Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,600x in 838 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kacper View Post
    We had one beagle who would lay a piece of food out in the open and then wiggle up under a blanket or whatever she could drag nearby to hide under and then wait until an Aussie we came along to get the food at which point the beagle would lunge out from under her hiding spot and eat it. LOL. That beagle's sole purpose in life was to taunt that Aussie who would from time to time play her own tricks on the beagle. It was really interesting to see how devious they could be with one another and how happy it made them to get over on each other. They had to be inside dogs almost from the beginning because the beagle would climb out of the kennel and go around and open the gate to let the Aussie out so they could go running about together. Sometimes the beagle would just run circles around the house at 100 mph until we opened the door to let her in. It took me awhile to figure out how they kept getting out until one day I hid and spied on them. The beagle who was tiny would climb the 6 foot fence, jump off, push the latch on the gate that she could barely reach open to let the other dog out and then close the gate back.

I am not sure I want any more dogs after the one we have goes though. I enjoy dogs, but they are such a long-term commitment and they make it hard to travel, etc. plus we are loaded down with cats since moving. I ended up buying land that had a feral colony on it. I am working on at least spaying all the females to stop the growth of it. I have three freshly spayed females in the house right now. There are a few other females but they are taking longer to get used to being petted and handled.
    Funny about your beagle- we had a Border Collie that would climb our 6 foot fence until my parents figured out Border Collies needed space, and work.

I agree 100% about commitment. It's like having kids.
    “Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured…but not everyone must prove they are a citizen. And now, any of those who refuse, or are unable, to prove they are citizens will receive free insurance paid for by those who are forced to buy insurance because they are citizens.”

Jim Hays

2. The Following User Says Thank You to KathyS For This Useful Post:

Kacper (12-29-2017)

Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 3,117
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,898x in 8,780 Posts
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    I think my Gemma might be a little OCD, at least about her food. She does this thing where she'll go over to her food bowl, take out one little piece of kibble, walk anywhere from a few feet away to all the way across the room, and then eat it. Go back to the bowl and do the same thing again, over and over.

At other times, she will poke her snout in and all around the bowl, over and over - not sniffing, just poking - sometimes for more than a minute, before she starts eating. Sometimes the poking appears random, and at other times it almost looks like she's doing it in some kind of pattern.

The other night I was giving both dogs their bedtime treats - a "crunchy bone" and a bacon treat - and I got distracted or was thinking about something else and I mixed up the order I normally give them to her in and she just lay there looking at me like I was crazy.

She's otherwise a very confident, happy, well-adjusted dog. Just a little weird when it comes to her food.
    Dogs do get stuck in routines. One such anecdote stands out in my mind with my late parent's dog. My parents were very routine like in their latter years and so the dog became accustomed to things occurring at specific times. On this one occasion, while I was visiting, my father failed to turn on the 6 o'clock news. At six o'clock precisely, the dog was in front of the TV and when it was not turned on he began barking, demanding that it be turned on.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Bob the Slob (12-29-2017),Kacper (12-29-2017),KathyS (12-29-2017)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,310x in 10,922 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dogs get into house hold routines and they do not like change. Our dog max knows my wife goes to bed first, he waits out side the bathroom door for her, and leads her to the bedroom when she gets in bed, he goes to the side of the bed for his goodnight pet. Then he comes out and stares at me until I walk into my office and get on the computer then he jumps on the futon behind me and stays there until I go out and get in my recliner to finish the night reading my kindle. He comes out and jumps on the couch.

One point about food, his first vet visit, our vet told us do your dog a favor and buy premium dog food only made in america. He said I dont sell dog food like some vets because If I did and made the strong suggestion you buy premium food you would think im promoting my own sales.

He recommended Nutra and thats what weve given our max since that day. Is it better I assum so I went by what the vet said I know it costs 3 times as much, but the little guy is going on 13 soon and has always been healthy.

Remember the chinese food and treat fiasco that had killed dogs ? the food was tainted and bad. We thanked the vet for his advice then.

I bought an 8lb bag of Nutro Ultra small breed senior yesterday it cost me 27.99 plus tax. 8 lb bags are not big.
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

Bob the Slob (12-29-2017),Kacper (12-29-2017),KathyS (12-29-2017),Trish (12-29-2017)

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 220
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Trish's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,754x in 2,330 Posts
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kacper View Post
    We had one beagle who would lay a piece of food out in the open and then wiggle up under a blanket or whatever she could drag nearby to hide under and then wait until an Aussie we came along to get the food at which point the beagle would lunge out from under her hiding spot and eat it. LOL. That beagle's sole purpose in life was to taunt that Aussie who would from time to time play her own tricks on the beagle. It was really interesting to see how devious they could be with one another and how happy it made them to get over on each other. They had to be inside dogs almost from the beginning because the beagle would climb out of the kennel and go around and open the gate to let the Aussie out so they could go running about together. Sometimes the beagle would just run circles around the house at 100 mph until we opened the door to let her in. It took me awhile to figure out how they kept getting out until one day I hid and spied on them. The beagle who was tiny would climb the 6 foot fence, jump off, push the latch on the gate that she could barely reach open to let the other dog out and then close the gate back.

