User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Are religions, our tribes within tribes, now redundant and a costly moral and financi

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 400
    Overall activity: 1.3%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Gnostic's Avatar Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 8x in 8 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are religions, our tribes within tribes, now redundant and a costly moral and financi

Are religions, our tribes within tribes, now redundant and a costly moral and financial burden.

Governments create laws for us, and some think some Gods do as well. Most countries are following their secular government laws while ignoring religious laws.

I think religions, our tribes within tribes, are now redundant, and a costly moral and financial burden. Like it or not, the state is now our real Gods. We follow state laws.

I like that, given that secular law is rather more moral than the laws of the supernatural Gods.

Those Gods like and use all kinds of evils against their powerless creations. They kill us with frivolous cause when they can just as easily cure, --- when they are not asking us to hate our LGBTQ children, --- and devalue the souls of women, --- just for the hell of it.

Nice that most states do not allow that evil to go too far within its borders.

Governments should raise the bar of goodness for religions though. They are getting way too loony in the far Qanon riddled right wing.

Religions promote that we trust our governments as they are there by the will of God.

Religions then proceed to preach for laws that are well below the standards of good governance and what the states have put into place.

The states that allow this are not doing their duty of having the secular law preached by those tax exempt professional con men and liars who run the religion.

If religions are so corrupt to not recognize the better state ideology and law, they should not be allowed to preach it’s evil and inferior theology and laws.

Our children deserve better than what our God religions are giving them.

We pay them many hundreds of dollars yearly.

I am a religious person. My God is as real as all other Gods. He is redundant. That is why Gnostic Christians are perpetual seekers for a better set of laws and rules to live by.

I think all the other Gods are redundant, regardless of the vast amount of good they gave us in the past.

I think they have become harmful to our Western societies.

Thoughts?

Regards
    DL

Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 2,009
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Common Sense's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,124x in 11,355 Posts
    Mentioned
    545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The belief and adherence to the concepts of Gods, deities and the supernatural, have historically been important foundations of law, social order and community. These beliefs have been used to throughout history to offer simplistic answers to complex questions, to unite communities, and even as a tool of control.

Religions and the laws they created, have been important foundations that society has built upon (and also fought over). However, as the age of reason, science and rationality began to disprove elements of religious dogma, it became clear that these beliefs weren’t infallible. In fact, they were deeply flawed. And despite the efforts of zealots and fundamentalists, laws and moral codes have largely replaced the belief in magic and myth, with reason and science.

And while people should be free to hold their own religious beliefs, they should have no influence on laws and government.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,530x in 55,047 Posts
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common Sense View Post

And while people should be free to hold their own religious beliefs, they should have no influence on laws and government.

What utter nonsense. Religious people do and should have just as much influence on laws and be represented and hold offices in government just as much as those who hold secular beliefs.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Captdon (09-28-2022),MisterVeritis (09-25-2022),Peter1469 (09-25-2022)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    What utter nonsense. Religious people do and should have just as much influence on laws and be represented and hold offices in government just as much as those who hold secular beliefs.
    Agreed. I misspoke.

Everyone should be free to participate in the democratic process. Regardless of their beliefs.

What I meant was, personal religious beliefs should not be codified into law, based on theology alone.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Common Sense For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (09-25-2022),Standing Wolf (09-25-2022)

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Agreed. I misspoke.

Everyone should be free to participate in the democratic process. Regardless of their beliefs.

What I meant was, personal religious beliefs should not be codified into law, based on theology alone.

You mean like laws against murder, theft, lying, and so on?
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Captdon (09-28-2022)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    You mean like laws against murder, theft, lying, and so on?
    Like I said, based on theology alone. Certainly there are basic laws that are described in both religious doctrine and secular laws. I haven’t suggested that a law or value should be dismissed simply because it is included in a religious code. But you already knew that.

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed. I misspoke.

Great answer.

In the best case scenario--laws will be based on secular reasoning.

The problem lies in electing leaders who are enlightened enough to see past their own religious constraints in order to make truly beneficial choices for society.

Religions tout their own flavor of morality, but the highest morality exists outside of religious indoctrination. Religion provides a context for immoral behavior--usually in the form of immoral acts perpetrated against those of other religions. So, to be truly moral, laws must be secular in nature.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,542x in 94,964 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Secular reasoning is still informed by our religious past although secular humanist expend a lot of energy to hide this.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

countryboy (09-25-2022),DGUtley (09-26-2022)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Like I said, based on theology alone. Certainly there are basic laws that are described in both religious doctrine and secular laws. I haven’t suggested that a law or value should be dismissed simply because it is included in a religious code. But you already knew that.
    Those laws originate in religion alone. But you knew that. As you said earlier, you misspoke.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Captdon (09-28-2022)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree. We had a similar discussion here a couple of months ago. Laws and morality do not need religion in order to develop. However, religion depends on an adherence to laws and z morals. That suggests secular laws predate religious laws.

The earliest laws were kind of like today's techie acronym' - IFTTT. Or, If this, then that. Like the Mesopotamian Code of Ur-Nammu. Those laws were like (paraphrase) If you steal from your neighbor -- you will be put to death. Stuff like that. Those types of laws were the basis of all ancient civilizations. Eventually, they worked religion into their laws and that's where it got a little screwy. They still kept a good deal of the earlier laws, but they added some oddities. Like the Aztecs with moral that idolized parents who offered up their children for sacrifice. Or, a more modern example--the Islamic law that does not allow insulting the Prophet.

So while religion plays a role in enforcing laws, it pretty much came after the fact.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

+ Reply to Thread