Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,008x in 12,234 Posts
    Mentioned
    414 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My Dog

I think my Gemma might be a little OCD, at least about her food. She does this thing where she'll go over to her food bowl, take out one little piece of kibble, walk anywhere from a few feet away to all the way across the room, and then eat it. Go back to the bowl and do the same thing again, over and over.

At other times, she will poke her snout in and all around the bowl, over and over - not sniffing, just poking - sometimes for more than a minute, before she starts eating. Sometimes the poking appears random, and at other times it almost looks like she's doing it in some kind of pattern.

The other night I was giving both dogs their bedtime treats - a "crunchy bone" and a bacon treat - and I got distracted or was thinking about something else and I mixed up the order I normally give them to her in and she just lay there looking at me like I was crazy.

She's otherwise a very confident, happy, well-adjusted dog. Just a little weird when it comes to her food.
    "The first thing you want to do after being shot is make sure you are not shot again." - Ace Atkins

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak."
    - Larry McMurtry

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

DGUtley (12-28-2017),KathyS (12-28-2017),pragmatic (12-29-2017),Trish (12-28-2017),Wehrwolfen (07-02-2018)

Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 333
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Kacper's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,017x in 747 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a dog like that. She is very ritualistic when it comes to eating.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kacper For This Useful Post:

KathyS (12-28-2017),Standing Wolf (12-28-2017),Trish (12-28-2017)

Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Orion Rules's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 694x in 569 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    I think my Gemma might be a little OCD, at least about her food. She does this thing where she'll go over to her food bowl, take out one little piece of kibble, walk anywhere from a few feet away to all the way across the room, and then eat it. Go back to the bowl and do the same thing again, over and over.

At other times, she will poke her snout in and all around the bowl, over and over - not sniffing, just poking - sometimes for more than a minute, before she starts eating. Sometimes the poking appears random, and at other times it almost looks like she's doing it in some kind of pattern.

The other night I was giving both dogs their bedtime treats - a "crunchy bone" and a bacon treat - and I got distracted or was thinking about something else and I mixed up the order I normally give them to her in and she just lay there looking at me like I was crazy.

She's otherwise a very confident, happy, well-adjusted dog. Just a little weird when it comes to her food.
    This is so interesting, thank you for sharing. You said that your dog is poking? Your dog is communicating what it is finding. Meat for animals is never any good for them.

There is something else and that is the same things that animals will do when they know they are eating what they may feel compelled to not feel right further ingesting.

If dogs lived a thousand years, they would tell men they learned to sniff the food first, because the only natural way out is to just let them all go find out all on their own.

Bears are not predators, but shy and friendly animals, because if not so, a mother and her baby bear never would have made themselves apparent, but for trees killings.

The owls refused to make their presence known for a picture because the owls did not want it known their existence because hunters find new way to be finding a killing.
    Plant farms and animal sanctuaries with just compensation: Genesis 1:29-30, 2-3, Lev. 24:18-22, Psalm 50, Isaiah 1, 11:6-9, 65, 66, Daniel 1, Hosea 2:18, Revelation 20-22.

Creation of horses: Zechariah 6:1-8, 14:20. Wild Horses, burros persecuted, parted out in violation of Public Law 92-195:
    https://twitter.com/WildHorseEdu

Jesus was a Vegetarian: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx6J6jh1Dzo

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Orion Rules For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 511
    Achievements:
    Social10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    KathyS's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,600x in 838 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SW, I've had a dog that would gather 3 or pieces of kibble, move to another area, eat them one by one, then return for more. Currently, our Boxer, Katie will nose the feeder before eating (we have a 10 pound feeder). I think it's because she is trying to cause more food to drop down into the bowl.

I think animals are like we humans, they prefer a certain method to eat food. For instance, I don't like my food to touch, e.g., corn can't touch the chicken, etc.

I lol about her confusion over the treats!
    “Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured…but not everyone must prove they are a citizen. And now, any of those who refuse, or are unable, to prove they are citizens will receive free insurance paid for by those who are forced to buy insurance because they are citizens.”

Jim Hays

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KathyS For This Useful Post:

Kacper (12-28-2017),Standing Wolf (12-28-2017),Trish (12-28-2017)

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 220
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Trish's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,754x in 2,330 Posts
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read somewhere that sometimes dogs will bring their food closer to one of their masters and eat it. It's supposed to be a way to show submissiveness and also calm their anxiety so they feel safe and secure while they're eating. Does she bring her food close to you or your wife to eat?

