you can't live here as a low paid or low middle class income. There is no system. I sell my house for as much as I can get. That's the way it goes and the way it's supposed to go. There is no solution. Public housing has never worked; never anyplace.

Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 235
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Boris The Animal's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,312x in 898 Posts
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abby08 View Post
    Speaking of affordable housing and, California.......my younger sister is low income and, has been disabled for a few years now, she applied for an apartment in a new building being constructed that advertising as, low income.

She got put on the list, they told her she was # 61.....there would be 80 units available.

She checked on it about once a week, calling the woman who was in charge of the application process.

She kept being told, the applications would be mailed out shortly....every time she called, she asked if she was still #61 and, was always told, yes.

The last time she called, the woman told her, " well, those apartments are for farm workers"....... that's right, up until then, not one word of that was mentioned...... that's discrimination if I've ever heard it.....farm workers? As in, ' migrant ' workers?

When qualifying for these apartments, not one word about being a "farm worker" was mentioned, you had to be low income and, make under a certain amount, they told my sister, she qualified.

That's, how $#@!ty California is, they protect illegals, making sure they have a nice new apartment and, give legal citizens, the shaft.

I hope California burns to the $#@!ing ground.
    Nahh. A conniption fit at the San Andreas would do the trick more effectively
    IT'S JUST BORIS!

Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,222
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    leekohler2's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,380x in 1,894 Posts
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannons Front View Post

Is there a link for this?
    I'm prancing like a pony.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris The Animal View Post
    Everybody wants to live there, so the market adjusts to demand. I'm not sure why cons would be upset about this, it's the free market at work.

Right?

Also, another thing to consider are the wildfires that have been ravaging CA this year. That's going to have an affect on prices as well.
    Last edited by leekohler2; 12-15-2017 at 11:39 AM.

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 697
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Abby08's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 30,342x in 18,869 Posts
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris The Animal View Post
    I'll accept that as an option.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really want out know what the OP thinks should be done- should real estate developers now be told what they can charge? Should there be a law made?

I would really like to hear what cons think should be done here.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm waiting, cons. Should real estate developers lower prices out of the goodness of their hearts? Should they take losses in order to provide affordable housing?
    Or is something else needed?

Seems to me that the only answer your side ever offers is, "Well if you can't afford to live there, you'll have to live somewhere else." I'm not sure why that doesn't work for you in this situation.
    Last edited by leekohler2; 12-15-2017 at 12:59 PM.

+ Reply to Thread