Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,302x in 8,938 Posts
    Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    I have a machete a good one that I bought in 1970 to clear out a jungle my grandmother had behind her house. The back yard was so overgrown she couldnt even go out there and sit. Its a sad memory for me

I bought the machete I had a sickle and a hand rotary lawn mower and went to work. On the third day I was out there, I went in to get some water and found my grandmother dead in her favorite chair wasnt much point in finishing.
    Sorry to hear that Sir.
    Don't taze me Bro!!

Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 72
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,484x in 7,782 Posts
    Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Knives are too important a tool to take shortcuts with. The knife in the OP is most likely very well suited for its intended role and I would not hesitate to use for its designed purpose, but "survival" knives need to be very versatile and capable of taking a great deal of abuse.

Can you baton with it?
    Could you if necessary, punch a whole in a steel drum?
    Can you dig with it?

For years, I carried a Randall Model 18. Unfortunately, I lost it in a rubber boat insertion in some really nasty surf. By the time I waded ashore, I had an empty sheath. After that, I started carrying a Blackjack Mamba, which turned out to be one of my all time favorite knives. I ended up making a gift of it to the leader of my indigenous security guys where I was at the time.

Now , I have a Gerber LMF attached to my load bearing vest, but my one do it all, take anywhere knife is a Tops SKB. It is the biggest knife I have ever carried, but there is nothing it cannot do.
    "All laws which are repugnant to the Constitution are null and void." Marbury Vs. Madison, 5 US (2 Cranch) 137, 174, 176, (1803). "Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no rule making or legislation which would abrogate them." Miranda Vs. Arizona, 384 US 436 p. 491.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cletus For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (12-26-2017)

Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 364
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Ann Fann's Avatar Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 82x in 60 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    Knives are too important a tool to take shortcuts with. The knife in the OP is most likely very well suited for its intended role and I would not hesitate to use for its designed purpose, but "survival" knives need to be very versatile and capable of taking a great deal of abuse.
    Can you baton with it?
    Can you dig with it?
    For years, I carried a Randall Model 18. Unfortunately, I lost it in a rubber boat insertion in some really nasty surf. By the time I waded ashore, I had an empty sheath. After that, I started carrying a Blackjack Mamba, which turned out to be one of my all time favorite knives. I ended up making a gift of it to the leader of my indigenous security guys where I was at the time.
    Now , I have a Gerber LMF attached to my load bearing vest, but my one do it all, take anywhere knife is a Tops SKB. It is the biggest knife I have ever carried, but there is nothing it cannot do.
    I could dig with it. I wouldn't try punching a hole in a steel drum because it's never come up in any survival situation I have ever been in, and I usually have a hatchet with me, anyway, (somebody already mentioned the Cold Steel model) which obviates the need for batoning with a knife. Right tool for the right job, ya know? Fear not, though, I have a wide variety of soldier of fortune approved "survival knives" to choose from but the best knife for survival is the one you have with you. I don't do too many amphibious assaults these days, my "survival" situations usually involve getting my ass out of the field if I break my leg hunting.

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 78,215x in 52,795 Posts
    Mentioned
    2220 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post

Can you baton with it?
    Can you dig with it?

The Gerber LMFII is what I have used since 2007.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Please visit my blog http://thepoliticalforums.com/blogs/peter/
    (If a post link does not work, see the archives- it should work there.)

Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 72
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,484x in 7,782 Posts
    Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is an excellent choice. It is large enough to perform whatever task you need, but not big enough to be cumbersome. It is a very versatile knife. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a good blade to carry in the bush.

"All laws which are repugnant to the Constitution are null and void." Marbury Vs. Madison, 5 US (2 Cranch) 137, 174, 176, (1803). "Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no rule making or legislation which would abrogate them." Miranda Vs. Arizona, 384 US 436 p. 491.

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 665
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    pragmatic's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,284x in 889 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Am personally a Wusthof fan.

High quality but the fellas are not cheap....

Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 463
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,013x in 2,753 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    I have a machete a good one that I bought in 1970 to clear out a jungle my grandmother had behind her house. The back yard was so overgrown she couldnt even go out there and sit. Its a sad memory for me

I bought the machete I had a sickle and a hand rotary lawn mower and went to work. On the third day I was out there, I went in to get some water and found my grandmother dead in her favorite chair wasnt much point in finishing.
    That's very sad. However, I'm sure your Nona was very happy that you were there at the house. It sounds like she died very peacefully.
    "The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

resister (12-26-2017)

tPF Moderator
    Overall activity: 81.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,712x in 6,701 Posts
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pragmatic View Post
    Am personally a Wusthof fan.

High quality but the fellas are not cheap....
    Getting off the subject here, I have a full set of wusthof kitchen knives, I would recommend them to anyone, I use them daily and with proper care I have to sharpen them once a year and even less.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

GROUCHO MARX,

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,852
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteran
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 14,855x in 8,519 Posts
    Mentioned
    504 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife is partial to kitchen knives from Warther Cutlery of the Warther museum in New Philadelphia, Ohio. https://warthercutlery.com/

The Warther Museum is a wonderful place http://thewarthermuseum.com/ and their knives are guaranteed for life.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

tPF Moderator
    Overall activity: 81.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,712x in 6,701 Posts
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    My wife is partial to kitchen knives from Warther Cutlery of the Warther museum in New Philadelphia, Ohio. https://warthercutlery.com/

The Warther Museum is a wonderful place http://thewarthermuseum.com/ and their knives are guaranteed for life.
    I never heard of that before DG, they remind me of the "OLD" chicago cutlery back when it was top notch, not so anymore.

I have 11 wustoff knives and theyve performed extremely well, if you buy a good set of cutlery you will be able to leave them in your will to someone. Ill never wear these wustoffs out
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

GROUCHO MARX,

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (12-27-2017)

+ Reply to Thread