I am not sure I want any more dogs after the one we have goes though. I enjoy dogs, but they are such a long-term commitment and they make it hard to travel, etc. plus we are loaded down with cats since moving. I ended up buying land that had a feral colony on it. I am working on at least spaying all the females to stop the growth of it. I have three freshly spayed females in the house right now. There are a few other females but they are taking longer to get used to being petted and handled.
    Yes, I agree. Animals are a big commitment. I had a emotionally dramatic experience with my family dog when I was in my mid teens and I've never gotten another dog because of it. To be brief, he was hit when he was crossing the road from a field to our house (I lived in the country). He was still alive but bleeding out and in great pain. My parents weren't home so I had to shoot him myself. I never got over the sight of him looking at me as I held the gun out. It still has an emotional effect on me.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Trish For This Useful Post:

Kacper (12-29-2017),KathyS (12-29-2017),pragmatic (12-29-2017)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,310x in 10,922 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trish View Post
    Yes, I agree. Animals are a big commitment. I had a emotionally dramatic experience with my family dog when I was in my mid teens and I've never gotten another dog because of it. To be brief, he was hit when he was crossing the road from a field to our house (I lived in the country). He was still alive but bleeding out and in great pain. My parents weren't home so I had to shoot him myself. I never got over the sight of him looking at me as I held the gun out. It still has an emotional effect on me.
    Ugh I truly feel for you having to do that, years ago police used to shoot dogs in the street that were struck by cars and suffering and very badly injured, what a horrible disgusting job it was. Today they do not do that they call animal control who reponds quickly and sometimes euthanized the dog as soon as hes inside a vehicle to stop its suffering.

My wife had a collie she told me when she was a young girl, the dog would follow her to school stealthily so she didnt know it and then when she got to school she would have to wallk her all the way back. It was a female and she used to polish its nails and curl her hair and put ribbons in her hair. One day the dog was no where to be found and never seen again, they believe someone stole her, she told me the dog was a sweetheart and loved everyone.

I had to convince her to get another do when we first got married and had our first daughter.
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

KathyS (12-29-2017),Trish (12-29-2017)

Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 333
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Kacper's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,017x in 747 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trish View Post
    Pretty horrible to experience even if the right thing to do. We had many dogs die growing up so I am still a little fixated on that as well. Give me a new puppy, and my first thought is, "Damn your cute butt. I am going to have to bury you one day and it is going to break my heart."
    I will never let a dog out off a leash out of a fenced area because of that. My neighbor kept saying passive aggressive stuff to me about that because he let his run around with a shock collar and felt I was stiffling mine by not letting her run free. He learned the hard way 6 months ago unfortunately that a shock collar won't keep a dog from getting run over. Sad. She was such a sweet dog too. I know the man who hit her. He said he was barely going down the road and didn't even see her, but felt the bump as he rolled over her. He is an old guy whom I have never seen even close to the speed limit. The dog just got fixated on something I guess and wasn't paying attention.

Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 439
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    pragmatic's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,750x in 1,195 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    Dogs do get stuck in routines. One such anecdote stands out in my mind with my late parent's dog. My parents were very routine like in their latter years and so the dog became accustomed to things occurring at specific times. On this one occasion, while I was visiting, my father failed to turn on the 6 o'clock news. At six o'clock precisely, the dog was in front of the TV and when it was not turned on he began barking, demanding that it be turned on.

Lucy the Wonder Dog gets fed at 5PM. If by chance i am sidetracked and miss that special moment in the universe, she is there barking to remind me. She is seldom more that 5 minutes of so off.

She also has super powers. Here she is flying around the back yard a few inches above the ground.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pragmatic For This Useful Post:

Bob the Slob (12-29-2017),KathyS (12-29-2017)

Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 3,117
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,898x in 8,780 Posts
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pragmatic View Post
    Lucy the Wonder Dog gets fed at 5PM. If by chance i am sidetracked and miss that special moment in the universe, she is there barking to remind me. She is seldom more that 5 minutes of so off.

She also has super powers. Here she is flying around the back yard a few inches above the ground.

She appears to have border collie blood. Is she a border collie or a cross?
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Bob the Slob (12-29-2017)

Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 509
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Bob the Slob's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 300x in 251 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your dog sounds perfectly....individual. I love the reasons given and believe them. Dogs are our best buddies but sometimes I assign human characteristics to them instead of trying to understand what they are doing. This has been helpful. Thanks.
    If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop telling the truth about them.

Adlai E. Stevenson

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Bob the Slob For This Useful Post:

KathyS (12-29-2017)

Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 439
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    pragmatic's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,750x in 1,195 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    She appears to have border collie blood. Is she a border collie or a cross?
    Border collie/Bulldog mix. Can't really tell from the picture but she has a distinct under bite. Rather endearing actually.

Rescue i picked up several years ago when she was about 5 yrs old. Was in a no kill shelter and had been there for over a year. She is much better now but it is/was pretty clear she had been mistreated before she got to the shelter.

Wonderful personality. Very fast learner. Has been quite the positive addition to the household.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pragmatic For This Useful Post:

Bob the Slob (12-29-2017),KathyS (12-29-2017)

+ Reply to Thread