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trish For This Useful Post:

KathyS (12-28-2017),Standing Wolf (12-29-2017)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trish View Post
    I read somewhere that sometimes dogs will bring their food closer to one of their masters and eat it. It's supposed to be a way to show submissiveness and also calm their anxiety so they feel safe and secure while they're eating. Does she bring her food close to you or your wife to eat?
    My dog sometimes does that among her many curious habits. She won't eat sometimes unless I am there with her. Sometimes she does the take one piece at a time and run in another room with it. Sometimes she will just let the food sit there until the cat comes back in the house and then scarf it down in front of the cat out of spite. One of her more curious habits is to set the first piece aside to eat last, eat the rest, and then eat the first piece. I think some of it comes from the fact that she spent a good bit of her early life outside in a kennel with other dogs and only became an inside dog once they were all dead. She had no interest whatsoever in humans until then. You couldn't really get her to interact with you that much she was so bonded to one of the other older female dogs. We used to take in old dogs or hunting dogs that wouldn't hunt--mostly beagles/hounds--as rescues to keep them from being put down. Once the last of the other dogs died, we had to bring her in because she was going to die if we didn't she was so terrified of being alone. She trembled non-stop even when she was asleep until we brought her in and got her acclimated to inside living.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kacper For This Useful Post:

KathyS (12-28-2017),MisterVeritis (12-29-2017),Standing Wolf (12-29-2017),Trish (12-28-2017)

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 1,333
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,008x in 12,234 Posts
    Mentioned
    414 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes, come to think of it, she does.
    "The first thing you want to do after being shot is make sure you are not shot again." - Ace Atkins

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak."
    - Larry McMurtry

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

KathyS (12-28-2017),Trish (12-28-2017)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kacper View Post
    My dog sometimes does that among her many curious habits. She won't eat sometimes unless I am there with her. Sometimes she does the take one piece at a time and run in another room with it. Sometimes she will just let the food sit there until the cat comes back in the house and then scarf it down in front of the cat out of spite. One of her more curious habits is to set the first piece aside to eat last, eat the rest, and then eat the first piece. I think some of it comes from the fact that she spent a good bit of her early life outside in a kennel with other dogs and only became an inside dog once they were all dead. She had no interest whatsoever in humans until then. You couldn't really get her to interact with you that much she was so bonded to one of the other older female dogs. We used to take in old dogs or hunting dogs that wouldn't hunt--mostly beagles/hounds--as rescues to keep them from being put down. Once the last of the other dogs died, we had to bring her in because she was going to die if we didn't she was so terrified of being alone. She trembled non-stop even when she was asleep until we brought her in and got her acclimated to inside living.
    Wow - what a truly wonderful thing you and your wife did for those dogs. I really admire people like yourself who do these incredibly awesome acts of kindness. I also enjoyed the part where she will wait until the cat shows up before chowing down. That's funny.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trish For This Useful Post:

Kacper (12-28-2017),KathyS (12-28-2017)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, come to think of it, she does.
    Mystery solved. You're apparently the head of the pack. :0)

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trish For This Useful Post:

KathyS (12-28-2017)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow - what a truly wonderful thing you and your wife did for those dogs. I really admire people like yourself who do these incredibly awesome acts of kindness. I also enjoyed the part where she will wait until the cat shows up before chowing down. That's funny.
    We had one beagle who would lay a piece of food out in the open and then wiggle up under a blanket or whatever she could drag nearby to hide under and then wait until an Aussie we came along to get the food at which point the beagle would lunge out from under her hiding spot and eat it. LOL. That beagle's sole purpose in life was to taunt that Aussie who would from time to time play her own tricks on the beagle. It was really interesting to see how devious they could be with one another and how happy it made them to get over on each other. They had to be inside dogs almost from the beginning because the beagle would climb out of the kennel and go around and open the gate to let the Aussie out so they could go running about together. Sometimes the beagle would just run circles around the house at 100 mph until we opened the door to let her in. It took me awhile to figure out how they kept getting out until one day I hid and spied on them. The beagle who was tiny would climb the 6 foot fence, jump off, push the latch on the gate that she could barely reach open to let the other dog out and then close the gate back.

I am not sure I want any more dogs after the one we have goes though. I enjoy dogs, but they are such a long-term commitment and they make it hard to travel, etc. plus we are loaded down with cats since moving. I ended up buying land that had a feral colony on it. I am working on at least spaying all the females to stop the growth of it. I have three freshly spayed females in the house right now. There are a few other females but they are taking longer to get used to being petted and handled.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kacper For This Useful Post:

KathyS (12-29-2017),Trish (12-29-2017)

+ Reply to Thread